PDA

View Full Version : What to search for for storage?

Sawbonz
12-27-2011, 04:46 PM
I just can't bring myself to put out $100k for a steel storage barn, as much as I would like to have the bus parked at the house. This leads me to storage. What search terms should I use to see what is around me for indoor RV storage? I keep getting the "box with a lock" places.:confused:

garyde
12-27-2011, 10:25 PM
Hi Karl. It depends on what you want to spend really. A storage facility with a roof canopy only, wharehouse with other RV's, boats, cars, etc,
A shared hanger, a private space. Heated, A/C, or none. Electrical hook up. Dump and wash down facilities. Rodent proof.
In a shared facility, verify they have proper insurance, fire safety, 24/7 monitoring and security.

Mark3101
12-27-2011, 10:54 PM
I just can't bring myself to put out $100k for a steel storage barn, as much as I would like to have the bus parked at the house. This leads me to storage. What search terms should I use to see what is around me for indoor RV storage? I keep getting the "box with a lock" places.:confused:

We just did a garage at home for ours last fall (2010) and having the bus at home is really great. I did a 30 x 60, 2x6 walls, 16' eave height, 14x14 extra insulated door, hip roof and two 75000btu Hot Dawg heaters on a 6" insulated slab with seamless steel siding for around $80k. That may still be more than you want to spend, but to me it is worth every penny. I can walk out anytime to check on the bus, and having it here while getting ready for a trip sure saves a lot of time and hassles.

BoaterAl
12-27-2011, 10:55 PM
Karl, have you talked to Ken Robertson with the Coach Worx group ? Most of my leads on coach tenants come from word of mouth. As frustrating as it may sound locating indoor storage will take phone calls. Somebody knows somebody.
Another idea...scary isn't it. The sales guys at Liberty might know of a lead on your side of FL.
Best regards,
AL

LNDYCHT
12-28-2011, 06:53 AM
To find storage I simply typed "indoor RV storage Florida" in google. That is where I found last winter and this winters storage.
Last year I stored the coach at "Big Toy Storage" outside of Tampa Fl, Rick who runs it is a great guy. It is covered storage with no door on the building and is open to your neighbor. They store RVs and boats only.
This year I am on the other coast at "Indoor RV & Boat Storage" in Malabar Fl. Kenny has individual units that you lock your self. This place is great and the units are as clean as the inside of my coach.

Gary Carmichael
12-28-2011, 07:00 AM
I built my barn 6 years ago, sort of a pole barn but not poles used 6x6 treated timbers, 20x50 wish it were larger. I used sissor trusses T1-11 siding stripped with 2" planks to make it look like board and batten. grey enamel 25yr roof stained outside with Woodguard, 6" finished concrete roll up door 4" styrofoam insulation. The barn is heated with water and sewer inside and out. put fake barn doors on the side. I can put my slides out inside but if were doing it over would go 30x60 Total cost with me doing the work 35,000 I also have 50amp in and outside for company. That said I live in the mtns on the Blue ridge parkway and wanted a rustic "look". If any poggers are ever in the area your welcome! milepost 163. neighbors are bears and deer.

Sawbonz
12-28-2011, 07:22 AM
Thanks all!

My problems in building start with the house being built smack-dab in the middle of the 30 acre square that is our property. This is closely followed by the large number of very beautiful grandfather oaks that are spread around the house, making a path to the perimeter difficult. One side of the house has a 4.5 foot slope to the end of where a barn would go, creating a huge fill dirt cost. The other side has little slope, but a longer run that will cost more to pave.

The first quote for a 30 x 60 was $70k, but their details were sketchy and I can see them trying to cheat me. The next was $77k BEFORE they figure out what site prep costs. That bid doesn't even mention the electric (which was $16k of the first bid).

Overall, the $300 a month to park 45 minutes away that I found yesterday is a start, IF they can get me enough power. The guy answering the phone swears 10 amps is enough and is annoyed that I said I wanted 50 but might be able to make due with 30 in an enclosed space. At those rates it would take me 30 years to break even on construction.

Danss
12-28-2011, 08:05 AM
2 years ago I had 16x52 insulated metal building built for approx $25,000 including slab and 16 foot door. 50 amp service provided for less than $500 . Building was very close to electrical service. I put a 2 ton window unit in and a electric plug in 110 heater for approx $400 which does okay in our climate (So. Ms)

Danss
12-28-2011, 08:13 AM
Sorry, it is 14 feet wide.

