PDA

View Full Version : Roof Air Heat Strip / Heat Pump

lbriant
10-28-2012, 02:16 PM
Our Bus lost the front Air cover in a severe storm ruining the unit we have 4 total all on zones on the same thermostat and we also received allot more damage to other parts of the bus,
But when they replaced the air they said they didn't make my air units anymore they were all air with heat strips and I liked the way the preformed,
So they installed a air heat pump then had to change all the cards out in the other air units and install a five button thermostat,
I didn't really think much about it? well I could get over the completely different shaped AC cover it was still black but glossy instead of Matt but after I picked it up the first night we ran the heat pump and its #1 in the front of the coach, It is so loud and kicking in and out all the time you cant even watch TV, Way Way louder than my old heat strip?
:confused:
I would have liked to have the same type of unit I wonder if they just ordered the wrong one and told me they didn't make them any more?
Any input ?????

garyde
10-28-2012, 11:41 PM
I would check with Parliment.

jack14r
10-29-2012, 06:28 AM
Also Donnie Myers is the Vantari guru,I would call him.

wayne
10-29-2012, 09:29 AM
And, if you're looking for yet another opinion, try Rick May or Ben Cummings at Coachworx.

Here is a link to their phone numbers

http://www.coachworx.net/AboutUs.html

coreygrubb
10-29-2012, 11:21 AM
And, if you're looking for yet another opinion, try Rick May or Ben Cummings at Coachworx.

Here is a link to their phone numbers

http://www.coachworx.net/AboutUs.htmlDitto, great guys, knowledgable and honest. Only ones that touch our bus unless more than 500 mi. away.

Gil_J
10-29-2012, 02:57 PM
Larry, based on you saying the control board had to replaced in all units, they are likely Dometic units. The new Dometic 15K BTU units are MUCH louder than then the old ones. It's a common complaint and one I know first hand when I changed one of my units out in my last coach. Given I have 14 year old units that will no doubt fail in time to come, I think I'll look at systems from others. My suggestion would be to exchange the new one with which ever one is seldom used. Surely you don't use all 4.

garyde
10-29-2012, 10:01 PM
Coachworks was purchased by Parliment. So, all the guys are there.

lbriant
10-30-2012, 01:43 AM
Yes Gil it is a Dometic I am not sure what the other three are, but they all have heat strips instead of a heat pump, That thing is kicking the fan off and on to defrost and allot of blower noise ? I like the heat strips better,
I do like the new five button thermostat,
I guess I have plenty of other heat anyway aqua hot, electric to kicks, heated granite floors
And lets not forget Crown Royal :)

lbriant
10-30-2012, 01:45 AM
Lots of good info thanks Guys,

BenC
10-31-2012, 03:00 PM
Larry,
The units on your Vantare should have been 13,500 btu cool-only with heat strips. What a lot of rv facilities are doing now is not stocking the cool-only because most people would seem to rather have them. Also, since the introduction of the 15,000 btu units, they tend not to stock the 13,500's for the same reason. The main difference in a 13.5 and the 15 is that the LOW fan speed is really the medium windings of the 3-speed motor they use for the fans. On the 13.5 you had, all 3 fan speeds showed up on the CCC and were in-fact utilized, allowing you to actually select low for the quietest operation. By the way, Dometic does STILL offer a cool-only, and you can still get an "add-on" heat strip kit for them. The fan and blower squirrel-cages appear to be the same, but Dometic did go to a molded plastic housing, where they previously utilized sheet metal (galvanized) with a foam insulation on the interior of it. I presume a combination of both changes are responsible for the increased db levels you are experiencing.

lbriant
10-31-2012, 10:59 PM
Wow Ben Thanks real good info,
My insurance company just paid out around $30,000 to get my Coach repaired from some storm damage it received some water damage from water on the drivers side of the living room ceiling and some of the window treatments the color of the window treatments could not be matched so they replaced them all with our choice,
I will just say the inside and Body work was done a little farther north but the awnings and air unit was done up at Conrad Clements place,
When I dropped the bus off the end of April and just received it back last friday, It was dark when I picked it up,
The next day when the light hit the inside it was a disaster there was clear adhesive or silicone that had run down the walls 2" to 3" and looks like they had glue or adhesive on there hands, the suede has allot of hand prints that look like a cheese grater was run over it and allot of dirty hand marks and grease spots where the were trying to work the ceiling back up there, I am just sick over it, We are already one month behind from getting down south I had planned on going to the rally in Vegas,
I did notice at Featherlight before leaving the ceiling was bagged down right over the slide and had it photographed there,
I called the "" company who did the inside and the body work and they said they couldn't believe it but just bring it back up there next year when I get back and they would fix it? They had it for 5 1/2 months ?
Then when I returned home the inside of the coach looked worse than it did when I dropped it off, I am not sure how to handle this ? I sent them Pictures and they said the coach never left there in that condition but they would fix it all next year for me?
Somehow I am not relived !! I am not sure what my options are I have it all filmed and narrated on HD video the day after I picked it up and already contacted my insurance company?
I just want my coach back to normal again? I maybe need to have someone else look at it to see the extent of the damage?
I am Sick Sick Sick My Wife cried over it !!
We are headed for Lake Havasu AZ for the winter right now ????
Any thoughts on that anyone ????????????????

