PDA

View Full Version : Use of Guest Charger while Driving.

LarryB
12-27-2011, 09:51 PM
Up until now I have use a cord to plug in the Guest Charger when stopped. I recently installed an outlet in the engine bay so, no more dragging the cord around, then----[dangerous I know]---- I got to thinking, what will prevent an overcharge or some other problem due to two sources of charge to the chassis batteries if I leave the charger pulled in at all times ?

Thanks for the help!

garyde
12-27-2011, 10:09 PM
My charger plug, I use for my Guest charger only is on when plugged into shore power or when generator is on. I think that is your question.
Also, the Guest goes into float mode when the batterries are fully charged.

JIM KELLER
12-28-2011, 09:26 AM
Larry, My generator has a Guest Charger attached to the battery. When the generator starts the charger recognizes an incoming source of charge from the generators alternator and stops charging. Lights on the charger seem confused but the company said it has diode protection and will be OK.

Hope this helps.

HarborBus
12-28-2011, 09:31 AM
Larry, A few months ago when I finally got around to installing my Guest charger I had the same concern so I called Guest and they didn't really know if having two charging sources would damage the charger but they recommended unpluging the charger before starting the engine. I did however forget to unplug it once and there didn't seem to be any negative effects on the charger but it just makes sense to me to unplug it and not take a chance.

jack14r
12-28-2011, 07:46 PM
I know that the chargers should not hurt batteries but I have found that the guest charger on all the time will actually overcharge the starting batteries and reduce the life of them.

garyde
12-28-2011, 09:00 PM
Here is the Guest 2611A, which I have installed. It has 3 stage, and maintenance so it will not over charge. I've had no problem keeping it permanantly wired.http://www.ebay.com/itm/Guest-2611A-10-Amp-Battery-Charger-2611A-/180782028062#vi-content
Ive had it installed for about two years now.
Scroll down to see the specs on the link.

Suitable for wet, AGM, GEL 10 amp , 12/24 volt charger

LarryB
12-28-2011, 09:58 PM
Gary, that is the charger I have. My concern was the batteries receiving a charge from 2 different sources while driving or, more correctly, while the engine is running. From the responses here, there must not be a problem.

jack14r
12-29-2011, 05:58 AM
It's not a problem and the new coaches have as many as 4 alternators,usually 3 to house batteries and 1 to coach batteries.

Jon Wehrenberg
12-29-2011, 07:27 AM
We often have multiple charging sources. If we have 2 inverters we have two sources. They will not supply a greater charging voltage just because 2 are being used.

What concerns me is why the need to keep a charger on chassis batteries. That suggests a load on the batteries (or failing batteries) when the bus is stored. I can literally allow my coach (both that I have had) to sit for as much as 3 months and the chassis batteries will still be at 24.5 volts or so, more than enough to start the caoch.

I would seek the reason a charger is needed.

HarborBus
12-29-2011, 08:33 AM
What concerns me is why the need to keep a charger on chassis batteries. That suggests a load on the batteries (or failing batteries) when the bus is stored. I can literally allow my coach (both that I have had) to sit for as much as 3 months and the chassis batteries will still be at 24.5 volts or so, more than enough to start the caoch.

I would seek the reason a charger is needed.

Jon, I installed mine because locking and unlocking the doors while in storage or staying in the coach for extended periods will run the batteries down.

Jon Wehrenberg
12-29-2011, 12:29 PM
Elliot.........I am not familiar with how Marathon hsa set up their conversion, but nothing I do inside my coach, lights, radio, etc. has anything to do with the chassis batteries.

If I turn on the coach headlights or light lights in the engine area I use chassis power, but even my bay lights are on the house batteries.

My inverters are always charging my house batteries except when we are driving or dry camping, but I don't have any confidence in any battery charger to protect chassis batteries. Too many stories about cooked batteries so if I do extensive work on the chassis using chassis battery power I turn on the charger for a few hours and then leave it off.