PDA

View Full Version : Removing Window Shades???

BrianE
07-16-2012, 10:18 AM
It's time to remove and clean the Hunter-Douglas Silhouette shades in our 99 Royale. The shades are mounted between the windows and a window valence which extends about 6" down from the ceiling. There is approximately 3" between the window and the valence. There are two plastic brackets, each of which are attached to the top of the window frame with 2 screws. To remove the shades you insert a screwdriver into a tab on the brackets and twist. The shade is intended to slide inboard to release it from the brackets. Trouble is, the brackets are mounted too close to the valence and the shade can't slide inboard far enough for removal. Near as I can tell, the only way to get the shades down is to break the brackets.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? If I do have to break the brackets, is there a source for getting new ones? They are no longer available from Hunter.

coreygrubb
07-16-2012, 10:23 AM
If the ones you want remove are in a window with a screen, remove the screen and do it from out side. Otherwise ?

pwf252
07-16-2012, 06:02 PM
BRIAN,
SORRY CANT HELP WITH THE REMOVAL PROCESS BUT i'M INTERESTED IN HOW YOU INTEND TO CLEAN THEM ONCE THEY ARE OUT? ARE THESE SHADES THE ONES THAT ARE SHEAR AND HAVE INTERIOR SLATS THAT OPEN AND CLOSE? ALSO IF THEY ARE PLEASE DESCRIBE THE REMOVAL PROCESS ONCE YOU FIGURE IT OUT IF YOU DONT MIND. THANKS

wayne
07-16-2012, 06:43 PM
Sounds as though the blinds were installed before the valances were hung. There has to be a way to remove the valance so that you can remove the blinds without breaking the brackets. Are the valances covered with a pleated fabric by chance? If so, gently dig through the pleats and see if you find any screw heads....these could possibly be the way to remove the valance and in turn gain access to the blinds.

Good Luck!

AmeriStar
07-16-2012, 09:17 PM
In ours, you grab both sides and push toward the back of the clips. The front side will then drop down and you can remove the entire blind.

Seabyrd
07-16-2012, 09:44 PM
Patrick... Are yours electric?
Diane

BRIAN,
SORRY CANT HELP WITH THE REMOVAL PROCESS BUT i'M INTERESTED IN HOW YOU INTEND TO CLEAN THEM ONCE THEY ARE OUT? ARE THESE SHADES THE ONES THAT ARE SHEAR AND HAVE INTERIOR SLATS THAT OPEN AND CLOSE? ALSO IF THEY ARE PLEASE DESCRIBE THE REMOVAL PROCESS ONCE YOU FIGURE IT OUT IF YOU DONT MIND. THANKS

CAPT MOGUL & Sandy
07-17-2012, 09:50 AM
Diane, get a dryer vent brush cleaner, trim the bristles to make smaller, and then wrap some Swiffer duster pads around the brush. Insert at ends of silhouette shades and pull back & forth.
This is my version & not having to remove them from windows
Sandy

Seabyrd
07-17-2012, 10:07 AM
Thanks Sandy... I have new blinds as mine were beyond cleaning.... I was asking Patrick if his were electric like mine as that would make removal more complicated.
Diane

Liam
07-17-2012, 06:39 PM
I just replaced my worn blinds and had the same issue. My answer was two steps. 1) ordered 6 sets of cellular blinds from Blindsgalore.com for $400 Kids complained of the cold draft in the winter so wanted more insulation. 2) go to Lowes and buy a foot-long flexible shaft for your power screw driver. Remove the screws on old brackets. Use the same holes to mount the new brackets.

Ok, step 3. Marvel at your luck that the process actually works and stuff fits.

JIM CHALOUPKA
07-20-2012, 09:04 AM
The way my shades are attached is with two screws up into the header. The holes were drilled randomly by the installer. You need a very long screw driver, or the flexible shaft type for your drill.

The shades must be ultrasonically cleaned. This is a standard procedure and available in large metropolitan areas at high end drapery and upholstery cleaning service co's. Often these cleaning services are available at the local shade, drapery sales franchise. You will not find this in "podunk" you must go to a large metropolitan area where there is a clientele to support the service. While not appearing to be expensive on the per shade $$ it adds up fast and you still have the old shades.
The process is an art and not a science and you are at the mercy of the technician. The old shades deteriorate with age and if left in the solution too long or are processed too vigorously may literally fall apart.
If you break any parts you are at the mercy of the dealer, does he have any old misc. parts around. The Hunter Douglas co is not prone to help and they have a very bad customer service, (can't think of a polite way to say it). I will not buy any Hunter Douglas product in the future

Sooooo, if you want a fresh clean look and are not concerned about a restoration, I would seriously look into buying NEW. My cost for cleaning, was over $400.00

Live and learn, I am sorry I did not get NEW.

JIM:)

Charles Spera
07-20-2012, 09:35 AM
OK, Maybe my Hunter- Douglas(HD) shades are different but since my golf partner is a HD dealer I have been shown that it is quite simple to remove the shade itself.

Simply use that long phillips head screwdrover on the outside (window side) of the shade and loosen the clips that hold the shade in the head board. the dang things practically fall out into your hands.

As far a cleaning is concerned, I have fashioned a length of 6" PVC pipe long enough to accomoodate the longest shade inside and capped one end. On that same end I have a fitting to attach a garden hose.

Holding the tube as about 60 degrees upright and using dishwashing soap like Dawn, I insert the shade into the tube, turn on the water and let the tube fill with enough water/suds to cover the shade. Agitating (shaking) the tube seems to make the cleaning go faster and then turn the water back on until the suds are gone.

Gently removing the extended shade and hanging it in the shop overnight dries it and it is ready to re-install.

Before washing and before re-hanging the shade, I pull the shade into the retracted position to make handling easier and to avoid damage.

It's simple but to be honest, kind of messy wet. Maybe you should do it while wearing your Speedo...and maybe out on the lawn where there is no need to clean up.

Cheers

dmatz
07-20-2012, 09:41 PM
You can call Dan Jordan at Royale Phenoix he can tell you how to remove them. A great help on Royale Coaches. 574-206-1216

CAPT MOGUL & Sandy
07-21-2012, 10:15 AM
Chuck & Barb,
Are the shades you are referring to called "Silhouettes"? Could you post a picture of your shades?
Sandy

BrianE
07-21-2012, 10:40 AM
Doug, FYI I have done a lot of business with Royale Phoenix. Dan and Glenn have helped me out of many jams. I have also visited them and have been very happy with the work they have done, which is considerable. On this issue I was truly disappointed.

Dan refused to acknowledge the shades could have been installed in such a way they cannot be removed without either removing the valences or unscrewing the brackets which are very difficult to access. It was obvious this was an original installation and that the installation procedure was poorly thought out.

The end result is that I have managed to remove the shades. Am now thinking Jim is probably correct in recommending replacement rather than cleaning. MY ultrasonic cleaning quote was over $400.00. Will post estimates for replacement when available. Thanks all for the insightful advice.

Gil_J
07-21-2012, 02:13 PM
If you opt to replace rather than clean you may want to consider the MCD American Duo Day/Night Shades.