PDA

View Full Version : Silver Leaf VMS 640CL Glass Dash Upgrade

cthalfman
08-13-2012, 09:36 PM
I am currently looking to join the Prevost ownership club. I am currently looking at a 2000 CC that has had the original Compudigital dash replaced with the solid state Silver Leaf VMS 640CL Glass Dash. Does anybody have any experience with this upgrade? Any feedback on its reliability would be appreciated. Looking forward to Prevost ownership.

charlesebrownjr
08-13-2012, 09:51 PM
I have a 99 CC that I replaced the digital dash in about four years ago. Not a single problem so far. Love it. Martin and Dale are great people to work with.

cthalfman
08-13-2012, 10:00 PM
Thanks for the response/feedback.

LarryB
08-13-2012, 10:53 PM
I just upgraded my dash this spring. Like it very well so far with only one complaint. The fuel gauge is way off. Have been supplied the calibration procedure but that requires running the fuel tank down to some point that one would call zero [1/4 or so] and I haven't driven enough to reach that point.

BUDDY, did you have issues with your fuel readings??

Gil_J
08-13-2012, 11:43 PM
That's a $10K upgrade! I'm upgrading mine in two weeks. You should feel good knowing the PC based system has been replaced.

charlesebrownjr
08-14-2012, 08:36 AM
My fule gauge does not work. It has never been correct and does not even read as you use your fuel while driving. Have changed the fuel gauge parameters with my computer till I am tired of fooling with it. I have installed a manual Prevost fuel gauge under the dash and connected a wire from the gauge to pin 68 in the drivers compartment along with power and ground. (24 volt gauge). This is the only problem I have with the system. Dale, Martin and I have gone round and round about this. Good luck. If you use the manual gauge you have to disconnect the fuel gauge wire Silver Leaf uses for the manual gauge to work. In my coach it is wire #34 in the steer compartment.

Gil_J
08-14-2012, 10:39 AM
Charles,

Can you be more specific on where pin 68 is located?

Thanks,

JIM KELLER
08-14-2012, 10:50 AM
Charles, I also heard the Silver Leaf dash does not include a Turbo Boost Guage. Is this true or is it some other guage that is not included.

charlesebrownjr
08-14-2012, 11:11 AM
Mine does have a turbo boost gauge. There are some functions the Silver Leaf will not show only because of the differences in the information or the messages the DDEC's send out. Not a Silver Leaf problem.
Pin 68 is located outside above the steer compartment in the upper compartment. on my 99, there is a bank of about 75 or so brass screws that all the various wires go to. They are all numbered. On your coach please verify that pin 68 is the wire coming from the fuel gauge sending unit. It puts out OHMs readings. I don't think the configuration on the 2000 is any different than on my 99. The 68 goes to the back of the fuel gauge, another terminal on the gauge is marked ground and the third is marked +Voltage (24 volt). I made up a wire harness with all three wires and used a 24V terminal and a ground terminal in the same compartment as the 68 terminal. Find a 24V source that comes on with the ignition key so the gauge is not hot all the time.

Paul Chelew
08-20-2012, 10:16 AM
I had Dale install the replacement dash in my 2002 CC a few years ago (4?) and have had the same problem with the fuel gauge reading full for the first 550-600 miles after fillup, as I had with the Compudigital Dash. Checked the sender a couple of times, but I have heard that the problem is the plastic fuel tank, which gets hot from the return fuel from the engine, and sags at the top surface where the sender is mounted, allowing the sender to sink in the tank, relative to the fuel level, and give a false reading. This distortion is permanent, and am told it did not happen in earlier models when the tank was not plastic.
BTW, I do have a turbo boost readout; it was also present on the Compudigital from CC.

rfoster
08-21-2012, 08:24 AM
If you own a CC with the glass dash and are concerned about the realiability, I recommed you drop an email to fellow POG member Ray Davis. Even if you have no immediate concerns - he has an alternative that is easy as can be to install and has developed a DDEC error code reader that is read via IPad plus it is a snap to install and use. Even I done it.

There are a number of POG members evaluating the program and I feel confident Ray would be glad to hear of your interest. CC or not. You'll need an Ipad and some additional hardware available from Ray.

All pertinent Engine functions including ground speed, "RPM, oil Pressure, Water Temp, boost, etc. No fuel or Air gauge but everything else. In dial format or bar slide.

Many thanks to Ray for his efforts and the time he has devoted to developing this very useful and beneficial app.

JIM KELLER
08-22-2012, 01:22 PM
Roger, I didn't know you had this new toy ! Can't wait to see it.

rfoster
08-22-2012, 09:27 PM
Will be very happy to show it off to you and Patrick while enjoy an adult beverage after fixin my auto awning!

Paul Chelew
08-26-2012, 01:55 PM
Re the AutoAwn comment: I spent the first 4 years of owning my 2002 CC, trying to get the AutoAwn to work consistently. LazyDays , CC, and one other service op could not get it right. Finally gave up on them and called ZipDee; got the guy on the phone who designed the thing. After some discussion, I wound up pulling the entire control panel, shipping it to ZD, where they overhauled it by installing new software and new air control solenoid valves. Got it back, reinstalled it, things worked OK a few times, then the breaker for the motor would pop on retract. Talked to ZD again, they said the main roller spring might be incorrectly pre-loaded. I arranged to have their service guy meet me at the FMCA rally that was coming up in OR that summer; he did, and the phone DX was correct. They reset the correct number of turns into the main spring, and the only problems since then have been that the two 12V. batteries in the control panel died (I got new ones from a Las Vegas battery distributor for about 60% of what Batteries Plus wanted); and the contol panel computer got out of synch with the awning position-an easy fix using the manual switches in the panel. Been working properly the last year or so, but I always hold my breath and cross my fingers while operating it.

Ray Davis
08-27-2012, 08:59 PM
Roger, thanks for the kind words. For those of going to POG 11 in Vegas, I will be demonstrating the apps there. I'm getting close to finally releasing, but a a little more work to be done. However, I have plenty of room in the beta program to add a few more testers.

PM or email if you would like more info. We have a number of POG testers on board currently.

Ray