PDA

View Full Version : Brake Air Pressure

Jamie Bradford
03-23-2012, 12:12 PM
I have noticed the past few months that as the coach sits for a few days the brake pressure is 0 when I start the bus. It comes right up to 118-123psi 2-3 minutes after starting and maintains that pressure while traveling.

Is this an issue or just normal for a coach that has a few years on it? I remember reading "horror stories" about chasing down an air leak. Any thought or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Jamie

Xtreme James
03-23-2012, 03:24 PM
Mine takes about 3 days, if I don't turn the aux compressor on.

dreamchasers
03-23-2012, 03:31 PM
Jamie,

This is always an interesting topic. When I purchased my coach, brake air would leak down in a few day, then progressively got worst. After a few months of ownership, within a few hours the brake air was at zero and then it was time to investigate. Their is a specification of allowable brake air leakage, I can not remember the numbers.

However, I did resolve my problems and now my brake air will hold indefinitely. After a few months, I will notice a pound or two drop. The most probable leak source in the connections to the primary and secondary air guages mounted in the dash. The 1/8 " fittings that connect to the 1/8 inch tubing a leak prone after a few years. Checking this problematic area has solved many leakers.

Leaking air systems can be resolved with simple patience.

Good Luck,

Hector

MICHAEL BELL
03-24-2012, 11:49 AM
Your air system is well within limits. As a coach ages they will begin to develope leaks at fittings, valves, lines etc. Hector's problem was more severe. An air system that goes to 0 in a couple of hours needs attention but not several days.