PDA

View Full Version : Used 12volt Delco Remy 50DN Alternator

BrianE
12-18-2011, 10:46 AM
For you do-it -yourselfers, I have a much used Delco Remy 12volt 300amp 50DN Alternator for sale. It is listed with pics on E-bay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/230718405200?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649.

Call, PM, or e-mail me if even a little-bit interested. 360 921 4476.

Jon Wehrenberg
12-18-2011, 11:05 AM
For those of you with 50DN alternators Brian is making a good offer here. Freight may be a killer, but if you can work around that you have a drop in replacement, or you have a core that you can rebuild with kits that are available or have your local alternator shop rebuild it. That alternator is heavy and you need to have a way to get it up to its mounting location or you need a helper.

One word of caution.........make sure you know your need is for 12 volt output. The 50DN is a 12 or 24 volt alternator.

Another word of caution........This is for the Series 60 engines, and although the 8V92 uses a 50DN that case is for mounting on the rear of the engine and is not interchangeable with this one.

joelselman
12-18-2011, 01:41 PM
Brian; I assume you're sure it's a 12 volt; I can't read the voltage in the photo. By the way, did you replace with like kind or make a modification...I'm considering going the the air cooled 50DN conversion.

Jon Wehrenberg
12-18-2011, 01:53 PM
I looked at the current way Prevost has replaced the 50 DN. They use 2 145 amp Bosch which have a relatively high voltage output. I think they put out around 29 volts so a means of dropping that to what is acceptable for the batteries has to be added to the circuit.

What stops me from considering using the two much smaller, lighter alternators is not only the cost of the revised mounting parts, but what we learned when training at Prevost. If one fails there is the second to perform until you can access service, but Prevost makes a very strong argument for replacing them in pairs. As currently equipped I am OK without the redundancy because I can start the generator and the inverters take care of the house and I have a converter installed by Liberty to keep the chassis batteries charged. I cannot run the OTR, but with the generator running I can run Cruise Airs. Hence a 50 DN is likely to be in my future for a long time.

All new Prevost coaches have at least 2 of the alternators and I saw photos of a conversion that had 4, apparently two for the chassis and two for the house

joelselman
12-18-2011, 02:05 PM
I, too, considered the Bosch conversion but decided against it at this time for the same reasons: over $4000 in parts to convert and excessive voltage for the house agm's.

The cost of the air cooled 50DN is approximately $1400-1500 exchange for the alternator. I'd love to hear from someone who has actually used them. My guess is the rebuilder could probably give me a customer (probably bus line) for a reference.