PDA

View Full Version : Mind of its own

jello_jeep
12-01-2006, 05:19 AM
Well, as I left Mira Loma Yesterday after picking up the bus, I got some fuel and was sitting at a stop light with a car in front of me, and all of the sudden I lurched forward and had to give full brake input to keep from hitting the chap ahead of me!
It would do this almost every time I stopped, and would idle itself up to 1000 to 1100 rpm, up and down.
I drove back to Mira Loma, and they told me they thought it was a DDEC thing and called over to Detroit to see if I could get in.
Meanwhile anoter mechanic from the shop came out, opened the bottom compartment below the driver's window to check the fast idle relay, and as soon as he started to unscrew the lid from the box where those things live, it quit doing it.
We pulled the relay and took it over to DD, they put a computer on it and said they had no codes or problems on their side!
So I went back to Mira Loma, got a few spare relays (both 12 and 24) and went happily on my way.
All involved said they had NEVER seen that before. Glad it was an EZ fix and that they figured it out.
So if your bus ever gets a mind of its own in this regard, check that relay!!:p

merle&louise
12-01-2006, 09:22 AM
Warren,

Did they actually change a relay? Or just pull it out and re-install the same one?

That is a scarey situation.

It's amazing how some problems just seem to fix themselves. Glad it was an inexpensive fix.:cool:

jello_jeep
12-01-2006, 10:38 AM
Well, the relays are in a plastice j-box on the bottom of the compartment. It cured itself as soon as he started to take the lid off. Dont know if the relay was buggy, or the wiring loom going into it or what..

Relay pulled and put back, but I got some spare 12 and 24 v relays to get the parts kit started.

After all this, I sure didn't want to dealy our trip, but it was pretty trippy to have it take off on its own!!

MangoMike
12-01-2006, 10:45 AM
Warren,

Glad things worked out ok. Can you post the parts numbers on the relays so we can add a couple to the Ace Bay. And are all those relays pretty much interchangeable or is the high idle one specific.

THanks

Mike

jello_jeep
12-01-2006, 10:01 PM
I asked the chap about the relays, and he said that there were only two types used, a 12 and a 24, they are not specific as to their task, and are interchangable.

The ones they gave me were not Prevost parts, they were over-seas products, so the numbers on them wouldn't do you any good I don't think. But here you go..

12 volt.... tyco 0-1432785-1 12VDC

24V...... Volvo V23134-A56-X397
20374662 24V++0622

I picked up a few as it seemend like a good idea.

I have heard it argued, that some folks like the earlier coaches because its so easy to change relays, as opposed to a completely computerized system, not field repairable.

Just food for thought...