PDA

View Full Version : BUS RAMPS

dale farley
01-31-2013, 10:13 PM
For anyone who may be interested in constructing their own ramps, the parts and procedures are listed below. I have found these ramps to be very useful in working under the bus. They work under the front or the rear.Only 2 ramps are needed under the front. If interested, I have listed the procedure for making a set.

Because my tail pipe was in the way, and I couldn't get the ramps in the right place I used the 2' X 4's to run upon the edge of the ramps. The 2 X 4s will not be needed for all applications.

The Ramps

Four ramps with the overall dimension of 8 feet long x 1 foot wide x 10 inches high. Bottom layer is 8 foot long, top layer is 5 foot long, with each layer cut 3 inches shorter than the last with 45 degree bevels. This resulted in 13 layers of 3/4" shop grade plywood.
Materials

Eleven sheets of 3/4" shop grade plywood
Several pounds of 2 inch galvanized sheet rock screws
Couple of pounds of 16 penny nails
About nine large tubes of liquid nails sub-floor glue

Construction
The bottom sheets of plywood are the only pieces that are 8 foot long. I cut a 45 on the ends and started each layer back 3 inches from the last layer, number 13 ended up with the 5 foot I was looking for to be able to park both the tag and drive axle on a level surface when on the ramps.

First, rip eleven sheets of plywood length wise, 12" wide. Set aside four sheets of 8' x 12" for the bottom layers and cut four 60" long for the top layers. Piece the layers (except the bottom four and top four) to obtain the required lengths. I wanted a continuous layer for the top and bottoms. Since all the wood will be glued, screwed and nails, they will have ample strength.The ramps have thirteen layers with the following lengths:

4ea x 96" x 12"= 32sq/ft
4ea x 93" x 12"= 31sq/ft
4ea x 90" x 12"= 30sq/ft
4ea x 87" x 12"= 29sq/ft
4ea x 84" x 12"= 28sq/ft
4ea x 81" x 12"= 27sq/ft
4ea x 78" x 12"= 26sq/ft
4ea x 75" x 12"= 25sq/ft
4ea x 72" x 12"= 24sq/ft
4ea x 69" x 12"= 23sq/ft
4ea x 66" x 12"= 22sq/ft
4ea x 63" x 12"= 21sq/ft
4ea x 60" x 12"= 20sq/ft

Total 3/4" plywood required = 338 sq/feet..... or 11 sheets of plywood

I added some handles to the sides so I could pull the ramp from under the bus if I needed to. I made the ramps 12" wide instead of 24" wide because of the weight. It would be very difficult to move one ramp that is 24" wide.

Gary Carmichael
02-01-2013, 06:18 AM
Dale, That is some fine looking stainless, do not see a scratch any where, how do you keep it so clean and crisp?

dale farley
02-01-2013, 09:02 AM
Gary, At this point, it is so easy. I let Gil polish it, and he does a great job.

JIM KELLER
02-01-2013, 10:46 AM
Dale, Can I see the "updated version" that has little wheels that automatically extend for easy movement ?

sswindle14260
02-01-2013, 12:18 PM
Good looking ramps. How much do you estimate each one weighs? Why do you have the old 2x's on it too? Is the slope too steep without them? Just curious.

sswindle14260
02-01-2013, 12:21 PM
Ok, I went back and read the post again and saw about the 2x's but still curious about weight.

dale farley
02-01-2013, 02:38 PM
Jim, If Paulette moves them around for me, surely Karen can do the same for you.

Sammy, I'm not sure how much each one weighs. Each one weighs a little less than 3 sheets of 3/4" plywood (which is not light). Sometimes, I move them outside of the bus barn, and I always use a dolly to move them. I slide them under the bus and pull them out with the chain handle I have on each one. They are a little heavy and very stable.

One of my exhaust pipes was catching on the ramp for some reason, so I laid the 2X4s on the ground in front of the ramp so it would raise the bus just enough to clear the exhaust. There is definitely no problem with the bus going up the incline of the ramps either with the front or back wheels. Actually, I think all I would need to do is raise the height of the bus a little (using the air bags) before going up the ramps.