PDA

View Full Version : Biggest turn-off when buying a coach...

merle&louise
04-19-2012, 10:39 AM
Most of us have purchased several MH/coaches over the years and I was thinking: what was the biggest turn-off when looking at a coach or MH?

Lack of maintenance records, color schemes, floor plan, cost, poor workmanship, or PRICE?

In other words, what was the deal breaker?:(

rahangman
04-19-2012, 12:38 PM
When we were "looking" we found that all of the buses that we looked at failed for some reason, not necessarily the same. We had budget concerns as well as usage and being complete newbies, we were not sure on many of the details that we had to have vs could either live with or without. It has been an experience that , if done again, would be done somewhat differently but then, isn't that what life is all about, learning through expreience? Good thought to have as a post for those that will either be going forward with their first or "next" coach.

Gary Carmichael
04-19-2012, 01:27 PM
Well the deal was not on a bus but a new Newmar Essex, We negotiated for a couple days and were 3500 apart, this was in 2007 never could do the deal they would not budge and neither would I, a stalemate and on a cash deal! Another dealer came to the right price!

Woody
04-19-2012, 02:40 PM
SALESMAN/SALES COMPANY

I will never but again except from an owner direct!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

prevost76
04-19-2012, 04:30 PM
Well, buying a 2009 CC Prevost that had been sitting around for 18 months with Country Coach out of business so the Warranty on the CC parts was worthless was a leap of faith. The Bus was owned by the Bank that provided floorplan financing to Buddy Gregg, also in Bankruptcy at the time. It was located in Texas, I was in Florida. I flew out an expert to survey the thing for a day, and with his report in hand, I flew out to get the bus the next day. I had sold my CC Affinity to Lazy Days in Tampa, and arranged for them to buy the Bus with simultaneous sale to me so I was wireing the money to Lazy Days for the net difference. Did I forget to mention Lazy Days was also operating in Bankruptcy at the time. So there I was, pretty sure the Bus actually was owned by GE Bank so I SHOULD get a title someday, and I was wireing a large sum of money to Lazy Days that they were wireing to GE Bank I hoped, as I signed the Title over to them for my existing Coach. After waiting around for about an hour, the Bank called me and confirmed the money had arrived. Within five minutes, I was in the Bus headed home to Florida excited and relieved. I took the Bus to Lazy Days, and they fixed the few items we had discovered free of charge. They also provided and paid for the travel of the Survey Technician. They sold my Affinity in two weeks. They were great to work with and the "Trade" deal saved me considerable sales tax as well.

Woody
04-19-2012, 07:39 PM
What I said before stands except for "KEN" who is the greatest.

Jamie Bradford
04-19-2012, 07:50 PM
Hi Fred,

It looks like everyone came out a winner on that deal.

Jamie

travelite
04-19-2012, 07:57 PM
Well it's not really a deal breaker, but my pet peeve is when the coach isn't emptied and clean. I don't want to spend a lot of money on travel to look at someone's dirty laundry, or closets full of stuff, or basements littered with travel paraphernalia, etc. When folks want to sell a bus they need to empty them out. Make it easy for the buyer to like the thing. Make it easy for the buyer to inspect every drawer, cabinet, and basement bay. Too much stuff littered about is a real distraction and real turn-off. :)

Pete
04-19-2012, 08:49 PM
A seller or dealer who will not post his asking price gets zero attention from me. If they are ashamed of the asking price, there must be a reason. Price to high, ect.
A huge turn off for me.

Ray Davis
04-20-2012, 11:53 AM
How about posting asking prices that are so high to be absurd, knowing you will negotiate down to reasonable?

merle&louise
04-20-2012, 01:12 PM
Some turn-offs for me are: Splendie washer/dryer, basement ACs (I like roof ACs better), and dark colors inside. My coach had dark colors inside, but we renovated it last year with lighter, neutral colors. I also would not buy a coach painted black (not that they are not pretty, because they are): black is just too difficult to keep clean!

I also don't like having to remove bay cabinets, panels, etc. to get to batteries or AC units (if they are basement AC). I like everything where I can easily get to it.

Zmax73
04-20-2012, 01:39 PM
Knowing that animals have been in the BUS, zero maintenance records and negoiating w/Dealers .

AmeriStar
04-20-2012, 05:32 PM
Salesmen that have never owned a premium level coach are the worst.
Although I have only purchased 1 Prevost private coach, I have purchased over 30 MCI and Setra seated coaches.
I only purchase new from the manufacturer or used from the current owner.
Just don't have time for brokers or salesmen to negotiate their deal.

garyde
04-21-2012, 10:25 PM
I know its nothing to be overly concerned about, but the dated interiors and exterior paint schemes . Its very difficult to choose a coach unless you like the paint scheme. The interiors can be redone over time. Ive also prefer the enclosed private bathroom rather than the John being in the open bathroom.
The generator on the starboard side never made sense to me since thats the side we use the most when parked.
My coach has the Coach batteries buried in the belly of the coach, that is a real hassle when I need to access, as well as the aux air pump. Not turn offs but
an inconvienance for maintenace.
Theres always give and take when choosing a Coach.

tskrodzki
06-21-2012, 05:49 PM
My turn off was being directly lied to about whether the bus "Jed" was in the lot during the 2009 TN flood. Looked in the bays and there was water lines. If the sales man is going to lie at least be totally dishonest and get rid of the water lines. Moved on to the next dealer and was treated like royalty. Honesty is the best policy. And regular maintenance/service records from Prevost all in three ring binders were a huge PLUS. We ended up buying.a retired leased entertainer - very wise decision.

aggies09
06-24-2012, 12:37 AM
Salespeople who think they are doing you a favor by talking to you while trying to extract huge sums of money. And I am with Pete, why some dealers spend great effort and cash to market their product, but won't show a price or if they show a price it is 100,000 or more beyond the market is baffling to me. Rarely will I ever call or contact a dealer if they are afraid to price their product.

merle&louise
06-24-2012, 08:22 AM
When a dealer won't post his asking prices, it is because they are too high! Gas stations don't post their prices when they are higher than the store across the street. I don't like to see this strategy, but I would put more emphasis the coach itself. If I like the coach (colors, floorplan, etc.) I would not hesitate to visit the dealership. However, I would be reluctant to make an offer because the starting point (the asking price) is so much higher.