PDA

View Full Version : Water softener / Deionizer ???

lbriant
11-20-2012, 11:12 AM
What are the differences, i would like good water to my bus but would also like to be able to wash it without spots ? can you drink Deionizer water or what can you get?
Do I need two seprate units ? allot of people just have water softeners they use table salt ???
What is the best choice ?????:confused:
What do you Use ??????

jack14r
11-20-2012, 11:54 AM
This is not an easy answer,I am a mirror manufacturer and I mix chemicals to spray with RO water,a reverse osmosis will generally remove at least 98% of all organics but you must remove the chlorine before the RO or the membrane will fail in short order.The DI systems have the same issue with chlorine,the RO also needs a water softener before the unit.I manufacturer about 10 GPM for my mirror manufacturing process,the cost of RO is much cheaper than DI but it is also not quite as good.Because I have good city water I can get by with an RO system for my needs.It will also leave the bus spotless,as that is what I use to wash and rinse it.As for drinking most bottled water is RO with a pinch of salt added.

Steve Bennett
11-20-2012, 01:25 PM
We have a built in 2-tank DI system in our coach. We use it for washing the coach, and I also use it, or our large DI system at our store to fill our fresh water tank. I usually mix in about 10% regular tap water for our tank as pure DI water is aggressive to metals. You can drink DI water, but it lacks taste and is essentially like drinking distilled water. A more typical, set up is to have a water softener for the coach (it removes the de-solved minerals in the water & replaces them with sodium chloride) and then a RO system for drinking water. To wash the coach with RO water would require a separate fairly large water tank probably at least 10 gallons. A DI system will allow you to run the water through the exchange tanks to a pressure washer without having a separate storage tank. The amount of DI water you can produce is dependent on the size of you system, and the quality of the water that is going in. I can make about 400 gallons with my 2-tank system, and it cost about $80.00 for new resin beads.

Ronald Hiemann
11-20-2012, 01:50 PM
I wanted to be able to wash the bus and rinse it to be as spot free as possible. There are quite a cew systems on the market which claim to do this. They also seem to cost about the same. That is to say, a small to medium sized filtering system goes for about $350 - i have purchased the "Stain-Less" system. Go here for more details.
http://www.stainlesswaterfilters.com/
Cheers,
Ronald