PDA

View Full Version : Dash Blower fan

LarryB
09-11-2012, 11:23 PM
On my 2000 CC the dash fan that is controlled by the rotary switch on the lower dash, runs continually, even with the switch in the full off position. Air can be felt coming out of some of the dash vent and I can NOW hear the motor running. The motor bearings must be getting worn because I couldn't hear it running until recently in the off position. Is this normal or maybe I have a bad switch.

JIM KELLER
09-12-2012, 07:03 AM
Larry, My fan does not run when the knob is turned all the way to the left, past the click.

mike kerley
09-12-2012, 10:01 AM
Larry, My 93 dash fan is controlled by a "black box" located in the dash, very close to the entrance door (its buried behind heater hoses). Its an electronic speed control and mine failed several years ago. It was available from CC at that time. Yours may be the same or entirely different...Mine will shut down completely in the off position..

Gil_J
09-12-2012, 01:44 PM
Mine turns back on when turned past the off position.

LarryB
09-12-2012, 07:10 PM
Well as I played with the switch thinking it might be defective, I noticed that a relay or maybe 2 relays activate to turn on and off the motor. I now believe I have a [sticky] defective relay.

JIM KELLER
09-12-2012, 09:59 PM
Larry, Let us know where the relay lives.

LarryB
09-12-2012, 10:47 PM
Jim, I need to have you listen as I turn on the blower, the sound seems to travel as I work the switch. Maybe we can locate it in LAS. I need to shine the bus in prep of the rally so my bus looks as good as yours and Pete's.

Pete
09-13-2012, 08:58 AM
I can only wish my bus would shine like Mr. Kellers bus! I think he polishes his daily before he has breakfast!
Larry, I do have an amplified head phone set that maybe we can locate your relay ect..We will give it a try in Las Vegas.

LarryB
09-13-2012, 10:33 AM
Thanks Pete, you got a deal.

Gil_J
09-13-2012, 11:28 AM
Larry,

I think I drove by your town a couple days ago. Too bad I didn't know you needed help.

See you in Vegas,

LarryB
09-13-2012, 07:31 PM
Gil, were you able to stop for a bit of wine tasting?

Fratto
12-13-2019, 09:50 AM
What was the resolution on the fan not turning off? As luck would have it, mine just started doing this. The fan speed will ramp and and down fine but the fan will not turn off.

drivfour
12-13-2019, 11:08 AM
on a related note, my dash fan blows out both round vents and the defroster ducts. I see no way to redirect air conditioned air from these windshield vent towards driver/passenger seats. Am I missing something? I am planning to 3d print adapters to go over the defroster outlets and blow aft.

Gil_J
12-13-2019, 11:18 AM
Design intent is to always have air coming out the windshield vents, even when not selected. I can't say I understand the logic, but I've never heard the engineers rationale.

I know a owner that had an appointment at a Camping World to "Fix" what wasn't broken. Their estimate was $2K!

Fratto
12-13-2019, 03:55 PM
Gil, are you saying that I shouldn’t be able to turn my fan all the way off? Maybe I am mistaken, but I was thinking that I was table to turn it off in the past

Gil_J
12-15-2019, 08:30 AM
Mark, you can turn the fan off. You just can't full close the window defroster damper.

Fratto
12-15-2019, 10:01 AM
Thanks Gil. So I guess I have to figure out why the variable speed works fine but just no longer shuts off. Bad switch or relay or ....
I will get on that when I get her back from Prevost Fort Worth for new brake relay valves and maybe rear air bags.