PDA

View Full Version : Remodel

cthalfman
12-12-2012, 09:47 AM
I have just finished our bedroom remodel. I replaced the carpet with Cali Bamboo hardwood in wide plank Java color. The original window trim and valances were removed and replaced with expanded PVC panels covered in faux leather. The queen bed was removed along with the small nightstands to make room for a california king sized memory foam mattress. The control boards were on pods above the nightstands and were relocated into the rear headboard. Valances in the salon have been done with the same material as well as the same bamboo flooring to replace the carpet. Waiting on the two Vila jack knife sofas to be returned from the upholster to complete the salon.

dale farley
12-12-2012, 10:10 AM
Great looking job.

Gil_J
12-12-2012, 11:45 AM
I saw this as a work in progress. Chris is doing a great job! Maybe, in his free time he can do others ;-)

jack14r
12-12-2012, 02:51 PM
That looks great!!!!!

cthalfman
12-12-2012, 02:59 PM
I saw this as a work in progress. Chris is doing a great job! Maybe, in his free time he can do others ;-)

Let me know when your ready Gil. I'd be happy to start on another one.

Sid Tuls
12-12-2012, 07:09 PM
I just wish I could be so handy. Great job you should be proud of your craftsman work!

otto
12-12-2012, 11:04 PM
Do you have any suggestions on how to do it and what you have learned in the process of the renovation. I have a woodworking shop but have not yet taken on the job of renovating our RV. How long did the work take you, how do you strip down an RV for the remodel, what would you different, did you start with a large experience base of RV renovation, any special equipment that you needed, any special materials to use or avoid, etc.?

Thanks, Otto

cthalfman
12-13-2012, 01:19 AM
Hi Otto,

I have very limited experience with RV renovation. This is the third RV I have owned, but I have always been a believer that I can do anything a professional can do with a little research and by taking my time. Pro's will be more efficient with their time than I, but I also believe that I can have better overall quality by taking it slow. As far as the strip down goes, it is probably the most important. You will want to pay special attention to how your coach was originally constructed by your convertor. Pay special attention to how they mounted the interior panels and how they covered any of the panels you are looking to recover or resurface. Many of the window trim panels in my Country Coach were permanently fixed to the vertical wall supports with a heavy silicone type material. Removing these panels if you are looking to salvage them and simply recover them will take some care. Probably a razor sharp scraper starting on a pried up corner and cutting the panel away from the adhesive. I chose to simply rip them off which destroyed the vertical panels. I then removed the silicone residue with a razor scraper. I fabricated new panels out of expanded PVC panel. I stretch covered them with new faux leather and back stapled them with 1/4" staples. I attached the new panels with high temp hot glue. You will need an industrial type hot glue gun that can produce the volume of glue needed to get a large amount of glue onto the panels. I then clamped the panels for about 15 minutes until the hot glue cooled and set. I tested the hot glue as an adhesive by clamping a test piece of the pvc panel to the vertical wall supports alongside the windows that were covered in the convertor finished faux suede. After proving they adhered well I proceeded with this method. Your panels may be affixed differently. My valances above the windows were affixed with screws and matching fabric screw caps. I chose to change the profile of my valances and preferred the cleaner look of no screws/caps. I fabricated new panels out of PVC here as well and glued and clamped them in place as well. I chose expanded PVC because it is light, flexible, holds staples well and will not rot or warp if we ever develop a leak near the windows. Most including the convertors would simply use plywood panels. We chose to keep the existing base faux suede walls and ceilings. replacing/renovating this material would be a totally different and much bigger undertaking. I hope this helps. Feel free to PM or email me anytime. We will be attending the mini Rally at Two Rivers Resort in Sevierville, TN in April if anybody wants to check it out.

otto
12-13-2012, 10:44 AM
Thanks Chris,

Sometime in the next year I plan on 'attacking' the inside of our RV. Everything done to it in the past was well done but it does not suit our needs exactly. The work you have done looks great. I don't know if we can get away for the mini Rally in April. With three trips already planned in the next few months we have to stay home sometime!!!! As a new converts to the RV travel life it can get in your blood fast.

Otto

JIM KELLER
12-13-2012, 11:06 AM
Wow, Great looking job !

coreygrubb
12-13-2012, 11:19 AM
Chris & Tracy, Did you buy the 2000 CC XL dbl slide coach that was at Coachworx ?

Gary Carmichael
12-13-2012, 11:55 AM
Do not mean to crash this thread, but need to know if any body knows the number to PASS, A lady in Kentucky is trying to start her 94 liberty and needs to know where the block heater is, she called me I am not familiar with that vintage 8V-92 Thanks Gary

cthalfman
12-13-2012, 03:19 PM
Chris & Tracy, Did you buy the 2000 CC XL dbl slide coach that was at Coachworx ?

Corey, yes we did. Are you familiar with it?

coreygrubb
12-13-2012, 06:21 PM
Corey, yes we did. Are you familiar with it?
Chris & Tracy, Yes, We are. We get all our work done at Coachworx and we looked long and hard at that particular coach. We have also done quite a bit of re-modeling on our coach. Being as we are pretty close neighbors, we can compare notes any time. My number (George) is 941-779-5018.