PDA

View Full Version : Bus shut procedure

DonS
08-23-2012, 08:12 AM
Morning, We have a 1997 Liberty XL. We have always been plugged in for power, both in storage and on trips. Living in Tampa, it appears we may have a storm coming, the first since we purchased the bus last year, and anticipate that a power loss is a real possibility. What is the proper way to shut down the bus, so as not to harm the batteries and other systems? Also what is the coreect way to turn it back on? i have been very impressed with the knowledge this group has, and have learned quite abit from you. Thanks.

JIM KELLER
08-23-2012, 10:46 AM
Don, A " Storm may be coming ! " Let us pray together this Hurricane that is on course to do the most damage to the Tampa Bay area since 1921 alters its direction. Not familiar with Liberty but I would shut all AC and DC circuits off manually in the Bus including the Generators Auto Start then turn both switches in the engine bay to OFF. Someone with a liberty should jump in and advise if your Inverters require a seperate shut down.

jack14r
08-23-2012, 02:00 PM
I have 12 volt disconnects as well as inverter switches,also remember to empty the refrigerator.If I was doing this I would also make sure it was full of fuel so when I returned I could live in it if forced to.I hope that it does not turn into a hurricane and that it just blows itself out and does no damage,good luck.

Gary Carmichael
08-23-2012, 07:32 PM
Don,When we lived on the coast in N,C. if a storm was coming I left the house and took the coach, inland out of harms way, my thoughts were if the storm demolished the house We could live in the coach! Gary

merle&louise
08-23-2012, 08:19 PM
Don,

We do the same thing that Gary just described. We take all of the fresh & frozen food from the house, put it in the coach, and head out in the opposite direction from where the storm is heading. One year we drove to Buckhorn Lake Resort in Kerrville, TX - had a great time!

There's no better way to evacuate from a storm than in a motorhome!

kenrobertson
08-24-2012, 08:31 AM
Mornin' Don - The guys are right....Let Chip take care of the boat, and you and Cheryl need to get in the bus and head for "Camp Millennium" Bring Rick and the gang with you. The more the merrier!

Woody
08-24-2012, 05:28 PM
When HUGO was headed for HHI we headed west in the coach for 2 hours. Best decision we ever made.

tskrodzki
09-23-2012, 11:24 PM
I know this is old but wanted to add our experience too :-) We did the same thing last year when a hurrican came through MA, we packed up and went to Niagara Falls, NY - 6 hours to out run the storm. When it was all said and down it took 14 hours to get home because of washed out roads and bridges, but well worth the escape.