PDA

View Full Version : Average Road Speed in Montana Mountains

JIM CHALOUPKA
07-25-2012, 10:27 AM
Wondering about the road speed in Montana, traveling on I-90 West from Billings to Butte. The distance is 226mi and my concern is being that the route is through the mountains the distance might be too far for a comfortable leg of the journey. Would it be wise to cut the distance in half or what?

Not there yet, just planning ahead.

JIM:confused:

billbunch47
07-25-2012, 10:53 AM
Jim, I have done that route two different times and the road is really good. Not what you picture in your mind about fooling with the rockies, you have to get to the two lane stuff to get the real effect. Bill

JIM CHALOUPKA
07-25-2012, 12:08 PM
Thanks Bill, not worried just checking.

JIM :o

Kenneth Brewer
07-25-2012, 12:11 PM
What Bill said. We did this almost 20 years ago. No problem at all. The road is very good and the views expansive and gorgeous. We traveled 89 north from Yellowstone to I-90 and headed east and down into Wyoming to and through Gillette to get to Devils Tower. 226 miles should be an easy morning or afternoon trip. My two cents. Now you made me think of going back.

wyle.e.kyote
07-25-2012, 02:21 PM
Agreed with what others have said I-90 is fine (we crossed west-east about 15 days ago) .. A little construction in Bozeman but past that it was smooth sailing

JIM CHALOUPKA
07-31-2012, 12:02 AM
More wondering. How is the going on I-90 Bozeman to Missoula?

Continuing North to Flathead Lake on US93.

Will this be slow going in lower gears?

JIM :confused:

Loc
07-31-2012, 07:31 AM
Jim,

93 north out of Missoula is pretty good. There is one good hill close to Missoula and a number of small towns with lights along the way. The last time we went to Glacier we went around the east side of the lake instead of 93 on the west side. The road is more direct. It is a good two lane, but there are hundreds of blind driveways and a slower speed is warranted.

JIM CHALOUPKA
07-31-2012, 11:10 AM
OK, thanks for the tips, leaving Bozeman now for Missoula.

:)

Coloradobus
07-31-2012, 11:52 AM
Jim,

I-90 acrossed the western Gallatin Valley is gently rolling to flat. Whitehall Mt before Homestake Pass is 4,360ft. Then you climb Homestake which is 6239 (6350ft continental divide), then down into Butte, 5538ft.
I-90 to Missoula is more of the same like Bozeman to Whitehall.
The climb up north out of Missoula as others have said isn't anything worse than travelling from Billings to Big Timber Mt. or Sheridan Wyo, to Hardin Mt.
Have fun
Be sure to stop at St Ignacious and tour the chapel. nearby there is the Buffalo Preserve. In Polson, you might get in on the tail of the Flathead Cherry season.
The drive along Flathead Lake is beautiful, and once in the Kalispell/ Whitefish, Columbia Falls area, all the towns are quite quaint.