JIM KELLER
12-28-2011, 09:47 AM
Karl, You are in Florida. All you need is a roof and a gravel pad. All those members up North would give anything to walk out to their Bus in Winter and tinker with it right at their house. Keep the leaves and acorns off the roof and you are good to go. Although we have a Bus Garage we put three campsites in with 50 amp hook ups for 20K. We are probably close to you if you want to see if any of our ideas would work for you.

tommybahama96
12-28-2011, 11:51 AM
Craigslist has a category "parking / storage" that frequently lists warehouses and garages suitable for buses.

The best Craigslist aggregator, IMHO, is Craiggers.com. Right now, when I enter "Prevost" in the search box and choose "RV" from the category list, I get 153 listings all over the country.

Likewise, when I enter "RV" in the search box and choose "parking / storage" from the category list, I get 3,800 listings. You can filter by number of features, like location, to reduce the listings.

Only prolem is, Craiggers only works with Firefox, Chrome, and Safari.

Sawbonz
12-28-2011, 09:51 PM
Danss, ,that is what I was thinking it would be. Even doubling the size to 20 x 60 they seem to have quadrupled the price. And the one company quoted $16k for the 50 amp, which is about 50 feet from the garage. Yes, it would need a new panel, but still....

Sawbonz
12-28-2011, 09:52 PM
Karl, You are in Florida. All you need is a roof and a gravel pad. All those members up North would give anything to walk out to their Bus in Winter and tinker with it right at their house. Keep the leaves and acorns off the roof and you are good to go. Although we have a Bus Garage we put three campsites in with 50 amp hook ups for 20K. We are probably close to you if you want to see if any of our ideas would work for you.

You think? I hate to be outdone by the Joneses (or Wehrenbergs). They all say it needs to be closed in and 6 inches of concrete.

I'd love to stop by some time. Perhaps you can PM your address and contact info?

Sawbonz
12-28-2011, 09:53 PM
Only prolem is, Craiggers only works with Firefox, Chrome, and Safari.

What else is there??? ;)

JIM CHALOUPKA
12-29-2011, 10:13 AM
Your electric is probably hi $$$ because when being in the center of 30 ac you are 568 feet to the edge of the property.

Just sayin, JIM

Jon Wehrenberg
12-29-2011, 12:50 PM
There is only 2 things a coach needs for storage. An enclosed building and 20 amp electric to keep power to the inverters.

From that point you can add features based on what you want or need. A heavy floor allows you to jack up the coach or support the chassis. More power allows you to run AC units or heat the coach. Water, sewer, and compressed air just add to the list. Having heavy insulation minimizes temperature swings, which in FL may not be a factor.

If you want to go wild and crazy add a pit, tool and parts storage, lots of lighting and loud music.

The ultimate is all of the above with a Liberty coach.

BoaterAl
12-29-2011, 01:03 PM
Marathons, prefer a quiet storage and rest very peacefully with mode lighting and elevator music.

rfoster
12-29-2011, 09:16 PM
It's the anaconda size poop tube that Liberty has that raises the cost!

garyde
12-29-2011, 11:15 PM
Danss, ,that is what I was thinking it would be. Even doubling the size to 20 x 60 they seem to have quadrupled the price. And the one company quoted $16k for the 50 amp, which is about 50 feet from the garage. Yes, it would need a new panel, but still....

If you wanted 50 amp power , it is approx. $ 3.00 per foot for the PVC conduit and 4-#6 thhn copper wire. Breaker, misc. j boxes and conduit would run another $200.00 or so. Trenching and backfill 10.00 per foot approx.

Now , if there are obstructions, sidewalks, cement driveways, etc. this would add more $$.

The best way to determine accurate costs would b e to break the bid into two or three sub -sections.
Also, get three bids.

Gary Carmichael
12-30-2011, 05:52 AM
Gary is right on with getting three bids depending on what part of the country you are in you might save some big bucks with the economy in the pits. Contractors are hungry and bids are cheap! Course if you do the work your self you save big!, that is if you do not have to rent a lot of equipment. I just happen to have use of backhoes and dozers etc from the company I used to own.