PDA

View Full Version : FMCA - Michelin Advantage tire purchase program. An Update

tommybahama
02-01-2013, 04:51 PM
Being French, I have to have Michelin tires.

Last year I replaced my aging steers with new XZA2 Energy tires at an installed cost of nearly $2,000.

This year I spent some time contacting Michelin dealers in Tennessee, Kentucky, and Virginia to buy 6 more tires under the FMCA's Michelin Advantage program. Surprisingly, many dealers had never heard of the program or didn't want to participate. One dealer offered me a cash side deal off the books.

Happily, I found TCI, a chain of some 150 tire dealers across the country. Their Nashville store, which I settled on for my tires, outfits motorhomes and buses under the FMCA Michelin program all the time.

I learned during my visit that TCI is owned by Michelin. They do sell other brands however. Here's (http://www.tirecenters.com) their site.

Attached is my invoice. You can see for yourself I saved about $2,000 from list. Gotta recommend them for professionalism and value.

Ray Davis
02-01-2013, 06:04 PM
I've not done t his, but my understanding is that you can log into the FMCA site, and there get instructions on how to get the FMCA deal, and what dealers will honor it.

Ray

Gil_J
02-01-2013, 08:50 PM
I have used TCI twice; both times buying through the FMCA program. Many dealers won't honor this program because they don't make a dime on the tires. They don't even know what the FMCA price is. They do make money on the installation and balancing.

FWIW, TCI's Tampa store does not like motorhomes. Even though it's my closest dealer, I use the one in Orlando. The one in Dothan AL laso does a good job.

AmeriStar
02-02-2013, 04:55 PM
What it boils down to is the FMCA Tire program is Michelin National Account pricing. This is very similar to dealer pricing. Dealers are not obligated to inform you about this program.
FMCA has National Account status and accepts your payment, then directly pays Michelin. Michelin ships your tires to the desired dealer for installation.
Many Michelin dealers do not like the program and become unfriendly when you persue the issue, because it cut's them out of the sale of the tires.
Believe me, ALL dealers know what this is.
The best approach is to find a dealer that will do the labor of the mounting and balancing of customer provided tires, and make your best deal with them.

Bill Dator
02-02-2013, 09:25 PM
This past October and November I went though hell trying to get tires under the FMCA program. My local dealer said no problem and would order tires, after 6 weeks I called Michelin direct they said dealer had to order 2000 pounds to get my tires and he only had about 1100 pounds ordered. Yes I said pounds. I asked Michelin for name of dealer that would accept a National Account order in NYC area after 2 calls they never gave me the information. As my date to leave for Florida was fast approaching I ended up with 6 Goodyears. The bottom line is that an authorized dealer uses the National Account orders to round out an order to reach the magic 2000 pound number. I got to Florida and bought a 03 Prevost Country Coach, its has Michelin's and I am now selling my BlueBird with the new tires.

JIM KELLER
02-03-2013, 07:32 AM
William, List that Bird on Prevost-Stuff and don't remain a member of the " Two Bus Club. "

tommybahama
02-03-2013, 01:21 PM
AmeriStar makes a good point. TCI Nashville said they would deliver the Michelins to an installer of my choice anywhere in the multi-county metro area for $50.00. Call your nearest TCI. I'm thinking Michelin might be not too happy if one of their tire centers refused to participate in the Advantage program.

BTW, my tires were dated 48th week of 2012. Hard to find fresher tires in stock than those.

Jamie Bradford
02-03-2013, 05:22 PM
Hi David,

Thanks for this info - I will need some tires in the very near future.

Are Michelins necessary ? What have other people used ?

Jamie

Pete
02-03-2013, 11:35 PM
Jamie, I put a set of Continental tires on my coach the last time and have had good luck with them. Bought from Southern Tire Mart, which has stores all over the south and southeast. Check them out. If you need further info, let me know.

Gil_J
02-04-2013, 06:30 AM
Jamie, at the FMCA price it doesn't make sense not to run Michelins. You're not far from TCI-Orlando; they do good work.