wayne
11-01-2012, 09:38 AM
Larry & Nancy.....unfortunately we have no input to offer as to how to deal with this unfortunate, heartbreaking situation.
We just wanted to tell you that we feel for you and are so sorry you and your beautiful bus have been so mistreated.
Please know you will remain in our thoughts and please keep us all posted as to how this situation plays out.

Gary Carmichael
11-01-2012, 05:29 PM
Larry, what kind of storm were you in. Were you in the coach at the time, anyone hurt? Gary

garyde
11-01-2012, 09:36 PM
Here's the thing about poor workmanship, never take it back to them. Find someone else who comes highy recommended and have them do the repairs. Sent the bill to your insurance company and let them negotiate the issue with the offending company.
Its been said many times on this site. Never leave your coach . Keep a constant eye on the people who are doing the work. If thats not possible, make unscheduled trips to watch the progress, or find a trusted friend to check in on the work.
Sometimes the more trusting you are, the less service you will recieve.
Also, your insurance company should have watched these guys to make sure they werent robbing them blind.

lbriant
11-02-2012, 09:16 PM
Yes Gary we were in the coach we had 75 mph straight winds hitting from the drivers back side at an angle,
Never seen the Bus rock before until then we were crouched down by the bed in the back, No one hurt just some awning ,Body and water Damage,
Thanks for asking,

lbriant
11-02-2012, 09:31 PM
Gary,
Well this was my first experience with getting any major work done, I am insured through Gilbert who wrote me through National Interstate, They paid out somewhere between $30 to $40,000 But when I called them and sent them the pictures they said that it was out of there hands they just payed the bill ? I really thought they would have went to Bat for me or us ?
Anyway the Company (Which I won't Mention) that did all the work said the coach was perfect when it left there but next year when I returned home they would make it right ? But I figure if they could not get it right in 6 months why could they next year ?
it is about a 5 hr trip for me I checked on it once after about three months but they had done nothing yet,
Insurance said they would not cover another dime ? so I am not sure of my options, it would fall under Minnesota law, If I had to get pushed to that ? Which I really just want Our bus fixed,,,,,,,,
I would think that would be insurance fraud ? they even went as far as to say maybe it was Vandalism, Like someone broke in and pumped adhesive all around the ceiling they replaced and then put there hand prints all over just that side?
maybe I should have turned it back into insurance as vandalism then they would have investigated it I bet .)

Repoer
11-02-2012, 10:39 PM
Who was the one that picked the repair facility you or the insurance company i hope it was the insurance company they have places called pro shops that they usuely want you to use because they know they are good and will waranty all work for life that is the insurance company will if you use there shop .

garyde
11-02-2012, 10:46 PM
Before you get an attorney involved, I would send them a letter with dates, details, etc. , not accepting their offer but telling them you would get pricing from someone of your preference, and then send them the bill for re imbursement.
If they were responsible for your property and the last ones to have possesion, they should pay . Let their insurance take care of it.
Also, I would add that your a member of POG and positive and negative comments are a part of our memberships web site.
Its hard to believe your insurance company would shell out that much money and not confirm they did what they said they would do.
Yes, it could be considered fraud and a letter to the Insurance company by your attorney might get a more accountable response.

lbriant
11-03-2012, 02:48 PM
Repoer,
I picked the shop but I live in Iowa and had outside awning damage and a damaged air conditioner that was letting water pour in so I was trying to find somewhere to limp in without driving to the east coast or florida, I think I would trust Pantarra coach I have been there before they even install slides from scratch, there in Angola Indiana,
I took it to Featherlight in Stewartville MN and they referred me to the other place for my body and interior work,
I figured if they worked with them they must have been alright???
Shame on me !!!

