PDA

View Full Version : Generator Watchdog on Liberty

ToyMan
07-23-2012, 03:15 PM
My generator starts and runs for about 2 seconds and then shuts off. The Watchdog control box has 4 lights on it with no description. The bottom one lights up red when the generator shuts off.

I go through the sequence again and the system does nothing until I press the watchdog RESET button. Then, same problem, gen shuts down after about 2 seconds and red light comes on again.

Exactly what does this watchdog system monitor?

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated?

Thanks.

Ron

jack14r
07-23-2012, 07:49 PM
The watchdog monitors a variety of things including temperature and oil pressure,you can by-pass the watchdog and the generator should also monitor the temp and oil pressure.

JIM KELLER
07-24-2012, 07:07 AM
Ron, Do you have a Power Tech generator ?

ToyMan
07-24-2012, 07:59 AM
Jim,
Yes.
Ron

TG Transport
07-24-2012, 09:26 AM
I owned a 1994 Liberty for several years and actually had them upgrade my watchdog unit to a newer version. That said, the unit can be disconnected and bypassed to allow the generator to run normally. Troy walked me through the steps one Saturday afternoon when I experienced similar problems to yours.

JIM KELLER
07-24-2012, 09:39 AM
Open the radiator cap on the metal reservoir tank and put your finger inside to see if your model has a float inside. If so lightly tap the top of it to see if it is stuck in a downward position. If rough roads have bounced the generator hard enough the float will sometimes get stuck sending a signal to the Watchdog telling it the water level is low and won't let the generator run.

JIM KELLER
07-25-2012, 08:45 AM
Ron, Any luck ?

ToyMan
07-25-2012, 05:16 PM
Jim,
Mine has a coolant sensor just below the coolant tank on the gen. All of that is OK.

I called Bill in Chicago and he said the red light I was experiencing was an "oil pressure" issue. After going through a lot of tests, we determined that the oil pressure and gauge were OK. Bill thinks it is in the watchdog control box.

My coach has a custom made control panel with a "run switch" that allows it run while bypassing the watchdog. That works fine.

Now I just need to see if Liberty in Ft. Lauderdale has a "vintage" powertech bus with the watchdog so mine can be tested.

JIM KELLER
07-26-2012, 06:43 AM
Sounds like you have learned a lot about your system. Keep us updated on the end result.