PDA

View Full Version : Extended warranties

merle&louise
12-06-2006, 07:06 PM
Has anyone tried buying an extended warranty from one of the warranty companies? I received an email from one that will cover Prevost, Newell, and Bluebirds. Here's the address: www.accws.com

They cover coaches 1995 and newer with up to 125,000 miles on them.

I have always wanted to talk to someone who purchased one of these policies to see if they pay without a big hassle.

Anyone have any experience with them?

rfoster
12-06-2006, 07:44 PM
Tuga: My experience with all extended warranties has been from bad to worse. I no longer offer any extended warranty of any kind in our car business due to the companies 1. going broke, 2 denying customer claims, 3 faullty repairs, and in general just taking the money and crapping on you!

If for some reason you do not share my distaste and decide to purchase a warranty, check to make sure the company is properly licensed to do business in your state. Your secretary of state could answer this.
Get the names and mumbers of at least a half dozen existing customers that have had claims and call every one of them yourself and ask those important questions: Are you satisfied and would you do it again?

My advise is keep the money in your pocket and deal with the problem of repairs when it comes.

kmuller
12-06-2006, 07:56 PM
Merle & Louise - I couldn't agree more with Roger. If you read the "Help" column in the FMCA and Motor Home Magazine, the #1 complaint are folk's trying to get assistance on an extended warranty (which really is an insurance policy) claim. It is a nightmare. You think you have coverage, but paying the premium and having coverage are two different things! If amazes me that people buy a 100k to million dollar motorhome and expect to be insulated from any repair cost. If you go into it with the mindset that the coach is a sophisticated piece of machinery and expect that you'll put some reasonable time and money into keeping it up properly, then you'll have a good experience. Budget for reasonable upkeep and enjoy the ride!

merle&louise
12-06-2006, 07:57 PM
Roger,

I have always felt the way you do, but I just wanted to get some other opinions. I know that Good Sams club has an insurance company that they deal with, but I have never heard anything, good or bad, from any policy holders. I have read some of the policys, and they seem to cover everything but I just don't believe it.

I feel like you do; keep the money in your pocket and pay the piper when he pipes!;)

merle&louise
12-06-2006, 08:00 PM
Thanks Karl, good post. As much I have read FMC magazine, I guess that I just skipped over the the Help section. What you say makes sense; just budget the repair costs and enjoy the ride down the road.

win42
12-06-2006, 08:38 PM
"These might be "Million MILE COACHES" but they will cost a $1,000,000.00 to get them there!!"
Jim C's quote above comes in to play here. The last extended warranty I bought for an RV wound up in the dealers pocket and never sent to the Insurance Co.
When I went after him the line was too long.

Toy Box
12-06-2006, 10:09 PM
In our industry, many people have purchased these "extended warranties", but have later discovered them to be extremely poor insurance policies that may sometimes cover a block or a crankshaft failure. The fact is, we just don't see any of these failures. The items which do break or fail are never covered. I would always advise someone to bank the premiums. At least that way, you will have some lew bucks to use IF you ever have a failure AND, you won't have to get your jockey shorts in a bind while screaming at the "warranty" agent on the phone!!!!!

amanda
12-14-2006, 08:32 AM
Do you know anything about CoachNet? It's suppose to be like AAA for motorhomes.
Thanks, Amanda

rmboies
12-14-2006, 08:48 AM
I concur with the extended warranty/insurance advice that has been given here. We made the mistake of taking out warranty insurance on our previous H3 coach and we were told repeatedly that it covered in motion satellite problems. Long and short was that it did not. Every penny of the new system we put in the previous coach came out of pocket. I believe that same company is now out of business with our premium in their palms. I am not saying that all companies are like this, I am just relating our personal experience and it was not a positive one.

garyde
12-14-2006, 09:01 PM
Hi Amanda. I believe the Coachnet is offered thru FMCA. Like most policy,s, you don't really know how good they are until you have an emergency and need them. I like to have some kind of coverage before I travel, so I have used them and Good Sam in the past. But, I have never had to call them. Gary

lewpopp
12-14-2006, 09:32 PM
Amanda

I don't know how you did it, but you are already a senior member. Wow !!! You've got pull

I am a member of Coach Net. I have used them only twice and was pleased with their service. Call them and ask them any question you want. This number is the the emergency road service # but tell them you want to ask a few questions to become familiar with their company. They are affiliated with FMCA so if they don't perform, FMCA will remind them of their responsibilities. 1-800-273-1110

amanda
12-18-2006, 07:47 AM
Thanks, guess I'll renew our coachnet, had it for years, just never used it.

I have no idea how I became a senior member...believe me, I have no pull whatsoever!!