PDA

View Full Version : Help in picking up a dry mount unit?

Ray Davis
12-15-2006, 01:45 PM
I know this is a very long shot, but I'm thinking about purchasing a dry mount unit for my photo work. I found a great deal, but the unit is in Cincinatti OH, and I'm in CA.

I'm wondering if anyone lives in that general area, and will be heading west anytime in the future? I'm hoping to shorten the 4000 miles it would take me to drive out there and back. The unit is not packed, and weighs in at 200+ lbs, so it's not easilyl shipped.

If anyone is coming through OH, and would like to meet me part way, or possibily meet me at POG3, that would be great.

Or, if you have any other suggestions how to get a 200lb unit from OH to CA I'm all ears.

Thanks,

Orren Zook
12-15-2006, 05:41 PM
Ray,

What's your time frame from on picking it up? I'm across the state but have some business in Columbus that would bring me within an hour or so of Cinci. I could bring it to POG III for you or see if I could get one of my produce hauler customers to bring it out earlier.... I know they deliver into the Laughlin NV area weekly then deadhead into CA. Dry mount press?!? Who uses those anymore? BTW - I have a couple of Bessler enlargers for sale

Ray Davis
12-15-2006, 06:25 PM
Hey Oren,

I don't have to grab it anytime soon, although the more I think about it the more I want to grab it. But, your offer sounds interesting. I could easily meet someone in Laughlin, which is only about 4 hours from me.

Only thing it's not crated or packaged at this point, which is the difficulty. Would that be an issue for your produce haulers? I'm trying to get a quote on getting it packaged or crated.

ray

dalej
12-15-2006, 09:05 PM
Ray you might this site, http://bayload.com/ might be worth a shot!

matsprt
12-15-2006, 11:38 PM
Orren,

Are you any relation to Alvin & Millie Zook out in PA ?? If I remember right they run a trucking operation of some type, all refrigerated ??

Michael

Ray,

What's your time frame from on picking it up? I'm across the state but have some business in Columbus that would bring me within an hour or so of Cinci. I could bring it to POG III for you or see if I could get one of my produce hauler customers to bring it out earlier.... I know they deliver into the Laughlin NV area weekly then deadhead into CA. Dry mount press?!? Who uses those anymore? BTW - I have a couple of Bessler enlargers for sale

Jeff Bayley
12-16-2006, 03:33 AM
Ray- I don't know what your budget it for shipping but I use United Van Lines frequently for moving goods around and they don't require it to be crated. It's about $400-$500 coast to coast for something like that because they have a 500lb minimum weight limit charge.

2nd idea. UPS Stores (formerly Mail Boxes Etc) will go out and pick things up that need to be shipped for about $20 extra or so however I think UPS has a 150 lb weight limit.

3rd, if you used a freight forwarder, it would probabley cost around $200 bucks or so but they require it to be crated. By the time you pay a local crate company to pick it up and build the crate your about a break even with United however it is winds up being safer than blanket wrapped with United. United rarely damages any of my goods and they are used to handeling uncrated household goods. If you can get the person to drop it off at a local crate place and the thing is not big dimmensions thne you might get it crated and freighted for as little as $250 but I think that would be around the chepest / best case / optimistic price you could expect.

Lastly, if it is the same dimmensions as a current model still in production, you could try contacting the shipping deparment of the manufacture and see if they can sell you a factory box with form foam, etc for it which would give you the smallest dimmensions and weight (as compared to buldng a crate) and subsequently cheaper shipping. I just contacted a manufacture for device I neeed shipped and to my surprise the not only supplied the boxes for free but they paid for 2nd day air on their own account as well. There is no consistancy for what a manufacture might charge for a factory box. If you get one from them however it should be cheap to get it to the seller since it is empty and light.

truk4u
12-16-2006, 09:27 AM
Ray,
If it's properly packaged for transit, I can LTL (less than truckload) it for you and 200 lbs would not be expensive. All I would need to quote it for you is dimensions, weight, origin and destination. We do hundreds of these each year. Caution... If it's high value electrical type equipment, you would not want to go this route. In case of damage, it would have a released value based on freight class that could pay pennies on the dollar.

Let me know if I can help...