PDA

View Full Version : MAINTENANCE OF ROOF AC DRAIN

dale farley
02-02-2013, 09:01 AM
For all who have roof Air Conditioners, there are some rather simple maintenance procedures that you can do and save yourself some time and money. The last time I did mine, I was pleased to find them in better condition than I expected. In addition to changing/cleaning your filters, you can clean the coils and clear the drain lines.
I assume everyone who has roof airs, has drain lines that drain the condensation under the bus. It is rather important that we watch the drain lines and make sure they are not clogged up. I know one Prevost owner who did not do this, and the damage cost over $8000 for repairs to the ceiling and wall of his coach.

If the drain lines stop up, it is very similar to what happens in your house. The water has to go somewhere, and when the trough inside the unit gets full, it starts running over. In your house, it usually messes up your carpet. In the bus, the water may run over in your ceiling area. It can do serious damage to ceilings, walls, and floors before you know what is happening. I would recommend checking your drains and flushing with a small amount of detergent and water.

Fortunately, all my drains were working, but I still added a few drops of dish detergent and flushed the lines. I was careful not to get any of the detergent on the coils. In my case there was one drain on each side of the AC unit. The 2 lines on each unit "T" into one drain line that goes under the bus. It is a rather simple but important maintenance item.
It is better to use some form of pads to protect your roof before you get on it. At a minimum, put your weight on the joints when you step. I use foam shop mats to help distribute the weight. Switch off all power to each unit, and remove the outside cover and the sheet metal cover that encloses the electrical connections. Locate your drain line and mix some water and detergent and see if it flows out the drain. If possible, blow out each line with low pressure air. I did this with a long nozzle on my air line. While you are in the unit, gently blow the dirt and debris from the coils. High pressure may damage the coils. This procedure may prevent serious problems in the future.

Ray Davis
02-02-2013, 09:46 AM
I can't vouch for this, but a service technician once told me they take a bit of compressed air to blow out the drain lines, HOWEVER, they do it from the bottom of the coach up, not down from the AC. I guess the rationale is that if something got stuck, you blow it from the opposite direction to clear it?

dale farley
02-02-2013, 01:32 PM
Ray, That does make sense. Another reason may be because it is difficult to get a nozzle in the drain.