PDA

View Full Version : St. Rosa Sound RV Resort, Navarre, FL

Ronald Hiemann
03-12-2012, 10:22 AM
I was asked to report about this new RV Resort. This will be long and opinionated. This new RV campground opened-up 3 days ago and we arrived here on Sunday afternoon. While I have used its official name in the subject line, I am calling it a campground going forward because I have not located the resort as yet. On a scale of 1-10 this is at this time only a 4-5.

Even though, we benefit from the opening special of book 2 nights and get the 3rd one for free, we should be paying even less.

It is evident when walking around, that this place has opened-up much too soon.
Work is still being done in the campground.

The free WiFi does not exist. I was told it would take another 2-3 weeks before that is in place.

The laundry room facilities are still under construction.

So are the private bathrooms and tiled showers.

Cable TV is supposed to be offering 45 channels but I do seem to be receiving just 15.

The fitness room and clubhouse must still be und construction because I cannot find it.

The campground is immediately adjacent to Route 98. Heavy traffic commences around 06:00 AM and looking out a window, I am looking more or less straight at a CVS Store.

The campground is fenced in nicely but that is all the protection you are getting from the road. Even though, the brochure talks about "24 hours limited gate access", there is no gate. Anybody can enter here at night since there is no security, either.

The absolute worst feature of this campground are its waterfont sites. The layout shows 24 of them along Santa Rosa Sound. The problem with 23 of them is, that they are designated BACK-IN sites! Can you imagine that? You pay a premium rate for waterfront but you have to back-in so that your view is towards the middle row campers and the street.

Whoever designed this campground does obviously not own an RV because he or she would know that our windshield is our picture window.

We had made a reservations for a waterfront site and were assigned to lot 16. Given that there are presently only 6-7 guests in the campground, and after hearing about the back-in requirement during check-in, we protested and were allowed to choose a site.

We selected site 24 which is the ONLY true waterfront site in this campground since you pull in sideways to the sound. Thus, the passenger side enjoys a full view of the sound and the drivers side faces the street, or, if somebody would be occupying lot 25, they would be blocking some of the street noise and views.

When we took a stroll through the campground on Sunday night, we met and talked to somebody who had arrived after us on Sunday. They had wanted a waterfront site, too, but when they heard about the back-in, they went for one of the "Deluxe" sites in the center row and with the park being almost empty, they do have a waterfront view through the windshield.

Being a new campground, everything is more or less brand-new and it shows. That is nice. Landscaping leaves a lot to be desired because you have got only mulch separating you from your next lot neighbor. While the location in Google Earth shows a heavily treed lot, only a few trees are left.

The concrete pads are large. Lot 24 is probably 75+ feet long. All other pads are equally generous. More or less. There are also a couple of pull-thru sites in the "Deluxe" section, being the 2 rows in the center.

For just about any activities you may be planning, you will have to take your car and go somewhere else. Other than the swimming-pool, there is nothing else in this campground.

My personal opinion is, that this is a nice campground for a night or two. While we have booked 4 nights, I would not stay here for this long again. When you pay $85 per night, there is more places to chose from.

I have taken photos of the campground and posted them to my Picasa web album. By default, you will be seeing lots of Olivia but having her in the campground is definitely dressing-up this place ... :-)

Try this link to view my photos.

https://picasaweb.google.com/ronald.hiemann/SantaRosa?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCKaS3ZvfzL_1jQE&feat=directlink

Cheers,
Ronald

Ronald Hiemann
03-12-2012, 10:32 AM
Giving credit to the staff:

I want to add that the staff in the front office and on the grounds are very nice people and they are trying hard to work with what they have. While my review is very critical, it is all about the campground.*

BoaterAl
03-12-2012, 01:09 PM
Interesting post Ron, with lots of detail. Been in that area a few times my memory reminds me of wind, steady for days from the gulf. What ever reason for back in pads in the gulf sites has to be interesting.

I think the owners are in for a surprise trying to get extra dollars for that location. From the pictures there is nothing to break the wind on the front row, except the bus.

Lots of traveling to many parks we find interesting set ups and the first thing to mind is ...who designed this, certainly not a RV'er.

Pete
03-12-2012, 05:39 PM
Al, If you are in that area, try Topsail Hill. (ask to be in the 100 section) It is a state of Florida park, but was previously a privately owned park. It is not on the beach, but has a shuttle to the beach, which is all on the state property. It is on Hwy 30A, just off of 98. It is one of our favorite parks.

BoaterAl
03-12-2012, 09:05 PM
Hi Pete,
Right now I'am enjoying Bella Terra and have just returned from Lu-Lu's beach bar, marina restaurant, owned by Jimmy Buffet's sister. Rain has been on and off most of the day.

Have stayed at Topsail several years ago it's very nice. As the park is owned by the state of FL now, I can never get in. If you call ahead learning the reservation must be made 24 hours in advance. Even if they have open space there are no same day stays. What the state is doing in the premium RV resort business is beyond me.

Headed to Heritage on Thursday.

Pete
03-12-2012, 10:17 PM
Bella Terra is a great place. The entire staff is GREAT!....Tell Courtney hello for us.

BoaterAl
03-12-2012, 11:27 PM
Yes, it is Pete. Nice people work here and take very good care of this resort.

I'll pass on the hello.

michaeldterry
03-13-2012, 03:00 PM
Yes, it is Pete. Nice people work here and take very good care of this resort.

I'll pass on the hello.

Ya gotta love it - Courtney Fox called to let me know that a POG member had checked in at Bella Terra! They are really disappointed to not be hosting Oysterfest this year!

charlesebrownjr
03-13-2012, 11:26 PM
Hey Michael, As I knew would happen, Heritage filled up early and I think with less coaches than attended your Oyster Fest last year. I won't come this year but if it gets moved back to Bella Terra as I think it should be, count me in. Its only about 4 hrs. from home and I like coming there. Tell the staff hello from me as well. Thanks for putting on a great mini rally last year.

michaeldterry
03-14-2012, 09:44 AM
Hey Michael, As I knew would happen, Heritage filled up early and I think with less coaches than attended your Oyster Fest last year. I won't come this year but if it gets moved back to Bella Terra as I think it should be, count me in. Its only about 4 hrs. from home and I like coming there. Tell the staff hello from me as well. Thanks for putting on a great mini rally last year.

Charles - thanks for the kind comments! Oysterfest 2011 was great fun to coordinate and attend. Bella Terra would love to have us back, so we'll see if there's any interest next year and maybe do it again.

phorner
03-14-2012, 06:35 PM
Although there are no "real" water front lots, there ARE lots with lake water views through the windshield of your pull-in lot at the Outdoor Resorts at Saint Lucie West.

This is truly a resort and is well worth your visit if your travel plans take you along the east coast of Florida.