PDA

View Full Version : Bluewater Key - Key West

Jamie Bradford
04-14-2012, 06:42 PM
Debbie & Caesar & I are on a short "Road Trip" .

Bluewater Key RV Resort - Mile marker 14.5 - Key West.

This place is absolutely Gorgeous!!

merle&louise
04-14-2012, 07:15 PM
Hi Jamie & Debbie,

We stayed there a few years ago and you're right it is awesome.

Looks like you got one of the premo sites! I think we were in #73 right on the bay side. I could live there year round.

Thanks for posting the pictures.

garyde
04-14-2012, 10:17 PM
The weather looks great. Is this time of year a good time to be in that area, no storms, etc.?

dmatz
04-15-2012, 08:07 AM
We love Blue Water Key it is our favorite place to go. Have stayed there several times o er the last 5 years and it a top pic for our family. Enjoy your stay in paradise.

Ronald Hiemann
04-15-2012, 07:38 PM
After spending 1 week in Boyd's, we spent a week in Blue Water this past February. Great place to have some quiet times. At $150-160 per night, also very pricey. The problem at Blue Water is, that it is not near to anything. You have to take the car, always. No matter, where you want to go. So, if quiet times is what you like (and, perhaps, doing some cayaking or swimming, then this is a great place). But for all else, it is not a good location since it is about 12 miles to the Key West townline. Would I go back to Blue Water? Yes, I would but only for a night or two.

merle&louise
04-15-2012, 07:51 PM
After spending 1 week in Boyd's, we spent a week in Blue Water this past February. Great place to have some quiet times. At $150-160 per night, also very pricey. The problem at Blue Water is, that it is not near to anything. You have to take the car, always. No matter, where you want to go. So, if quiet times is what you like (and, perhaps, doing some cayaking or swimming, then this is a great place). But for all else, it is not a good location since it is about 12 miles to the Key West townline. Would I go back to Blue Water? Yes, I would but only for a night or two.

Ronald,

You're right; it is pricey! We only stayed a couple of nights because of the price.

How did Boyd's compare in price to Bluewater?

We stayed 1 night in Marathon and it was $100. At the time, Bluewater was $149 so it was about 50% more. Truth be known, I feel that it was worth it. Bluewater is fantastic! I would definitely go back even with the high price.

The Keys are just expensive, period.

Ronald Hiemann
04-16-2012, 09:55 PM
Price is one thing and I do agree that you get what you pay for. So, for the money, we were not disappointed when we stayed at Blue Water. However, Gabi and I like to be active. Walk a lot, bicycle a lot but all within reasons. When we stayed at Boyd's which is 5 miles from Key West, we took our bicycles almost every day and rode them into town. No worries about finding a parking space or paying for it. We walked around town and had fun. At Boyd's, you can even walk to 2 restaurants, which are frequented by locals and turned out to be excellent places for seafood. You can do neither at Blue Water. Unless, you are an Olympic byciclist.... :-) ... My point is, staying at Blue Water, you either stay put or you drive around in your car. If you find nothing wrong with that, that is ok, too. After all, it is your life not mine. About Boyd's, new subject and post. Cheers, Ronald

JIM CHALOUPKA
04-17-2012, 07:59 AM
I thought this post was about Blue Water?

JIM

Jamie Bradford
04-17-2012, 08:29 PM
As Paul Harvey would say " Here is the rest of the story"

Debbie & I loved this place , we stayed 2 nights. This place has been on our bucket list since the day we bought the bus.

We met some people and realized there was agent 1 and agent 2 to rent from.... Needless to say we did not do as well as we could have.

Anyway, great place but the " homework " phrase rings loudly hear. I will be happy to share the nitty gritty with anyone who is interested.

Jamie

CAPT MOGUL & Sandy
04-17-2012, 09:56 PM
Ed & I certainly enjoyed our visit with Jamie & Debbie here in the Keys. Come again. Now,,,,,if we can just get OUT of the Keys soon we will be happy!!!
Sandy

Bill1170
05-27-2012, 01:02 PM
Can you Key West travelers tell me how the roads are going out.
Bill Cleverdon

Jamie Bradford
05-27-2012, 02:09 PM
Hi Bill,

The roads were fine. We went south on a Saturday & came back north on a Monday - no issues at all.

Jamie

Bill1170
05-27-2012, 04:58 PM
Thanks Jamie, I see yall liked Blue Water park, how about others on the way down, maybe in Marathon or closer to Key West.

CAPT MOGUL & Sandy
05-27-2012, 06:28 PM
Bill, the only other RV park closer to Key West is called BOYD'S Campground. BUT, it is very tight maneuvering. There is a difference in the price though compared to BlueWater Key. BlueWater Key RV park is approx. $150 a night. There is Jolly Roger Campground in upper Keys. There is also one that is just south of the 7 mile bridge. Sorry, can't remember the name of it. Will search for it. It is a big park and average.
Leaving out of Key West on a Sunday evening is not so desirable. Or especially don't leave on a Holiday evening. Heading in to Key West is kind of busy on Friday afternoon.
As for the condition of the road.... no problem! Most of US 1 is 45 mile a hour.
Sandy

Gil_J
05-27-2012, 08:04 PM
The marina in Marathon recently opened a small nice campground. There may be a half dozen sites or so. Most look directly over the water with dock space for an additional fee. There's a new pool next door and just past that a decent bar and restaurant. You can walk to a couple other dining spots and bicycle the upper side of the old 7 mile bridge. For us military retires or DHS employees you can stay cheap at the no thrills sites at Coast Guard station Marathon or Navy Key West.

HarborBus
05-28-2012, 08:38 AM
OK Jamie, I'm interesed it getting the nitty gritty on agent 1 and agent 2, if you have time PM me. Thanks

CAPT MOGUL & Sandy
05-28-2012, 08:49 AM
Are there any of our POG members here that own a lot a BlueWater Key and interested in renting a week or few days to a POG member? I know there has been POG owners in the past?
When we return home to Key West, I will go up to the Park and ask about prices right now. God Willing We make it home soon!!
Sandy

Bill1170
05-28-2012, 08:45 PM
Thanks for all the info, we will try to go in late June or after July the 4th. The rate quoted from Blue water was $96 for waterfront this time of year.
Bill

Gary Carmichael
05-29-2012, 08:56 PM
We will probably go back in January 2013 have reservations for then, There is a great little place to eat good food and selection, coming out of the campground turn right go across bridge it is on the right at foot of the bridge 1/2 mile walk. Gary

CAPT MOGUL & Sandy
05-30-2012, 03:23 PM
The name of that great little restaurant is "KAYA" on Saddlebunch Key which is also called Baypoint. They do have great food and good atmosphere. Happy Hour bar also.
Sandy

CAPT MOGUL & Sandy
06-03-2012, 09:48 PM
Bill, the RV resort that is just south of the 7 mile bridge is called "Sunshine Key RV'. There is also a KOA on Sugarloaf Key that is decent.
You can't beat the beauty of BlueWater key sites though. Just pricy!!
Sandy