PDA

View Full Version : Choosing a power source

gmcbuffalo
03-05-2012, 10:39 PM
​In July I added an 12 volt Aux Compressor to my coach because I had not chase down all my air leaks and I wanted to keep my tags from dumping when the pressure got low. In Jan 12 (I got this right this time from see my old battery post) I replaced a set of 6 year old coach batteries that had been holding up fine for years. Last night getting ready to go for dinner I noticed the coach batteries at 21.8 volts. I turned the key to see if it would start, just click, click, click. "What's going on I just replaced them for the same symptom. I turned off the 24 and 12 volts switches engine compartment hoping in the morning I would have enough volts to start in the morning, no luck on this. At six in the morning I started thinking I didn't hear the ​"fog horn" noise I posted about. So I got up and turned on the Webasto SMX controls for heat, 15 minutes later I noticed I didn't hear the Webasto making any noises either. Then Bingo my Friend it hit me that the Aux compressor and Webasto are powered from the coach batteries and draining my coach batteries. The Webasto was not a big problem but the Aux Compressor going off three times a day was hard on the batteries. I will differently rewire the Aux compressor to the house batteries since it is only needed while parked.

garyde
03-05-2012, 10:48 PM
Hi Greg. Also the webasto will not work when you have low voltage conditions. My aux a/c runs off the 120 volt inverters.
If your aux. is really pulling down your chasis batteries in one evening, definately put it on your house batteries. But keep
in mind when dry camping, you may have the same issues with yur house batteries.

HarborBus
03-06-2012, 12:17 AM
Greg, When it rains it pours. Everything was fine with you in Tucson now you seem to have more that your share of problems.

gmcbuffalo
03-06-2012, 12:37 AM
Yes, I know I thought I had this coach figured out or at least working well. You got to drive them to ready get to know them.