PDA

View Full Version : Stacker Trailers

MWSHAWJR
12-28-2012, 12:32 PM
Please some thoughts on towing a 30 ft stacker trailer would be appreciated. I kinda got one in the deal.. Particularly as it applies to Fueling, Rv Parks, Overnite parking, general driving and handling.

merle&louise
12-28-2012, 01:44 PM
My thoughts on towing a stacker trailer:

Advantages: You can carry more "stuff", your tow vehicle is protected from rocks and debris, and you can back up when necessary.

Disadvantages: Difficult to find a place to park it when you're in an RV park; unless the park has 100' pullthrus.

I don't see any problems when fueling as long as you fuel at truck stops.

Overnite parking in rest areas - I think you would be too long to occupy the truck lanes. Most 18 wheelers pull a trailer 53' long and the tractor is aboout another 15' for a total of 68' and you would be around 78'+. I'm not saying it couldn't be done, but it might be a little tight!

I think if your stacker is setup correctly by someone who knows what they are doing - driving and handling shouldn't be a problem. Check with Prevost regarding tongue weights etc.

IMO, I would be happy with just towing my toad 4 wheels down. Of course, I don't want or need all of the bicycles, motorcycles, 4 wheelers, etc. All I need is the tow car!

Good luck and enjoy your bus.

Don
12-28-2012, 01:52 PM
I have A 45' coach pulling A 25' stacker
Fueling I go to truck stops T/A, Pilot, Flying J, Loves and some times an independant (and will only fuel up at the truck islands) You can find yourself in a tight spot going to the car island. (I have been there and done that and its not fun). I fuel up ususlly after 5:00 pm looking for a overnight spot to park. A good book to purchase is called the next exit available at truck stops.

Overnight parking I stay at truck stops and rest stops and try but seldom get in by 5:00 pm to get a prime easy to park in spot. at 10:00 pm things can get very tight.
No wal marts or cracker barrels Etc If some one parks around you to close you could find yourself staying longer than you want along with that I have seen very tight areas in these places.

It takes more room to maneuver the bus and trailer than it takes to maneuver an 18 wheeler. If you can back into A spot next to 2 trucks the first time with out having a long spot to line yourself up you are good.

RV Parks go to big-rigs-rv.com Buy the book its worth the investment It will tell you the what you can expect to find then call ahead and tell them that you need A 90 foot minimum spot.

As far as campgrounds not listed in the Big Rig book, we've found many we were happy with, but be sure to ask questions - road Width, trees, Etc. We usually go to Bing maps to look over the approaching roads, as well as the campground roads, to be sure there is good access. We always ask for pull throughs.

I also have a Garmen Trucker GPS which I think in a good investment. It alerts you to low underpasses on the highways and other places a truck shouldn't attempt. If it tells me that trucks aren't recommended - I don't go there.

Also, be sure you have the correct motorvehicle licence. After purchasing my rig, I found out
I had to upgrade to a class B (non commercial). Another useful tool is www.towingworld.com/articles/towinglaws.htm (http://www.towingworld.com/articles/towinglaws.htm). it will tell you the law of the states I have so far never had a problem of being over lenght and have only avoided California but will probably test the water sooner or later.

I agree with Merle & Louise you need 100'. My rig had a 10,000 pound engine Cradle / hitch that was an accident weighting to happen it has been upgraded to A 20,000 pound installed by Prevost in Jacksonville, florida. Weather pulling empty or with a mini cooper and 4 motorcycles no ill effecte except I loose one mpg on fuel. I cannot tell if the trailer is back there except for the mirrors or back up camera.