PDA

View Full Version : Wrist pin problems...

merle&louise
12-17-2006, 11:34 AM
Does anyone know the range of serial numbers on the series 60 DD engines that had wrist pin problems?

Also, what model year engines were affected?

Jon Wehrenberg
12-17-2006, 12:43 PM
If DD puts service bulletins on line a search might find out. I think your coach was too new to be affected. Maybe Prevost can answer that question.

merle&louise
12-17-2006, 01:15 PM
Thanks Jon, I was pretty sure that my '99 series 60 would not be affected.

I have a friend who just purchased a '95, and I was concerned if his series 60 was within the range of the affected engines.

I googled Detroit Diesel service bulletins, but they only listed as far back as March 1998!:confused:

Do you think that Newell would have any info?

Jon Wehrenberg
12-17-2006, 01:31 PM
They might. The problem was not so widespread that with Newell's limited production they may not have had any affected coaches.

win42
12-17-2006, 03:56 PM
Does this mean you 60 guys are going to lighten up on critisizing the 8V92.
You mean there could actually be a flaw in the 60 series. (he he)

Jon Wehrenberg
12-17-2006, 05:10 PM
Harry,

Before you beat up on us too much consider that with our fuel savings we can afford those repairs. Any questions?:D

MangoMike
12-17-2006, 05:59 PM
Yea but,

The 8v92's still sound cooler.

mm

win42
12-17-2006, 06:12 PM
John: How many miles are you going to be traveling at 2 MPG savings to buy and install a new engine?
I'm not trying to beat you up, just let a little air out of you 60 guys so you won't look too far down your noses at us poor folk with 8V92's. Remember you had 8V roots. Relax I'm just yanking your chain. This is the fun station.

bill&jody
12-17-2006, 10:05 PM
for the extra 100-large the s60 would have cost, i think i can buy a helluva lot of diesel oil. even at todays price.
wmm

Jeff Bayley
12-18-2006, 01:02 AM
I'm on the search for documentation right now and trying to get service bulletins on the wrist pin defects so that I can make my case to Detroit to give me a replacment engine at a discount. I'm the one with the recent blown engine on the 94 Prevost. I'm poking around with a the few Detroit Diesel places I've had work at (ie, S.Stevenson, etc) but so far haven't come up with the documentaion I'm hunting for in order to make my case to Detroit. I've been admonished that they will make the engine right or at least give me a major price relief if I present my argument in the right fashion. Personally, I think the time is a major facotor working against me (13 year old problem) but others say that the low mileage is what is relevenat and what should bother their "concience" enough to step up to the plate. Remains to be seen but I'm going to play it out and try the squeaky wheel approach.

If anyone can recommend someone they know that can help me get the documentation to present to Detroit then this is what I need. As mentioned above, Detroits web site has service bulletins but they stop around 1998. Of course Detroit has the knowledge of the defects but I need to bring it them in MY hand so that they know that I know and that it wasn't a rummor I heard.

I emailed Detroit direct to ask for the service bulletins over the weekend and I have to wait and see if someone responds to that request.

Ideas/methods welcomed and appreciated.

Just Plain Jeff
12-18-2006, 08:57 AM
I spend a fair amount of net time probing around for more data on the Series 60 with no positive results. There are two people at Prevost that may be able to help you. One is Bill Jensen and the other is Randy Costello. Last I knew Randy was in Nashville and Bill has been floating around, but you could track him down from the main PCC 800 phone number in Quebec.

I was going to write something here in French, but I get criticized for doing that.

Jeff Bayley
12-18-2006, 02:53 PM
I just got off the phone with D.D customer support for series 60's. The guy did several searches for service bulletins on the problem with no results. He said there were several different forms that these bullentins may have been in including parts memo's etc and he couldn't find anything. He logged onto the dealer portion of the DD site and searched that. I guess I'm at an impass for collecting any documentation thereore. Any other possible sollutions that I'm overlooking ?

garyde
12-18-2006, 08:11 PM
Jeff. This might be a stretch, but was there a class action suit filed against Detroit, or an official recall or letter Detroit sent out at some point identifying the engine with serial #, etc. or years. Gary

Jon Wehrenberg
12-19-2006, 07:38 AM
I suspect that part of the run around is because of how this was handled at the time. I am going by my not so great memory here, but as I remember the problem was a piston supplier defect, and rather than do a recall or some form of one time inspection of all engines, DD just paid for the repair or replacement of any engine that failed as a result of the piston issue.

I saw one that was ready for return to DD, and the block was so badly damaged the truck it came out of got a new engine. Both the parts man and the mechanic were very open in discussing that DD was picking up the cost, and about the cause of the engine failure. I'm sure there is some paper work out there that covers this because the typical DD shoip is not going to replace engines for free if it was a manufacturing defect. Some documentation is available, but it will take some digging because this is a seven to ten year old issue.