Coloradobus
02-04-2013, 10:07 AM
We like michelins, but the next set of tires we may rethink purchasing since most tires we all buy will age out. Factoring cost per mile per year, michelins are expensive. When we bought the current bus, we had our choice of any tire. Fiirestone FS400's, 315/80/22.5 were the next choice after Michelin, reason being the FS400's ride smoother. Past several busses had Michelin Pilotes,not made any longer, which when new we could definitely tell they were new by how the coach rode......smoothly. The Michelin Energy tires known for less rolling resistance hence gaining you a bit better mpg are made of harder compounds, resulting in a slightly harsher ride. Owning an 8V equipped coach, the mileage increase gained by running Michelin Energy tires might be a couple of percent over 10,000 miles. We have recently had comparable mpg increases just by towing a lighter towed car, and slowing down. Remember, every five miles an hour over 55 mph, adds thirty cents to every gallon of fuel burned. Running from home to OKC to Las Vegas to home towing a 3400 lbs car instead of a 5700 lbs car, we gained .2 mpg over the 2500 mile loop we have before. (I-70, I-35,I-40, I-15, I-70)

tommybahama
02-04-2013, 11:10 AM
Jamie - here's an interesting POG thread on the subject of tire brands (http://http://forum.prevostownersgroup.com/showthread.php?3830-Firestone-Tires&highlight=michelin+advantage). Toyo, Hancook, Double Coin, are several little-known ones that manufacture 315/R80 22.5s.

There's gotta be a reason why the original equipment on the shells that came out of Sainte-Claire, Quebec over the decades were Michelins.

jack14r
02-04-2013, 01:53 PM
In my mind the price at the FMCA deal and the known quality of Michelin tires make it an easy decision to purchase the Michelins compared to any other brand for my bus.

Bruce Kaltenbrun
02-04-2013, 06:45 PM
We bought 6 tires from Pomps Tires in Iron Mountain Michigan. Pomps is an upper mid-west tire dealer. Bought tires through FMCA pricing with no problems with Michelin or the tire dealer. We were even paid $100 each for our 6-1/2 year old tires with side-wall cracking. At this kind of pricing, why would anybody pass up Michelin tires? If you go through the proper steps/phone calls, for verification, you'll have no problem. It's a no-brainer. Iron Moutain Pomps - cudos to you!!!.

otto
02-05-2013, 10:04 AM
On the subject of tires...we just returned from a trip to the Keys. While on the Florida turnpike the passenger tag tire blew. I used Sam's club and had great service. We had a spare so drove home to North Carolina on the spare. I have two questions and one comment for all you wisdom figures.
1. Any suggestions on a replacement spare?
2. About ten minutes before the tire blew another driver signaled to me(as best as I could understand) that I had a flat tire. I stopped, checked the tires and could not find anything wrong with any of the tires. Can anyone tell me what I missed when I checked the tire? Maybe the tread was separating and I could not see it when I stopped?
Fortunately, the blown tire was on the tag wheel. I called Prevost since I was 7 miles from the nearest exit. They assured me I could drive to the exit with the tag wheel up so that the service man could change the tire in a much safer location.

Thanks, Otto

dale farley
02-05-2013, 12:11 PM
Otto,

I think you are probably right about the tread separating and being in a place you couldn't see when you stopped. I don't know of anything else the driver could have seen. Fortunately, you spotted it before more damage was done. I had an inside driver tire blow and take an airbag with it.

jack14r
02-05-2013, 02:14 PM
If that was a 365 I have 2 that you can have for free,they are 2005 dates.

Gil_J
02-06-2013, 08:48 AM
It's possible the motorist saw the tire wiggling due to extremely low pressure. When inspecting your tires it's a must to check pressure.

Most conversions, especially XLs, ride extremely low in the rear when the tag is lifted. For that reason I almost never raise tge tag. If driving with the tag raised make sure the rear axle tires are inflated to safely carry the extra weight. FWIW, your rear axle likely exceeds its maximum weight rating and the Feds maximum axle rating. If you must drive tag up, slow down.

Jamie Bradford
04-18-2013, 05:15 PM
I went to TCI in Orlando today - per recommendations from this thread. Very Good experience !! The Michelin prices were the same as quoted earlier in the thread - $ 586 + fet + installation. A local tire store is supposed to give me $ 75 per tire for what came off the bus. I guess I am good to go for a while...............

