PDA

View Full Version : Double Towing

jonnie
02-11-2012, 09:02 AM
Just wondering if anyone has experience towing a vehicle with a trailer attached. I am leaving Ohio traveling to Pelican Lake on Wednesday. This type of towing is legal in Ohio, Kentucky and Tennesse, but not Georgia or Florida. I don't believe I will have a problem if I don't do anything stupid but I would like some input.

Thanks

John

merle&louise
02-11-2012, 10:33 AM
John,

If you are talking about MH + tow car + boat trailer, I have seen a few on the highways over the years. I agree with you that if you don't do anything stupid you should be o.k.

Will you be traveling alone? If so, it could be a problem. If someone is traveling with you and you are stopped by highway patrol I guess you could just unhook the tow car and have the other person drive the tow car + trailer.

I would try it - Columbus took a chance!

Will Garner
02-11-2012, 10:58 AM
John,

Personally, I would not do it. But then I'm not a big fan of taking that kind of risk on the highway. Check length limits and laws of the States you will be traveling through. That may be what gets you in trouble. Best take a friend with you that can post your bail!

Pete
02-11-2012, 11:26 AM
John, I know in Texas, it is legal as long as you do not exceed 65ft in length. If you belong to FMCA, you might check their publications/website, as they post this type information annually for each state.

Charles Spera
02-11-2012, 11:44 AM
John,
Kind of hard to stay under 65' unless you have very short vehicles behind you. Have seen this arrangement all the way down to Pelican Lake and none of them were on the side of the road talking to the troopers. Should be good to go if you are sane but the idea of unhooking and driving the toad is good to keep in mind if things gets dicey.
See you at Pelican when you arrive.
Golf is on Thursday.

BoaterAl
02-11-2012, 12:43 PM
Here is the national towing information site link;

http://www.towingworld.com/articles/towinglaws.htm

Seabyrd
02-11-2012, 05:48 PM
We do it all the time in Texas and Louisiana and like Tuga and Pete said just play it cool and not over the speed limit.. we are almost 80' with full size suburban and golf cart trailer in tow, we have never had a problem and are always very observant and under the speed limit.. have even been followed a few miles and passed by state troopers on several occasions without a problem. You wouldn't know it was back there as long as you load your trailer properly so it does fishtale behind the vehicle.
Doug Cox (Ledo) may chime in here too, he tows an Avalanche and an ATV on a trailer from Florida to Texas and probably has been many other places too, you could PM him to ask him if he's ever had a problem if he doesn't respond to this.
Good luck !!

jonnie
02-11-2012, 07:31 PM
Thanks to all for the input. We are giving it shot and let the chips fall where they may. Staying under the radar and not speeding.

Thanks again

John

AmeriStar
02-11-2012, 08:57 PM
For the life of me I can not understand the overall length laws. I travel across Wyoming, Utah and Nevada quite often and see the Semi double and triple combinations. Wyoming has a 85' overall length law, Utah has a 65' length law, and Nevada has a 70' max. I find this interesting because quite often you will see the same company's trucks pulling 3 trailers in all three.
I know these are posted, but not sure if the laws are enforced or actually up to date.

Kenneth Brewer
02-12-2012, 12:45 PM
For the life of me I can not understand the overall length laws. I travel across Wyoming, Utah and Nevada quite often and see the Semi double and triple combinations. Wyoming has a 85' overall length law, Utah has a 65' length law, and Nevada has a 70' max. I find this interesting because quite often you will see the same company's trucks pulling 3 trailers in all three.
I know these are posted, but not sure if the laws are enforced or actually up to date.

Interstate rules/regs supersede states'. This particularly evident in the NE, where states such as NJ, MD, don't like or want 102" vehicles, but if they are on federal/ICC routes, they can't enforce the restriction.