PDA

View Full Version : MikeS

MWSHAWJR
12-25-2012, 03:01 PM
My recent '04 coach purchase included a 30 ft half stacker trailer...Would someone with experience please advise me on the pros and cons of part time towing this size of a trailer as it applies to driving, parking overnight, and value or lack of value of having this much trailer capacity. Pros and cons would be greatly appreciated.

garyde
12-25-2012, 03:57 PM
In California, the trailer is too long. You can't bring it in to the State. There may be other States with restrictions. Depending on weight, you may be over weight for your tow ball . If you tow a lot, its a good idea to change transmission oil and do maintenance on shorter intervals.
You will probably see a 1 mile per gallon reduction when towing a loaded trailer.
RV Parks have to be verified beforehand on drive thru spaces and turn radius. Additionally, storage of trailer for some parks as they don't allow trailers at RV site.
On the positive side, you can bring a vehicle which stays clean and secure inside. Additionally, motorcycles, and other fun toys.
Some people have hobbies, and the trailer works well as a hobby shop for those full timers.
It makes for an alternative sleeping area when the wife boots you out.

jack14r
12-25-2012, 08:45 PM
I towed a 30 footer for awhile and found it to be a PITA,bulky unnecessary,extra fuel burn,etc.but I never got stopped on the east coast.

lbriant
12-25-2012, 10:52 PM
I almost went that rout with a full size stacker but after I put the jeep in the bottom I hade to take the windshield off my bike to get it on top with 2'' to spare,
Also 65 ft is usually the Max legal limit in most states so even though you wouldn't get stopped if you were in an accident you could have a lawyer scraping you over the coals,
i cant talk cause I decided away from the stacker for several reasons I like the flexibility to pull the pins on my sterling hitch and have the wife drive the jeep, Cause sometime somewhere everyone makes a wrong turn or bad decision and without the jeep back there Its a easy fix, But I have a Motorcycle rack and the jeep and a bicycle rack on back of the jeep I am Like 73 ft long so I cant give advice, I do know I am on the border of California in lake havasu city I can see the other side of the lake its California,
several people from here have busses with trailers and go over into california A I was always told not to go over there?
I think certain places you could you can get away with it , I don't need anything over there if so i just ride my harley over Parker Dam .)
It does really limit your spots allot of even big 5 star resorts won't let you keep your trailer in the park,