PDA

View Full Version : Aux Air pumas

lbriant
12-14-2012, 05:09 PM
I have went through a couple of Aux pumps, Or wobble pumps as I would call them,
One for my Awning and now my second on my Aux air for raising the bed floor slide and to keep the bus level,
I always keep my eye out and have a little soapy water to check my fittings but when we get a few cold nights the air leaks seem to show up, Anyway The last pump that I just pulled out today was a Viar350C air compressor 12 volt,
It lasted 3 yrs I know I can buy a rebuild kit but I would rather buy a better pump ?
Where I don't have to do this,
This pump mounts under the drivers window in the bottom compartment,
So what are your views ?????? :confused:

Repoer
12-14-2012, 08:54 PM
Ever tried a JUN-AIR

Charles Spera
12-15-2012, 07:39 AM
Larry,
We use the Gast compressor.
Take a look at this: http://www.gastmfg.com/product_list.aspx?ProductFamilyID=7&ProductTypeID=23

BenC
12-17-2012, 10:25 AM
We used to install the Junn-air silent compressor, because of the flow rate vs. max supply pressure (especially important when leveling a slideout-equipped coach). However, a compressor that looks identical and is a lot less money is one made by a company called Silent Aire Techology, based in Houston, TX. It is marketed to the dental industry and can either be bought through us or dental supply chains. I am not sure if they sell directly to end user customers or not. These compressors, like the Junn-aire ones, require both an "oil mist separator" and a moisture separator to be installed in the compressor output line before going to the aux air reservoir tank. These can be purchased as an accessory from Silent-aire or from SMC corporation as well (SMC is what we usually order).
Junn-aire also offers an "oil-less" compressor, but it does have a much higher dB (noise) rating than the ones that use an oil bath to cool and quiet the compressor motor. The choice is of course up to the coach owner as to his/her comfort level for noise and price.
Hope this helps.

Repoer
12-18-2012, 08:39 PM
Ben i put the oil bath junair in mine but i removed the oil bottles do i need to replace them ??

BenC
12-19-2012, 08:21 AM
If by "oil bottles" you mean the oil mist separator, DEFINITELY yes. Without the oil mist separator, the acidic synthetic oil will get into the rest of the aux air system and over time eat the seals out of the Norgren valves, causing you expensive problems in the future.
If you need a model number, let me know or contact Dan Hartley if you need help in obtaining one.
The other is a moisture separator to keep water out of the system. I strongly recommend one of those as well. This keeps your pneumatic system from becoming a hydraulic system (i.e. due to water infiltration). Here in Florida, during high usage times, a half-gallon of water a day can be introduced into air systems without the existance of a moisture separator that has an auto-drain feature (also strongly recommended).
If you have any other questions I can help with, please don't hesitate to let me know.

lbriant
12-20-2012, 02:22 PM
Anyone ever use the viair for there auxiliary pump? They also make a industrial model 100 % duty cycle at 100 psi ?

cthalfman
12-22-2012, 11:54 AM
I just finished the install on a new Aux compressor. I went with a Rolair JC-10 1 HP 2.5 gallon. It has an adjustable pressure switch. Very quiet at 60db. Pretty inexpensive around $200.

lbriant
12-22-2012, 12:54 PM
Wow thats a air pump !!! Where did you mount that and is it where your previous one was?

cthalfman
12-22-2012, 03:20 PM
I mounted it in the same spot the original pump was, behind the front bumper in the back right corner of what I believe is often used as a spare tire cavity.

lbriant
12-22-2012, 09:36 PM
Oh ok mine has a Pneumatic front bumper and a slide out in there for storage behind that on the passenger side I have a small dry or wobble pump just dedicated to the big electric / air Awning.
Does that pump run off 120v ?

lbriant
12-22-2012, 09:53 PM
Ok I went with the Viair 450C IG 12v with an intercooler head 100% duty cycle at 100psi max 150, its about 3 '' longer,
I have ran these in the past but smaller ones (the 350C) they get very hot so this time I built a new base (this mounts in my bottom door under the drivers side window) turned the pump around the opposite direction to give me more room and mounted a Marine cyclone fan right at the end of the cylinder head I wired it to kick on with the compressor its real high velosity air flow, Just like it was made for the pump, I heat tested it with my heat gun at the end of a cycle it was only hitting 105 Deg, Wow, I think that will be a big plus, Heat is the pumps worst nightmare, other than water in the intake filter,
And normally those Dry Pumps would fry your hand if you touched them,
Those fans have a high output but don't hardly have any electrical pull and they are small,
Just an Idea I thought i would pass along,

cthalfman
12-22-2012, 11:11 PM
Oh ok mine has a Pneumatic front bumper and a slide out in there for storage behind that on the passenger side I have a small dry or wobble pump just dedicated to the big electric / air Awning.
Does that pump run off 120v ?

Yes, this is a 120v pump.