PDA

View Full Version : Electric brake controller

JamesJ
11-27-2006, 06:29 PM
What electric brake controllers is everyone using? I have used a Prodigy on a Ford F-350 with great results. Just wondering if anything would be different on Prevost.

Ray Davis
11-27-2006, 06:53 PM
I recently purchased an EvenBrake unit. It worked fine, but I'll admit, it didn't come on all that often, only on pretty hard braking, and that was after I set it to maximum sensitivity. But, that seems from postings I'd read elsewhere preferrable to coming on too often, too hard.

From our recent POG2 rally, I think I'm fair to say that most people did not have supplemental braking on their toads. Note, I say "most", as I'm sure some did.

Jerry Winchester
11-27-2006, 08:20 PM
JamesJ,

It's good to see another Houston guy on the board to help fend off the right and left coasters.

Are you talking brake controller for towing a trailer or for a toad? I have both and any good brake controller that you just plug in and go with should work. My last two pickups had them from the factory (Ford F-350), but we have a good one in the coach.

As for toad brakes, we use the SMI Silent Partner on the H3, but I will tell you that my cell phone causes the system to activate when it is in use, but because of the "G Force" adjustment, the brakes do not come on. It is just annoying to listen to the brake tone when on the phone :confused:

dalej
11-27-2006, 09:41 PM
Yo Jerry, How did it go in the Deep Blue? Location? Dive babe I mean buddy? Any Photos?? Glad you made it back!

JamesJ
11-27-2006, 09:59 PM
Are you talking brake controller for towing a trailer or for a toad?

I am talking about a trailer, I have a enclosed trailer that I will use to go on some trips.

My last two pickups had them from the factory (Ford F-350)
I wish my truck was of that year model.

Jerry Winchester
11-27-2006, 10:07 PM
I have the photos on my computer at work and will post a few tomorrow. Cozumel was okay, but the weather sucked. High winds kept us from diving on Monday and Tuesday (should have kept us out on Sunday, but that is another story). We ended up cave diving on Tuesday (not for the weak hearted) and then hooked it back home on Wednesday.

My dive buddy, Rae, earned her Navy Seal Night Recovery Badge for getting back into the dive boat in the dark in 6' seas. Not pretty. The 1 1/2 hour boat ride in had all the gals blowing chow. Except Rae who ate chips and salsa all the way in just to piss the Alpha chicks off.

Jerry Winchester
11-27-2006, 10:16 PM
JJ,

Brake Controllers

An electric trailer brake controller is a device that supplies power from a vehicle to a trailer's electric brakes. There are two types of electric brake controllers - Time Delay Activated ("solid state") and Inertia Activated ("pendulum style"). Although the controllers' methods are different, both types of controllers are very similar. Both allow the user to adjust output or braking power. Both have a pressure sensitive manual override trigger that can be used to apply the trailer brakes independent of the vehicle brakes. Both have the same wiring configuration.

Time Delay Activated
Solid state controllers are "enabled" by the brake pedal switch and apply a gradual voltage to the trailer's brakes using a Time Delay Circuit.
Advantages : Time Delayed controllers are inexpensive, have a low profile, and can be mounted on any angle (very user friendly).
Disadvantages: When towing (in most applications) with Hazard flashers on, the Digital Display will flash with the Hazard Flashers. If the Brake Control is set aggressively, pulsing may be felt in the trailer brakes. However the Pulse Preventer will isolate the Brake Control from the flashers and eliminate the flash/pulse situation.

Inertia Activated - Proportional
Pendulum Style Controllers are "enabled" by the brake pedal switch and "activated" by a Pendulum Circuit that senses the vehicle's stopping motion and applies a proportional voltage to the trailer's brakes. When properly adjusted the trailer will decelerate at the same speed as the tow vehicle. This increases braking efficiency and reduces brake wear.
Advantages: Pendulum style controllers operate well under adverse braking conditions and have a smooth braking action.
Disadvantages: Most inertia-activated controllers are bulky, more expensive, and must be mounted and calibrated level. The Tekonsha PRODIGY™ and Valley Odyssey™ inertia-activated brake controllers are the exceptions to these disadvantages.

I personally like the time delay ones best. Less hassle installing them and no calibration to jack with.

JamesJ
11-27-2006, 11:26 PM
The Tekonsha PRODIGY™ and Valley Odyssey™ inertia-activated brake controllers are the exceptions to these disadvantages.

Looks like another Prodigy for me!