PDA

View Full Version : Computers and Printers

Ronald Hiemann
05-01-2012, 09:16 AM
Seeing Jamie's post on picture sizing, I spied a portable printer set-up behind the driver seat. This prompted me to think of the following.
I should imagine that many of us do have some kind of PC on board and possibly a printer. The printer can be a problem because most of them are kind of heavy and bulky and you need to connect it to the PC, laptop or what have you, by using a USB cable.
I did recently find, buy and install a printer, which is not only very compact, it also is a multi-function printer, which copies and scans and faxes documents. Plus, it even does Facebook and it twits.
Much more important, it is Wi-Fi enabled.
The printer is an HP ENVY.
It really is very compact and weighs very little.
What I like about it the most is, that it installs itself on your wireless network (provided that you have one, i.e. a wireless router).
So setting it up was easy and took just a couple of minutes. Other than me inserting the setup CD and answering 2 or 3 questions, all else was done by the printer.
It even printed a test page by itself.
One other neat feature is the paper tray. It opens automatically when you print and it closes and slides inside, when you are done printing. So no parts sticking out of the printer, either.
Cost of the printer is about $175
The printer model is a # 170 or 175, not sure.
One more IMPORTANT benefit of this printer is, that it works with an iPhone or iPad!!!!! And NO APP needed for that!

Jamie Bradford
05-01-2012, 11:07 AM
That is good to know Ron.

I have a HP H470 which connects thru Bluetooth. It does not scan or copy but I got a Canon Scanner for $ 99 bucks that works ok.

I guess , for older coaches , the Bluetooth function is good because you do not need a wireless network set up on the coach.

There are several options available to anyone who needs to set up this kind of stuff.

I would be nice if other people could post how they are doing this stuff.

Jamie

JIM CHALOUPKA
05-01-2012, 11:42 AM
Have been using the Brother MFC J615W, wireless, color copy, color print and scan. We like it a lot.

JIM

jack14r
05-01-2012, 02:39 PM
I use a printer with bluetooth.

Seabyrd
05-01-2012, 08:59 PM
I too have the HP Envy... pretty amazing capabilities and looks more like a piece of stereo equipment than a printer. I have that set up in my bedroom at our house and it looks nice at nestled in with my WiFi and stereo stuff. I have an HP all in one printer scanner, copier and fax combo in the bus that is wireless also it's much lighter than the HP Envy. I will replace it with the Envy model when it bites the dust... it takes up a lot more space than the Envy but it works every bit as well. I have mine in the old TV cabinet in the stateroom (we added a 32" flat screen) so its no big deal space wise at this point... I have utilized the entire old TV cabinet for my satellite box, blue-ray, wireless router, all hooked into a battery back-up so I don't have to keep reprogramming any of it. I have the MBR 1000 wireless router and use our Sprint aircard (Unlimited data). I set my network up exactly the same as the house... same name and security key... that way when I walk in the bus I connect without even knowing it.. same with our laptops, ipads & iphones. We have never had a connection failure... OOPs probably shouldn't have said that !! Also have cellular booster antenna on top of bus for the aircard. Works very well for us!

Sticks
05-02-2012, 07:41 PM
Wow! thanks for the tip! I'm was going out to buy a wireless printer before our next trip and will definitely look at this one. Cost is very good as well.

JIM CHALOUPKA
05-04-2012, 10:28 PM
When buying a printer, be sure to take into account the $$ and ease of obtaining ink. Remember the old shaving razor that you could get for next to nothing and they made their money on the blades, forever more. Just sayin.

JIM :)

Ronald Hiemann
05-05-2012, 06:32 PM
Good advice about the ink. From my own experience, you can always find HP ink cartridges at Staples and Office Max.
Another excellent place to buy is Amazon. Their prices are as good as or better than the stores and they ship to your house.
If you paid the $75 annual fee for the Prime membership, you get 2nd day delivery for free and Next Day for an additional fee of $3.99 - it has been worth my while for sure.
The Prime membership fee and free shipping applies to any item, as long as it is marked "prime" - that means, you can get PC and monitors and many other items shipped for free and this savings adds-up quickly. Aside frothe benefit of receiving 2nd day delivery.
Another aside about ink cartridges and printers, you can certainly find less costly ink jet printers. Sometimes for as little as $50 which sounds very tempting. BUT, you cool off really fast, when you check their ink cartridge prices and yield!
I have always bought HP printers for my business and never gone wrong with that decision.
Cheers,
Ronald