PDA

View Full Version : Supplemental braking systems

DonS
11-02-2012, 09:58 AM
I have a 1997 Liberty and want to tow a 2012 Buick Enclave. I have looked at "M&G Engineering" system, an "air" system. Liberty said many of their folks are using them. Also looked at the "US Gear" system. Both permenantly installed. Any thoughts or other ideas are appreciated. Don

BenC
11-02-2012, 11:17 AM
The M & G unit requires placing part of the system in-line with the brake booster, and often times, depending on the tow car, there is insufficient space to allow it's installation.

The U.S. Gear system involves placing a pully on the brake pedal. An installation picture is attached.

The units we have installed by far the most are Air Force One, for Diesel engine units with air brakes, or Stay-n-play Duo for gas rigs with hydraulic brakes. They offer break-away feature as part of the system (not an add-on option as with M & G). See pictures below.

Hope this information helps.

jack14r
11-02-2012, 12:42 PM
If there is room for the M&G it is very good,I have it on a Chevrolet Silverado and Saturn Vue.The installation is very easy and you can also purchase a break away system from them.

Gary Carmichael
11-02-2012, 03:30 PM
I have had no problems with Air Force One system, installed on Tahoe. Gary

Gil_J
11-02-2012, 04:12 PM
I recommend SMI's Air Force 1. Like Ben stated, the M&G will not fit some, maybe many newer, cars. I installed the AF1 on a 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee and 2012 Ford Explorer. The the installations on the cars myself. I don't crawl under my coach so Coachworx installed the components on my coach.

Lawrence M.
11-02-2012, 05:56 PM
I have an Air Force One installation on my 2009 Enclave. It was installed two years ago (20,000Mi). Absolutely no problems!

Kenneth Brewer
11-02-2012, 07:31 PM
AF1 on a Jeep Cherokee, early this year. No problems to date. The AF1 can be transferred to another vehicle if necessary.

Dick in Wisconsin
11-02-2012, 07:42 PM
How important is it to have supplemental braking in the vehicle (car or trailer) being towed by a Prevost? Is there a weight threshold?

Fogsrv
11-02-2012, 10:05 PM
Not to Hijack this thread,

But we just purchased an 07 marathon and was wondering if anyone knew if they had factory installed electric brake controllers factory installed? We tow a horse trailer that requires it.... I didn't see it and forget to ask.

Thanks

Fogs

BrianE
11-02-2012, 11:18 PM
Dick, Supplemental braking and a break-away feature are required in Canada. The requirements for braking in the USA are listed here: http://home.roadrunner.com/~morodat/toad-brakes-by-state.html If you don't have braking and are involved in an accident it could be a liability issue. Most of us have gone through the same thought process you're going through and I believe most of us have ended up with supplemental braking.

As an aside. It is helpful to all of us if you would add a signature to your posts. If you include your coach and maybe your towed vehicle it will make it easier to answer your questions. Additionally it helps us to get to know you. To do so, open the "Settings" tab at the top of the page. You will see "Edit Signature" listed on the left.

Kenneth Brewer
11-02-2012, 11:24 PM
How important is it to have supplemental braking in the vehicle (car or trailer) being towed by a Prevost? Is there a weight threshold?

Very. Many states have a threshold weight and/or braking distance requirement. But even if there aren't, trust that there will come a time you need to make a hard stop in the rain (or worse, ice and/or snow) and if there is the slightest angle between towing and towed vehicle, you will experience a jackknife of some degree, and in any event, your braking distances will be longer. If you have to brake hard around a curve in poor conditions, you will likely regret it sooner or later. And compounding the danger is downhills. I don't care how many claim you don't have to worry; you do.

My two cents.

Gil_J
11-03-2012, 11:14 AM
The requirement for supplemental and/or break-away braking capabilities is one that generally has two camps. In one camp there are those that register their coaches in states that clearly state a requirement for towed cars or a requirement for trailers without a mention of towed cars. The other camp is for those that insist there's not a requirement because towed cars are not specifically referenced. I'm in the camp that would apply trailer towing requirements if towed vehicles aren't specifically stated in the law.

In our letigious society I just wouldn't have a towed vehicle not equipped with a break-away braking system.

Kenneth Brewer
11-03-2012, 12:35 PM
The requirement for supplemental and/or break-away braking capabilities is one that generally has two camps. In one camp there are those that register their coaches in states that clearly state a requirement for towed cars or a requirement for trailers without a mention of towed cars. The other camp is for those that insist there's not a requirement because towed cars are not specifically referenced. I'm in the camp that would apply trailer towing requirements if towed vehicles aren't specifically stated in the law.

In our letigious society I just wouldn't have a towed vehicle not equipped with a break-away braking system.

I agree here, of course, and should have mentioned the need for the breakaway system as well. At least two, I think, have mentioned that their tow car got away (unhitched) somehow. When we had our front tire blowout this summer our towed jeep did not break away, but if it had, without a breakaway system, things would been much worse and perhaps tragic, given the speed when the coach hung a severe left into the median. Thanks, Gil, for bringing that up.

Take care.

Gary Carmichael
11-03-2012, 02:14 PM
Ken, What was the cause of your blowout if I may ask?, I assume it was the left front? Thanks gary

Kenneth Brewer
11-03-2012, 02:47 PM
Ken, What was the cause of your blowout if I may ask?, I assume it was the left front? Thanks gary

Gary,

I had a forum item about it a few months ago. I believe it was a cumulative damage issue due to a slight front misalignment problem which was not manifested in pulling to one side. It tracked straight. But I went to the Ft. Worth facility for other relatively minor work (A/C) and they did a general inspection and found a slightly loose tie-rod and replaced it, requiring an alignment (expensive), on completion the alignment outfit tech said that I might have a slight pull while the front, and particularly the left, accommodated itself.

Still tracked straight, steered slightly better with regard to return to center. Seemed fine. Over a year later, this year, in very hot temperatures (but not the first time) I think the tire carcass overheated (runaway) and it detonated like a bomb. But since it was reduced to the appearance of a shredded Brillo pad, I will never know. Right side fine. Returned 800 miles to Texas to Ft.Worth and had 365s put on the front and the coach repaired. My wife says it's quieter and smoother, and I can say it steers better, but requires a tad more steering wheel turn for the same response. Planning in the near term to replace the tags with 365. Expensive.

Dick in Wisconsin
11-04-2012, 11:37 PM
As an aside. It is helpful to all of us if you would add a signature to your posts. If you include your coach and maybe your towed vehicle it will make it easier to answer your questions. Additionally it helps us to get to know you. To do so, open the "Settings" tab at the top of the page. You will see "Edit Signature" listed on the left.

Thanks for the tip.