I would recommend TCI to those who are in the Orlando area and need tire service.

Jamie

Dick in Wisconsin
04-18-2013, 08:54 PM
Are these the kind of tires that would be used on a semi-tractor and/or trailer or a dump truck? Disregarding time, how many miles will these tires run? Has anyone had any luck selling to a trucker or a dump truck guy (someone who puts lots of miles on a truck) after four or five years for a decent price?

jimshoen
04-19-2013, 02:03 PM
I bought eight Michelins in June through the FMCA program at Les Schwab Tires here in Reno. They cover the Northwest. No problems at all. Very helpfull and a few hundred dollars for mounting.

jack14r
04-19-2013, 02:45 PM
Yes I have sold some and I think that $100 is the maximum that you can get for them,the 365 have zero value.

Barney
04-21-2013, 10:09 AM
Do many owner's carry spare rubber with them?

Are any of the wheels the same so can be rotated or swapped around?

dale farley
04-21-2013, 10:19 AM
Barney,

Very few carry a spare. They take up a lot of space, cost a lot of money and the time clock keeps on ticking even though mileage is not accumulated. Even though flats do happen, the odds are in our favor.

jack14r
04-21-2013, 01:21 PM
Coaches that have 365s on the steer and tag the tag tires and wheel will fit on the steer and you can mount a 315 on the tag to get moving again.

garyde
04-21-2013, 04:12 PM
The 315's are pretty much available in many places thru out the country. Not necessarily in Michelins exclusively. The 365's are the issue.
It would be great to know where in the different states these are stocked. Also, Your not always going to get tires with current dates .
Even after making an appointment for new tires at Prevost, they only had tires with date codes 2 or 3 years old.

Joe Camper
04-22-2013, 06:36 AM
So what did u do Gary go elsewhere make them reorder or bite the bullet

dale farley
04-22-2013, 08:44 AM
We were told by one of the major tire manufacturers at one of the POG Rallies that the clock didn't actually start ticking until the tires were mounted if they had been stored in a somewhat dark warehouse. I don't remember if they said it had to be climate controlled?

n33d2camp
04-22-2013, 10:10 AM
That is a partial truth. The actual criteria is the tires are warranted six years from time of mounting. The total life of the tire however under all circumstances is 10 years from the date code. After six years there is no warranty, but with regular inspections the tires can be used according to both Goodyear and Michelin unless or until cracking of the sidewalls exceeds a certain criteria. Owners can extend the life of their tires by storing them as the warehouses do by removing weight from them when the bus is parked.

So your partial truth suggests the clock is not ticking, but in fact it starts the moment the date code is applied.

dale farley
04-22-2013, 12:21 PM
I agree. More excellent points. In no way am I implying that my one statement was the whole story about tire life. I stated in a post yesterday, one of the disadvantages of carrying a spare was that the clock keeps on ticking regardless as to whether you use the tire or not.

Charles Spera
04-22-2013, 09:10 PM
TCI Ft Meyers LOVES coaches and has been known to buy your take off tires still in good condition.

garyde
04-22-2013, 09:45 PM
I purchased them. I figure I will replace in 5 years if I still own the Coach.

Denny
04-22-2013, 10:07 PM
When I switched the 315's to 365's in the front, I bought a slightly used 365 that I put in the bay. It does take up room but I was able to get rid of some of the unnecessary stuff. I feel it is more important to have a hard to find tire than other items that are readily available.

Gil_J
04-23-2013, 08:36 AM
For anyone about to replace all of your tires, you might want to consider super singles rather than duals on tge drive axle. Everything I've read says they are the way to go. They are cheaper, more fuel efficient, and look great. Yes, you will have to buy new wheels the first time but even that cost should make the switch price competitive. There's surely a market for tge take off wheels to offset the new wheel expense.

Something to think about,

pwf252
04-23-2013, 06:52 PM
Super singles, interesting thought. Has anyone researched whether its possible to make the switch? I'm ready for new drive and tags and would consider it if its doable and not cost prohibited. Is it something Prevost might or has considered on their new buses?

jack14r
04-23-2013, 07:02 PM
Actually Prevost offers them as an option on ordered shells.

