PDA

View Full Version : Leak Concerns

MangoMike
12-14-2006, 12:48 PM
While changing the air regulator for the belt bags, (how to coming later) I found this unit (regulator ?) covered in ?.

View looking from the bottom up.

Behind this panel on the passenger side of the engine.

Unit is Behind this bulkhead

Anyone have any idea what this part is, can it be leaking? Or is it a leak from something else. Any idea what is the fluid?

Thanks

Mike

Jon Wehrenberg
12-14-2006, 03:24 PM
Ever since you first questioned this I have been trying to figure out what it is for.

I looked at my coach and unless I am looking in the wrong spot I do not have a regulator like this except at the top center above my doors.

Seeing the picture above gives some additional information, but also more questions. The wet spot appears to be oil. Is this regulator tapped into the air line ahead of the wet tank?

Also, unless I am looking at the flow wrong, on the outlet side of the regulator there appears to be a check valve. Since we have similar coaches and I don't have this perhaps it relates to our differences. You have a second alternator. I wonder if this relates to the belt tensioning on the second alternator?

I'm stating the obvious here, but tracing the supply and downstream lines is the only way you will answer your question unless someone else with a Liberty has one and knows the answer. It does not appear in the Prevost parts book where you call for it.

MangoMike
12-14-2006, 07:13 PM
Here's a close up of the above photo. I'm pretty sure it's an air regulator and will try to trace it's origin/destination. I don't think it's for the belt bags as I just changed that one last weekend. The liquid is too red to be oil. It's either transmission/steering/hydraulic fluid of some sort.

Thanks for the help.

Jon Wehrenberg
12-14-2006, 07:29 PM
I saw the red, but for transmission or power steering fluid to get on it like that it has to be spraying out from somewhere and it would be all over everything, including the frame of the coach.

I cannot imagine that device is anything but an air pressure regulator, but what looks like a check valve also looks like a type used for oil.

I guess my brain is stuck on air because I thought you said one time the regulator was leaking air.

Jerry Winchester
12-14-2006, 07:36 PM
Are you sure it is not some kind of dump valve? I can't figure what the check valve looking piece on the right is for, but did you look at the pneumatic schematic (kinda rings doesn't it?) to see if you can tell where it goes?

Unless it's a converter added part, it should be on the drawing.

Is that some kind of electric solenoid on the other side of the check valve looking piece?

JIM CHALOUPKA
12-14-2006, 08:33 PM
Mango, Without knowing what I am looking at, I notice that the canister next to the equalizer says " use dexron oil only" hence the red oil on the "regulator". You mentioned that you were working on the belt bag ( whatever that is) , I assume it has to do with drive belts, if so the black fuzzy stuff built up on the dexron oil is probably rubber dust , which is normal around the driven equipment even if the pulleys are properly aligned and tensioned. I would wash this area clean and dry. It will then be easier to see where the leak is coming from. There does not appear to be much oil around in the picture. Possibly a small amount was spilled onto the "regulator" and you do not have a leak at all. Notice how the oil is in a droplet and its viscosity is holding it there. JIM

dalej
12-14-2006, 09:12 PM
Mike are you just messing with us? Is that Jon bus?

garyde
12-14-2006, 10:20 PM
Hey Mike. I would wipe it off, start the engine...wait 5-10 minutes, ck the regulator for new oil... proceed from there. Also, you might have someone turn the steering while the engine is running to see if you have a small pin leak in your hydraulic fluid hoses in that area. Gary

Orren Zook
12-14-2006, 11:59 PM
It is an air pressure regulator (available from Sealco,Velvac or Bendix), and is adjustable via the nut and set screw shown on top of your last picture. You would/should have system pressure on one side and a preset lower air pressure on the other side.
I think Jim is on the right path with the Dextron clue from that tank near the valve. Spray the valve with some degreaser (Engine Bright), pressure wash it and check to see if the oil reappears. It's probably spillage or overflow from that reservour.

MangoMike
12-15-2006, 12:33 AM
Guys,

Thanks for the feedback. Will do some homework on the bus tomorrow and report back. Now, I've got to check on Corona Kelly, make sure she's hitting her quota.

mm

truk4u
12-15-2006, 08:57 AM
Due to it's location, any chance it could be an air regulator for pocket doors, sliding step cover, gen air bags, etc.?