PDA

View Full Version : Need a trailer from CA to FL

Jeff Bayley
12-07-2006, 04:12 AM
Does anyone need a trailer of theirs relocated to Florida or anywhere on the East Coast (I will deliver). Or I would trade my 66 T-Bird for an enclosed car carrier perhaps. That would solve the car moving issue but I would still need to move the junk and I can use the trailer down the road for other cars.

I've got a small shed of boxes and misc. stuff and the T-Bird that I need to relocate to hour house in Bradenton Florida. I'm in San Diego now where the car and items are at. I was going to use that POD company which let's you load a small container and they transport it for you but they want over $4k for that service. A lot more than my stuff is worth.

I was also going to ship the car ($1,200) but if I could find an enclosed car carrier I could manage to get both the car and the items inside. I don't want to buy a trailer just for this move. I'm sure I can rent one from U-Haul but I wanted to take 30 days to get home instead of a straight shot plus I don't think U-haul rents enclosed car carriers.

Any ideas ?

Orren Zook
12-07-2006, 04:24 AM
Buy a cheap used trailer out there and sell it when you get home. Most racers are done for the year now and looking to get rid of their older equipment so they can upgrade. Ohio has 30 day temporary plates maybe CA does too, so you wouldn't even have to buy plates.

Jeff Bayley
12-07-2006, 04:55 AM
Orren- Thanks for the prompt reply. I thought I was the only crazy nut that stays up all night. Any suggestions on where to shop for a trailer online ? I thought an enclosed trailer was about $10k for a nice used one (not done Prevost style or anything). I'm sure a beater would be a lot less. If I could get a deal on a nice one I would just hang onto it since I've got some other cars that I don't want to tow. I've never towed a car but the idea of a trailer appeals to me a bit more becuase I can get other things inside besides the car.

dreadnought
12-07-2006, 07:16 AM
jeffro, go to equipmenttraderonline.com and scroll down to trailers in the equipment type box. you can even out in your zip code and limit distance. good luck.

Orren Zook
12-07-2006, 08:57 AM
Jeff,

Dreadnought has a good site, for racing trailers try this link http://www.autoracingtrader.com/race_car_trailers.htm I don't know what the market is like in CA, but here you should be able to buy a nice late model enclosed trailer from Pace, Haulmark or United 24-27 feet long for $4000-$6500. Maybe they're that cheap because the factories are in Indiana and not much transportation is involved.... on new trailers it's a $1 a mile plus tolls for delivery.

MangoMike
12-07-2006, 09:43 AM
Jeff,

Keep in mind about the legal length limits. There's a post just recently about it. 65' is usually the max and from what I understand very enforceable in California.

I am also looking for a used trailer 14 - 18' to use as a workshop/garage.

I'll check out the sites just listed.

Thanks

Mike

Jeff Bayley
12-07-2006, 01:05 PM
Orren-

I checked that site out but most of them are 5th wheels instead of bumper pull. There is one or two bumper pulls. Neat site.

I found one of those articulating Prevosts that are like 60' long that is a fire sale and parts. It's about $7,500 with an 88 Alison trany that I can probabley core out and have $5k in the thing. I wonder if the rear portion of that articulating configuration could be modified to be a trailer. It would have great stroage underneath and stand tall. Not to tow a car, but to have as a rolling showroom for goods and maybe a bunk. It would be H3 height so would have to cofigure A/C elsewhere besides the roof (cruise airs or reefer style unit on front of trailer ?) I suppose $10-$15,000 would go a decent ways to have it done up nice inside (less ?). This doesn't solve my immediate need but another need. Any suggestions on who to call to convert that ? Anyone know anything about a place called Bentley Motor Coach ? He is a small time converter. I think the rig is in Chicago so I'm probabley better off finding someone around there. There's a place called Pharoh Coach or someting like that is WI. about 2-3 hours north of Chicago I think that does conversion stuff.

jonnie
12-07-2006, 02:55 PM
Jeff,

Don't forget Ebay. I have sold several used enclosed trailers there. Go to ebaymotors, trailers, car haulers.

