PDA

View Full Version : Light switches

Nolan
03-02-2012, 12:19 PM
I have a 2003 Country Coach XLII. The coach has light switches that turn green, yellow, sometimes red, and sometimes black ( broken). Before I completely break all of them, does anyone have any suggestions about fixing or replacing the switches?

JIM KELLER
03-02-2012, 01:25 PM
Nolan, This is an easy problem to fix. Member Miles Circo has the parts you need in stock. The switch part is the base and the insert is the bulb. When replacing the bulb only use a small brush to clean the inside of the switch first. Hopefully he will see this Thread and join in. He is a busy man and getting ready for a trip so it might be a few days.

Nolan
03-02-2012, 09:22 PM
Jim
Thanks for the info. I pulled the switch out today, and it helped to understand how it works. Appreciate your help. Nolan

Paul Chelew
07-31-2012, 10:32 AM
Nolan:
Did you get any info re replacing switches; did you contact Miles Circo? I;m new to POG, just read your post, have tried a few years ago to have CC Service (Junction City) fix various lighted switches that change colors randomly when pressed. I was told they all (that type of switch) do that and there is no fix. Any ideas?

Paul Chelew

Gil_J
07-31-2012, 01:00 PM
I'm thinking about replacing some of the CC switches. There are many dash functions that don't need to be on this kind of multi-switch system. What I don't like about the dash switches is that they are almost useless unless the backlight is turned on. Is the cruise control turned on, is the Jake on, is the Jake on High or Low; these are some of things that you can tell without the backlights turned on.

Reagan Sirmons
07-31-2012, 01:23 PM
As I understand the issue, one of the the basic reasons the lights change colors is because the contacts become dusty. The process involved is one that removes the parts and blows off the contacts. This removes the incompatible elements from the swith and they should be the correct color again. Simply because they are a different color does not mean they are not working. I admit it is somewhat disconcerting but none of mine have failed.
Pres

charlesebrownjr
07-31-2012, 02:44 PM
Miles can be a big help to you. The switches (Sun Mullion switches) are LED and have a green, and yellow or amber led in them when the switch is on it should turn green when off amber when contacts are dirty it will be red. You can not replace these switches because they are soldered to the circuit board. Usually, replacing the element fixes most problems. Yes you do have to turn on the light switch at each respective panel or turn on the head lights. To replace the LED, grab the cover of each switch with your fingers and pull straight up. the cover with the writing and the led will come out. You then snap the led, the little white piece, out of the cover. Be careful not to lose the little piece of paper that is in the cover of the switch. When replacing the cover and led, observe the orientation of the three little holes in the bottom of the white led. Replacing the led's usually cures the problem of the red color. Some times just pulling the switch out and putting it back in will cure the red color. It is possible to actually replace the housing on the card the switches are soldered to but take a person with electronic experience to dis-assemble the cards. Be very careful about using any kind of electrical contact cleaned on these swithces as some cleaners will damage the cards.

Any other help you may need you can get from Nick Hessler at (514) 954-2452. Nick is a former Country Coach electrical engineer and also he does this for a living so the may be a charge for his service. He has been in Nacogdoches, TX. where he has been working on coaches but if he has gone home he lives in Oregon.

Nolan
08-01-2012, 06:44 PM
Paul
I never contacted Miles Circo, but several members told me that he may have the parts we need, and that he is very agreeable to assisting if he can. I am still having issues with my switches, and I am going to have to do something one of these days. They change colors, go black etc. I was told that once you learn how to fix these switches ( they get debris and dirt in the switch), a simple cleaning may work.

let me know if you find out any solutions.

Nolan

merle&louise
08-02-2012, 09:07 AM
Nolon,

I wonder if a computer vacuum cleaner would help in the cleaning of these switches? They can be purchased at Best Buy type compter stores. They are used to remove the dust from the fan area of desk top computer and other sensative areas.

Just a thought!