lbriant
11-03-2012, 02:57 PM
I called and e mailed the company and copied the insurance company, and sent them both pics from my Nikon D-90
The shop that pulled that half of the ceiling down and left glue 2' down my walls and all over that half of the suede says that it was pristine shape when they dropped it off at featherlight,
Featherlight just worked on the outside awnings?
anyway I have an HD Video camera and I shot every little spot right away,
Its funny they won't take responsibility but they said they would re do it all next year when I get back,
Now if they didn't do it why would they offer to fix it?
Yikes I say man up and take the blame and lets get it corrected !!
I am afraid after 6 months it will be old news and I will be stuck with it,
Who does everyone else use for insurance ??
Like I said I went through Gilbert and they wrote me through national Interstate ?

lbriant
11-04-2012, 08:43 AM
Am I the only one that went with Gilbert and was written with National Interstate?
I really liked them because they covered everything without any argument but I wish the would go to bat for me now ?
I will talk with them again when I get out from behind the wheel ,,,
Maybe on a stop on Monday somewhere around Texas or New Mexico I hope,,,,,,,,

Repoer
11-04-2012, 08:38 PM
I belive the insurance co. is good you just picked a shotty shop . May be they should not of been paid till you were happy . I dont know were you were but in Fl you can pay the clerk of the court in the county of the shop plus ten dollars over the repair bill , than they will issue an order to release your vehical and than if they dont release it to you at once a judge will issue an order , most often the same day and than the shop will rerlease it or be arrested than it has 30 days to answer your complaint to the decresion of a judge or you get all your money back aside from the ten bucks. Dosent fix the mess but now you have funds to fix right. If the ins co made the check in thier name ill say they need to stand up for you its not your fault they paid for some thing you did not want there job is to pay to repair to your satifaction or as it was before . Good luck im sure the problub will be resolved ,, SHOTTY WORK AND A FIRE ABOUT 2 1/2 FOOT HIGH BOTH BURN MY ASS

JIM CHALOUPKA
11-05-2012, 11:00 AM
I don't understand how the Insurance co can say they are "DONE". In my opinion they would only be "DONE" if they had written a check for a settlement amount, payable to you. By them paying the "SHODDY SHOP " they in effect said we will get the repairs done to your satisfaction. That apparently is not the case.
GET A LAWYER, you need one.

You have not yet spoken to the correct person.

just sayin, JIM :)

Repoer
11-05-2012, 09:59 PM
Who was the check wrote to? I think that is important, if you paid them i belive you are on your owne.

Gary Carmichael
11-06-2012, 07:52 AM
I am with Gilbert and have been for many years, When I sold my house in N.C. and moved to Virginia they switched me to Nationwide. I have not had any problems. They paid a claim in 2006 for vandalism, The coach was on the dealers lot that was selling the coach. I found out that when your coach is on someones lot for sale your Ins is responsible for all claims, even if something happened during a test drive. Some Ins companies offer this Insurance but not many. When putting your coach on someones lot for sale check to see if you can get consignment Ins, if not beware!

JIM KELLER
11-06-2012, 12:56 PM
I agree with Jim Chaloupka. Also, you are in a better position if the insurance company directed you to a repair facility as opposed to a facility of your choice.

Reagan Sirmons
11-06-2012, 05:14 PM
Larry,
From my view, the check for the repairs had to be sent to the lien holder (if any lien existed) and or to a combination of the lien holder and the borrower. If the payment was sent to any other entity (the repair shop), that entity had to be named in an agreement of some record. Surely, that areement would set forth a PROCESS OF APPROVAL AND RELEASE OF PAYMENT for you to direct the insurance company to fund the agreed to expenses. The insurance company can not pay without some due process involving you either initially or after work is complete. For example, an estimate of work to be done was submitted to the insurance company. In that estimate, the repair facility has to demonstrate what they will do and the charges for the work. If it is not done according to the agreement, they in violation of the terms of the agreement. Did you assign the payment directly to the repair shop? There is a supplemental claim here... the insurance company cannot simply walk away.... Something is missing here.... With all due respect, I would get a lawyer in a "New York minute" ...and that is fast.
Sorry for the travails,
Pres

