PDA

View Full Version : Wiring my bus to pull my horse trailer!

Peter
01-13-2013, 09:35 PM
Hello everyone I am a brand new owner of 3 weeks to my 1997 prevost royals.... My question is it has a 6 prong plug on the bus, but my feather lite trailer is a 7 prong rv plug...can anyone tell me how one wires this properly? With a trailer brake...:confused: there is no power wire to charge the break away battery on trailer and no brake controller in bus for electric brakes..

AmeriStar
01-13-2013, 11:58 PM
The 7-pin connector is very common for "RV" use like pulling travel trailers or car trailers. Notice that the connector uses blade-style connectors rather than round pins.

If your bus has the 6 pin replace it with the 7. To power the 12v accessory wire, you need to add the 40A fuse in the electrical center.
The 12v pin needs to be powered up if you tow a trailer with electric brakes and the trailer has a "breakaway box". This is an emergency braking system for the trailer if it becomes disconnected from the truck. The trailer will have a small 12v battery that energizes the brakes so it will stop by itself. The 12v pin keeps the battery charged. And the pin will also supply accessory power to a trailer for interior lights. The 12v is always on.

You will need to install a brake controller in the driver compartment and run the wires thru the buses wire chase to the rear for your trailer.

Gil_J
01-14-2013, 06:09 AM
Here is a very informative site and good source: www.etrailer.com