PDA

View Full Version : Lexan Bus Armor - Free!

tommybahama96
04-22-2012, 08:40 PM
I recently found a couple of used Lexan bus armor shields complete with their stand off hardware components. One is from a '98 Prevost, the other from a '91. Seller wouldn't break up the set, so I'm picking them up next week in Titusville, FL.

These shields restore beautifully, according to previous POG postings here
http://forum.prevostownersgroup.com/showthread.php?2034-Lexan&highlight=LEXAN.

I'm keeping the newer one for a trip to Alaska. I'll deliver the older one free to whomever wants one. The snag: You have to meet me somewhere on I-95 between Titusville, FL, and Woodbridge, VA, by pre-arrangement on Monday or Tuesday, 4/30 or 5/1.

BTW, I'm well aware of the aesthetic arguments against the shields. Feel free to add some more if you like. Me, I don't want no dinged-up stainless on my bow from a 10,000-mile trip.

Regards,

merle&louise
04-22-2012, 09:50 PM
David,

I have no interest in the lexan shields, but I did want to make a suggestion about your Alaska trip. I am assuming that this is your first trip to Alaska (correct me if I'm wrong). We drove to Alaska in 2010 from Houma, Louisiana (Houma is 26 miles north of the Gulf of Mexico). Needless to say, it was a long trip.

The roads that we traveled were paved with the exception of "Top of the World Hiway" which I would definitely stay off of. Everything else was asphalt or something similar. It is the trip of a life time; we throughly enjoyed it. It was long but very infromative and the scenry was awesome.

Good luck and enjoy!

tommybahama96
04-22-2012, 10:36 PM
Thanks for your good wishes. Yes, it will be our first trip. Perhaps I'm delusional; images of narrow roads, thrown stones and two-by-fours, errant bear, etc. Still, I'll see how the lexan works out.

michaeldterry
04-23-2012, 05:21 AM
The snag: You have to meet me somewhere on I-95 between Titusville, FL, and Woodbridge, VA, by pre-arrangement on Monday or Tuesday, 4/30 or 5/1.

Regards,

Will your route between FL and VA bring you anywhere near the Atlanta, GA area? If so, I'm interested in taking one of the shields off your hands!

Gary Carmichael
04-23-2012, 08:19 AM
Yes!, The Knights and their Shields, but I will say better than a maidenform!

Gary Carmichael
04-23-2012, 09:02 AM
Tuga, Karen, I would like to know the route you took am thinking of our first trip to AK, Maybe next year, thanks Gary

merle&louise
04-23-2012, 10:27 AM
Gary,

We crossed the border at Sweetwater, MT > Edmonton > Dawson Creek, BC > Summitt Lake > Muncho Lake > Watson Lake - be sure to visit the Sign Post forest > Whitehorse > Dawson City > Top of the World Hiway (I would skip this road it is really bad - 80 miles of gravel and if it rains can become very dangerous) > Chicken ( a total zero IMO) > Tok > Fairbanks > Denali NP > Talkeetna > Anchorage > Soldotna > Ninilchick > Seward > Portage > Whitter (we drove the coach onto a ferry which took us to Valdez) > Valdez > Cooper Center, AK > back to Tok, AK > Haines Junction, AK > Haines, AK > (took another ferry to Skagway > Carcross > Watson Lake > Ft. Nelson > Edmonton > back home.

We traveled with Ken and Janet Zittrer (POG members) starting in Dawson Creek, BC; they are great traveling companions and great friends. Ken is very knowledgeable about Alaska and Canada. We couldn't have asked for better folks to travel with.

I would strongly suggest that you travel with another coach; it just makes the long trip more fun.

It is a long and expensive trip; but it is well worth it. It is a little hard on your bus (read dirt and grime in every crevess of the bus). But when you return home you will have some of the best memories of your lives.

Enjoy!

Gary Carmichael
04-23-2012, 06:25 PM
Sounds wonderful!,The trip will be made when our lab passes, she will be 14 October this year. She is a wonderful animal and has traveled with us to all states except AK and Wyoming, her traveling days are short from here on in, and accordingly our travel plans are based on her health, dreading that day! Gary

Liam
04-24-2012, 08:19 PM
I work in Rockville MD just north of woodbridge and have one on my '92 that is really scratched up. I bought a product used on airplane canopies and was going to try it. If no one bites, I would love a spare to experiment on with polishing and as a back-up.

Gil_J
05-02-2012, 02:39 PM
David,

When are you crossing into Canada? We too are planning on going to AK this year. We just bought a 99 Prevost Country Coach, we just need to get a few systems checks done. We also have to get our 2008 Beaver Contessa 42 on consignment somewhere. So, if the stars and planets all align, we'll be leaving FL near the end of the month and headed to Stafford VA. Our grandsons are there. In fact, we relocated from Woodbridge last fall.

Regards,

Gil

tommybahama96
05-03-2012, 07:12 PM
I work in Rockville MD just north of woodbridge and have one on my '92 that is really scratched up. I bought a product used on airplane canopies and was going to try it. If no one bites, I would love a spare to experiment on with polishing and as a back-up.

Liam -

The shield from the '91 is all yours. The gentleman who sold me the shields is retired NASA. It certainly shows; he's labeled all the standoff hardware alphabetically with their corresponding holes on the shield. Here's another snag: The shields are aboard my bus which is being serviced down in Knoxville. It should be back in the beltway in a few weeks. PM your contact info.

Regards,