lbriant
11-10-2012, 10:37 PM
Reagan,
I have no Lien holder we own our Baby,
A lien holder might have even given me an edge here?
National Interstate paid the shop I didn't want to have all the checks written to me and then write them back out to the Shop,
I am trying to construct an appropriate E-mail to the shop now, I hate to get a lawyer involved my good friend is one of the best in Iowa he said it would fall under Minnesota law and it could cost upwards of $30,000 to drag one of these cases out?
Others have said it would be cheaper for me to just go to a better shop and have it Re-Done ?
I just feel that it is just like insurance fraud for them to do so much damage to our bus and admittedly not fix the original problem they were addressing of the ceiling bagging down over the slide from water damage,
If a Bank held my Note they would definitely want it fixed back to factory specs by the insurance company ??
I appreciate all the comments and help I am still deciding my next move?
Any Minnesota Lawyers in the POG community ???
Sorry I have been off line a few days just getting settled in lake Havasu City AZ.
And to top that off when driving trough Albuquerque NM, headed west on I-40 While dropping down that huge grade just into town a small car was back hanging out around out 2012 jeep Rubicon, it was real dark and hardly any traffic They passed on the slow side and dropped back in the fast lane weaving all over, then they dropped back out of sight,
We had to stop at the Flying J there in town and found they had shot up both sides of the Jeep a hole every 2" like a fully auto hi powered Pellet gun all through the soft top, blew all the side windows out and a few 1/8 " dents in the window posts shot through into the front 2 inside door panels ? I would have not known where it happened if I had not have stopped for fuel,
I turned in a police report he said Drunk kids do it to snow birds for fun, Thank the Lord they didn't hit the Bus or the Harley,
They just do the Toad because then you don't even know they did it, and may travel several hundred miles without even knowing?
Just a heads up to anyone driving through there even on I-40 the Police told me its best to get back in the bus and keep driving West it was not safe there ????
Ya Think ??

sswindle14260
11-12-2012, 09:54 AM
I had a similiar incident in Charlotte NC about 6-7 years ago. It was a Sunday morning about 8 oclock traveling on interstate through Charlotte. A car was on the on the acess road and it was traveling in the opposite direction. It had a high powered rifle out their car window and started shooting at us. Luckily the bus escaped with no damage but my truck and golf cart was shot up. I saw this happening and told my wife to get down, my son was in the back asleep. We pulled off at the next available place about a mile down the road and the car behind us pulled in as well as they saw it happen. We called the police but they did not even want to file a report. I spend hours on the phone trying to report this incident but they just really did not seem to care. Of course never heard another word about it.

lbriant
11-12-2012, 10:22 AM
Sammie,
Thank God you and your family were not hurt, yikes by the looks of mine it was just a hi powered auto pellet gun but they now shoot 100 ft per second,, that will go right through a piece of plywood, I am not sure why they would even make a fully auto pellet gun? they could be fatal if you were hit right especially if you were hit 100 times in a few seconds?
as for what yo went through thats scary and it was in a bad area Like my experience the police and town already know the are out of control,
The Lord was with you that day, Safe travels !!!!!!!!!

lbriant
11-14-2012, 07:44 PM
Well the final word I talked to National Interstate claims manager to no avail they said they just pay the bill then its my responsibility I told them the checks never passed through my hands (Between $30,000 and $35,000) they had an agreement with the shop that was not fulfilled but they refuse to get involved, So I called Gilbert RV Insurance thats who wrote me through National Interstate, They said they would call National Interstate and try to straighten it out for me, Well the call back from Gilbert Insurance was that they couldn't help me either ??
I am waiting for a reply from the shop on there plan to reconcile this mess ?????
I will be doing this allot different if I ever need to again, I never thought anyone could get away with such practises when dealing with an Insurance company, They don't seem to care if they even did the work at all ???? They just send them money,
I believe they had a contract with the insurance company with all the materials,Labor and parts and what would be done and it should have been completed or the contract would stay open ??

garyde
11-14-2012, 10:53 PM
What a Cluster. If you can not get satisfactory resolution from the shop , Access the cost of the needed repairs and take them to court.
If it is under $ 10,000.00 you may be able to do this in small claims court depending on the state. They have increased the maximum allowed in many states.

Gil_J
11-15-2012, 09:50 AM
Larry,

Gary may be correct. I'd get some advise from an attorney before doing anything. You may not have any recourse against the shop that did the work. It's possible that the shop was working for your insurance company based on the fact the insurance company paid for the services and I assume did so through the insurance company's acceptance of the work. If true, you'll likely have to write this off as a lost cause unless you want to burn a lot of dollars. Also, if true, the best course of action may be to have a letter sent from your attorney to the shop and hope that comes across as enough of a scare to have them make it right.

I hope you have already changed insurance carriers. Continuing to have them profit from your premiums makes no sense.

lbriant
11-15-2012, 12:14 PM
Thanks Guy,s
That gives me allot to think about, I just want my coach back to normal not one extra thing I already have 30 hrs of drive time in and loss of my bus for 6 months, plus a big headache but I don't care about anything but my Baby getting back to normal,
I am still trying to play ball with the company but they haven't returned my last e mail yet ? I really thought Gilbert would have put the pressure on Nation Interstate to stand by me that disappoints me? Does Gilbert or National Interstate even know about POG ? Maybe as a group they would try harder, to help me out? I am but a single voice ,,,