Bob M
04-24-2013, 09:07 PM
Do you have the dealer name in Orlando that would honor the FMCA tire plan. I am new to this site and have just bought a 2005 Vantare

Bob M
04-24-2013, 09:20 PM
Do you know the dealer located in Orlando, Florida that would honor the Michelin Advantage tire purchase program? Thank you, Bob - first time user at this post.

truxton
04-24-2013, 09:40 PM
Hi Bob,
I'm sure someone will answer you by morning, if not look around or call FMCA.

Click here (http://forum.prevostownersgroup.com/images/stories/pdf/michelin-prices.pdf) to see a flier that shows sample prices for common Michelin RV tires, under the Advantage program. For estimated pricing on additional tires not on the sample list, please contact the FMCA Membership department at (%20%3Cscript%20language='JavaScript'%20type='text/javascript'%3E%20%3C!--%20var%20prefix%20=%20'mailto:';%20var%20suffix%20 =%20'';%20var%20attribs%20=%20'';%20var%20path%20= %20'hr'%20+%20'ef'%20+%20'=';%20var%20addy67728%20 =%20'membership'%20+%20'@';%20addy67728%20=%20addy 67728%20+%20'fmca'%20+%20'.'%20+%20'com';%20docume nt.write(%20'%3Ca%20'%20+%20path%20+%20'\''%20+%20 prefix%20+%20addy67728%20+%20suffix%20+%20'\''%20+ %20attribs%20+%20'%3E'%20);%20document.write(%20ad dy67728%20);%20document.write(%20'%3C\/a%3E'%20);%20//--%3E%20%3C/script%3E%3Cscript%20language='JavaScript'%20type= 'text/javascript'%3E%20%3C!--%20document.write(%20'%3Cspan%20style=\'display:%2 0none;\'%3E'%20);%20//--%3E%20%3C/script%3EThis%20e-mail%20address%20is%20being%20protected%20from%20s pambots.%20You%20need%20JavaScript%20enabled%20to% 20view%20it%20%3Cscript%20language='JavaScript'%20 type='text/javascript'%3E%20%3C!--%20document.write(%20'%3C/'%20);%20document.write(%20'span%3E'%20);%20//--%3E%20%3C/script%3E)membership@fmca.comThis e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it or (800) 543-3622

Later
bv

truxton
04-24-2013, 10:01 PM
These guys do Bob.

TCI #452 - ORLANDO (javascript:void(0);) 9831 S Orange Ave
Orlando, FL 32824
(407) 855-9111

Later
bv

Gil_J
04-24-2013, 10:33 PM
Use TCI, they don't mind RVs.

tommybahama
04-25-2013, 08:38 AM
For anyone about to replace all of your tires, you might want to consider super singles rather than duals on tge drive axle. Everything I've read says they are the way to go. They are cheaper, more fuel efficient, and look great. Yes, you will have to buy new wheels the first time but even that cost should make the switch price competitive. There's surely a market for tge take off wheels to offset the new wheel expense.

Something to think about,

Super singles, or "highway singles," are prohibited in Nevada and I'm thinking Vermont.

dale farley
04-25-2013, 09:10 AM
Do the states give a reason for banning the singles?

Gil_J
04-25-2013, 10:14 PM
David,

Can you point us to a reference? I didn't find anything in a quick search. Some national carriers have already made switch. I bet they will be disappointed to find their DOT approved tires can't be used in a state they travel through. FWIW,a NM motor carrier law enforcement supervisor told me highway singles are being more widely with the passing of time.

Jlowther
05-05-2013, 01:18 PM
I could not believe it. I heard about the FMCA discount. My prices quoted were all about $10k. With the FMCA, it was $6k - HUGE DISCOUNT!!!

jack14r
05-05-2013, 07:03 PM
This is the best deal going and some people complain about the cost to join FMCA.

jbchevy3
05-05-2013, 10:18 PM
Ditto that, just used The FMCA program, worked great, saved hundreds per tire! Local dealer handled with no problem. The dealer said he didn't make much, but liked the order showing up on his total sales with Michelin.