John

dreadnought
12-07-2006, 06:11 PM
I'm a Pace American Dealer. Will order the trailer of your choice for 10% over cost & show you the invoice. They have plants in South Georgia, Elkhart, and Salt Lake City. Leadtime is 6 weeks

Jon Wehrenberg
12-07-2006, 07:29 PM
Jeff, Pharoh Coach, according to Just Plain Jeff has picked up the remnants of Angola Coach.

All Angola owners that need service and require someone with the knowledge of Angola systems may want to contact Pharoh Coach.

MangoMike
12-08-2006, 11:05 AM
Dreadought,

I'm interested in talking with you about a trailer. Can you email me at mike@mangomikes.com

Thanks

PS Sent you a PM.

Just Plain Jeff
12-12-2006, 05:49 PM
FWIW: I was lookin' around for a trailer here in FL and there is a glut of them on the market here (That means a lot of them). Most are priced well below what seems reasonable; a buyer's market. If Fast Roger ever figured out how to move 'em around, he'd be here in a minute.

So, this is the place to buy, not to sell a trailer, or so it seems.

truk4u
12-12-2006, 08:23 PM
That's the problem with Florida and trailers, just like the trucking business. Lot's coming into the state and nothing going out. Some of the trailer rental places had a moratorium on one ways to Florida, they just had no way to get them back out of state. Let's face it, there are a bunch of folks moving to Florida from the frozen north, but not many going in the opposite direction. Jeff is right, good place to buy, bad place to sell.

Joe Cannarozzi
12-12-2006, 08:48 PM
You might be on to something Tom and Jeff. There is your backhauls Tom. Haulin empty U-Hauls north:rolleyes:

truk4u
12-13-2006, 09:23 AM
Joe,
The old saying is we have a load of dispatcher brains going north!:D

Jon Wehrenberg
12-13-2006, 02:24 PM
Southbound they carry sailboat fuel.

jello_jeep
12-13-2006, 04:44 PM
Lot's coming into the state and nothing going out.

Reminds me of my first wife :rolleyes: ......................

Jeff Bayley
12-18-2006, 01:40 AM
Monday morning I've got to pick up with getting the bus wiring harness matched up to work with this 9 pin wiring harness. I've got to get a brake mechanism installed on my bus. Can anyone tell me what should expect to pay for this parts and labor and if there is a preferred brand to use with a Prevost ? Should I let Prevost in Mira Loma do it to and bear the high bill in order to get it right ?

Orren Zook
12-18-2006, 02:58 AM
Monday morning I've got to pick up with getting the bus wiring harness matched up to work with this 9 pin wiring harness. I've got to get a brake mechanism installed on my bus. Can anyone tell me what should expect to pay for this parts and labor and if there is a preferred brand to use with a Prevost ? Should I let Prevost in Mira Loma do it to and bear the high bill in order to get it right ?

One of the best electric brake controllers out is the Prodigy, it's also kinda expensive as controllers go, you can expect to pay $125+ for one depending where you shop. Camping World sells them and might be able to install it for you - providing a national warranty on both parts and labor.
Here's something I have used with some success while on the road and in strange towns, go to the local truck stop and while you're having a coffee at the counter ask a couple of drivers if they live in the area and where they have their trucks serviced when they don't do it themselves. Usually they'll steer you to the best local service and parts locations.

Just Plain Jeff
12-18-2006, 08:53 AM
After working with the Hitman at his Maine RV dealership, I have learned that the slickest way to hook up a toad is to run new wires to new lights on the toad-tail, bypassing all the stuff on the car. Put in new bulbs in the fixtures. That way, no diodes or screwing around with the existing electrical system of the toad. If anyone has any questions about it, you can call Frank at Moon's RV at 207-832-4444. Just tell him you are a friend of Mango Mike and Jerry Winchester and he'll get out from underneath a rotting slide he is working on and help you out. The Hitman is a Master Refrigeration Tech and an Master RVIA tech.

He actually works for a living. Ewwww.

MangoMike
12-18-2006, 10:52 AM
Hitman, 2nd from right.

And a few of his "associates".

mm