PDA

View Full Version : Cape Canaveral, FL

JamesJ
12-04-2006, 11:29 PM
We may just head East to go see the Shuttle launch at night. Any hints or places to stay, park the bus, anything?

JamesJ
12-05-2006, 02:47 PM
Yup, we are leaving in just a few hours. Should be fun. Anything we should know about I-10 from Houston to FL and then down the ole I-75?

truk4u
12-05-2006, 08:59 PM
JamesJ,
You are about to find out if there is anything wrong with your bus!:(
I-10 in LA will beat you to death. Hang in there...;)

lewpopp
12-05-2006, 09:28 PM
JJ, I happened to be at a coach rally at The Great Outdoors during one rocket launch. We were just lucky to be there because there is one posponement after another. You have to be able to stay around in case there is a posponement.

Campers, Motorhomes, suv's, tents are all over the place on the roads and the cops are usually having a lot of people move.

I personally have no idea where to tell you to stay unless it is TGO. North on 95 there are a couple campgrounds (new) approx 20 miles.

Good luck in your escapade. It's a magnificent happening. We should be able to see the launch where we are in Port St. Lucie about 125 miles south if it is a clear night.

Good luck

Lew

JamesJ
12-05-2006, 11:33 PM
Well we are in Lafayette now, so far so good. The roads are much better now then they use to be. Lots of new asphalt! Going to stop in Mississippi for the night.

bill&jody
12-17-2006, 07:28 PM
lew,james-
ok, its too late to recommend a place to stay near titusville for the launch, but TGO is a great place (despite the recent news item). their activities newsletter (online) is almost 40 pages. we've been here for ~1 wk, and its great. lots of covered pads to keep out of the sun so you can polish and clean in the shade. you're close to stuff so you can shop for things from walmart to lowes, and lots of restaurants.

i very much recommend this place. we're thinkin' of buying a pad here.

we got pics of the launch last wk - if you want a night pic, shoot me an email, i'll send it.

wmm

lewpopp
12-17-2006, 09:16 PM
Bill, Kathy and I were daydreaming when the launch went off and missed it. I guess we were nightdreaming and would love to see a picture of the launch. It would have been a bit less down where we are.

Lew

lewpopp
12-17-2006, 09:18 PM
Nuts, I forgot to give you my e-mail addres although it is listed in my profile.Lewpopp2@msn.com

bill&jody
12-17-2006, 09:58 PM
pic is on the way. its 2MB+, so if your mail server coughs up a hairball on big files, lemme know.
wmm

Gary & Peggy Stevens
12-18-2006, 01:11 PM
The Night pic would be great, but I am interested in the campground you stayed at? TGO ?

Send me info on that place too, PLEASE.

9-9stevens@houston.rr.com

lewpopp
12-18-2006, 10:12 PM
Bill, there's a hairball in the system and we didn't receive the pic. Please send it another way.

Thanks

Lew

bill&jody
12-20-2006, 10:29 PM
ok, the one i sent was pretty large - it could be your mail server barf'd on it.
i'll send a smaller version - its an 85% version of the original - not quite as good, but certainly not bad.

i'll send it shortly. in fact, i'll post it here (in small version).
http://wheresjodyandbill.com/pics/wmm_launch-85.jpg

the large version (size is 2038912) is at http://wheresjodyandbill.com/pics/wmm_launch.jpg.
it ain't great, but its from 6 miles away with a hand held 300mm lens.

its still large (for screen size, anyway). i can provide a much smaller one that fits the screen better if you want.

as for gary and peggy - TGO is "the great outdoors". its an "rv resort" (snoot snoot) just west of titusville on rt. 50. if you want to stay here (and i recommend it highly) you'd better get on the stick - the rentals are rare in jan-march. we can provide phone #s for some rentals if the office doesn't have anything. we'll need the dates.

check www.tgoresort.com, phone 800.621.2267 or 321.269.5004.

failing that, email me. see profile.

wmm