PDA

View Full Version : Running Lights Out....

JamesJ
11-28-2006, 06:56 PM
For some reason my running lights are not working, when you flip the switch you can hear the relay switch on and the dash lights turn on but the lights on the outside of the bus do not come on. If I turn the headlights switch on they will light up.
Is there a fuse for the running lights?

Can you believe this is what we call fun...

Jerry Winchester
11-28-2006, 07:38 PM
JJ,

Running Lights? Like side or top marker lights or just your daytime headlights? Our headlights come on when you put the transmission in gear. Or rather they did. I removed the relay, so no more of that nonsense.

JamesJ
11-28-2006, 08:05 PM
Man not only do I have to learn how everything on this bus works I also have to learn a new lingo.

What I was refering to are the yellow lights that run down the side of the bus and the ones on the top and the red lights on the back.

Jon Wehrenberg
11-28-2006, 08:31 PM
James,

Your clearance lights (side marker or running) typically are on the same circuit at the dash lights. On the end of the turn signal stalk the button flashes them (courtesy lights to thank cars or trucks that flash their headlights to let you know you can pull back in your lane after a pass) and they are powered through a relay in the drivers outside electric compartment.

They are typically independent of the headlights because another name for them is parking lights. Since Ray Davis has helped educate us on how Country integrated their systems with the Prevost shell perhaps he can chime in, but your clearance/side marker/running/parking lights should turn on with the dash lights, but...even with the parking light switch turned off, they should come on with the headlights. Does that make sense. Parking light switch on: parking lights on. Parking light switch off: parking lights off unless the headlights are on.

Jerry Winchester
11-28-2006, 10:07 PM
Yep it's tough to learn the lingo. It's even tougher to get whacked for it. But that's another story.

Jon is correct that the marker lights are actually "parking lights" when the headlights are not on. And as such, I only use them when "parked" with the engine running. If I deem it necessary to have them on while going down the road, I just turn the headlights on as well. I am sure some of the cab lizards will argue the point with me, but I will send them to Lew.

And Lew can tell you what they were called when they were mounted on dinosaurs. I'm sure the stegosaurus model was lit with LED's.

http://ec3.images-amazon.com/images/P/B000ARW60K.01-A154Z3BZB2CCWS._SS400_SCLZZZZZZZ_V63348917_.jpg

JamesJ
11-28-2006, 11:44 PM
What my problem is when I flip my switch for the running/parking/side-marker (whatever you want to call them) lights all the lights on the dash turn on but the lights on the outside of the coach do not come on. So that tells me that the switch is working, but I guess that the lights are not getting power. If flip the headlight switch the headlight will come on but the running/parking/side-marker still do not come on.

So from Jon's post I see that I need to check the relay.

Jon Wehrenberg
11-29-2006, 07:31 AM
James,

I am shooting from the lip when I say this, so you need to verify it. Start with the obvious things, like the relay, the courtesy light switch on the turn signal, and the parking light switch itself. But since they come on with the headlights I would look for an open portion of the circuit unique to the parking light switch itself.

Come to POG III and ask JDUB nicely for his wiring diagram CD. Or maybe just ask him to send you one (if he is not playing with his lizard).

MangoMike
11-29-2006, 08:50 AM
James,

Contact Prevost parts 800 621-5519 and for $2 they will send you a complete CD directly from Canada.

Mike

truk4u
11-29-2006, 09:03 AM
Jamesj,
I'm confused:confused: Your first post said the markers come on with the headlights and your last post said they do not come on with the headlights. If they don't come on with either the park switch or the headlights, it should be easier to track down. Keep us posted...

PS - Running lights are the extra (fog) lights in front says Truk..:p

JamesJ
11-29-2006, 09:42 AM
The running lights never come on, but the headlights will. Sorry for the confusion.

Jon Wehrenberg
11-29-2006, 12:56 PM
Easy now that that was clarified.

Replace the relay, driver's front electric compartment.

Gary & Peggy Stevens
11-29-2006, 04:38 PM
But if the bus is running, why aren't the lights "running"? Even if the bus is standing still, are the running ligts "running"?:eek:

Sorry No more of this stuff from me. I am still just so happy to be here!:rolleyes:

JamesJ
11-29-2006, 06:35 PM
Well I pressed the ICC or courtesy light button a few times and now they are working. I guess my courtesy light button is going bad something.

Jon Wehrenberg
11-29-2006, 08:19 PM
James,

It's the relay. Trust me. Buy one and keep it handy. you will need it. The courtesy switch served to supply power to the relay coil on and off enough for the relay coil to either move the contacts, or to cause corroded and pitted contacts to make the circuit So now they work. The fact they did not work when the headlights were turned on suggests strongly the relay is failing.

JamesJ
11-29-2006, 11:27 PM
I have on my list of spare parts to get a new relay, I guess I may just buy two. But Napa and AutoZone do not have the part number of the other three relays.

I guess I will just keep looking, or look for it on the www

Jon Wehrenberg
11-30-2006, 07:32 AM
I think it is an octagon base relay (I'm going by memory here) and WW Grainger is a good source.

truk4u
11-30-2006, 08:45 AM
Jamesj,
If it's a Hella Relay, you can go direct to them and they can help you find one. I had an oddball relay number that couldn't be crossed over and they were very helpful.

mike kerley
11-30-2006, 10:13 AM
JamesJ

Our 93 CC had "running lights" mounted in the front bumper called driving lights which only came on when you pushed the switch overhead turning them on and had high beam headlights on (DUH). Controlled through a relay in electrical panel, drivers side top. I rewired ours to come on with the overhead switch, independent of the headlights. Powered when the ignition is on.

Marker lights come on with headlamps or parking light switch. Also switched through push button on end of turn signal arm.

Mike K

JamesJ
11-30-2006, 05:22 PM
Just ordered my CD, no charge for the parts CD or the wiring CD.

Mike, I must be lucky because my running light/fog lights will come on whenever you flip the switch.

Jon Wehrenberg
11-30-2006, 08:44 PM
James, I think that is the classic evolution of the situation. At some point you will flash your lights to a trucker you just passed and your marker/parking/clearance/running lights will not come back on.

You will rapidly and repeatedly operate the switch on the end of the turn signal stalk, and they will finally come back on. Then one day they will not.

That is when you will go to the spare parts you set aside for just such an occasion, replace the relay, and life is good again.

On the very next day after I bought our first coach, 8 hours after I had parked it in our garage the same type relay failed, only it was the horn relay, and if failed "on". It apparently was nature's way of announcing to our entire village we just got a new bus.

JamesJ
12-02-2006, 07:13 PM
Well I found this relay/solenoid but the part number is 70-xxxxxx where mine is 71-xxxxxxx everthing else is the same, what do think?

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/itemDetailsRender.shtml?ItemId=1611601161

JamesJ
12-04-2006, 04:06 PM
Ok, what I have found is that the 70 series are the shorts housing and the 71 series are the long housing. So as long as it fits I should be good to go.