PDA

View Full Version : Component Life

Jon Wehrenberg
11-25-2006, 07:23 PM
The Prevost manuals list maintenance intervals for things like oil changes, coolant changes, and chassis lubrication.

The manuals for components manufactured by others lists their maintenance or replacement intervals, such as the one year or 100,000 miles life of brake chambers. Perhaps it is coincidence, but I spoke to two owners this weekend who have coaches the same age as mine (a 96 chassis, registered as a 97) and they have air bag leaks.

I know from experience with my old coach that at about 10 years I was dealing with a lot of problems from the Norgrens, I also had air bag issues and replaced them, my radiator needed to be replaced (the salt on the roads in western NY ate up the fins), and my shocks were leaking.

Old wives tales, or maybe accumulated experience suggests tires are to be replaced at six years if they haven't been worn out by then, and batteries need to be replaced at 5 years.

Is there anyone out there literate in computer type stuff that can organize what I hope is a lot of input on this thread to develop a lifetime summary for our coaches so a prospective purchaser can evaluate what has to be done to a coach being considered, or an owner can track needed maintenance and replacement schedules?

Orren Zook
11-25-2006, 09:39 PM
Jon,

I don't know if that kind of data could be obtained or if it would be relevant to bus use as a motor coach. The life cycle on tires, suspension and chassis components are based on continuous service of most items, and even full timers are parked somewhere a good part of the time. I'd like to see what a commercial bus lessor or fleet had as data and then try to compare it to the limited use most of our vehicles see. How many time have we aired up one end/side of the coach to level for days or weeks at a time not thinking of the stress we are placing on the bushings and other suspension components. As you stated, the calcium and salt put down for ice control in the northern states wreaks havoc on aluminum, copper and brass that even good maintenance can't stop. Does anyone get out the pressure washer to clean and detail everything behind the stainless and out of normal sight? Wasn't it you that said in a post somewhere on the board that "you can't stop rust".

Jon Wehrenberg
11-26-2006, 07:47 AM
Your reasons are why I would like motorhome owners to contribute. For example, Bendix says 100,000 miles or one year for brake chambers. My first failure was at 10 years, so now my personal replacement interval will be 5 years regardless of miles.

A coach in daily use, such as a charter coach is exercising the valves in the suspension. It is my opinion that is less harmful than having the valves stationary, and the potential for corrosion at the seal where it rests such as in the Norgren valves.

It is my understanding the tire compounds have life extending components that help prevent dry rot, but those are only released as the tire is flexed and exercised. So an issue for us is the lack of use is more damaging that constant use. We might be able to extend tire change intervals if we drive more often. We need some data or knowledge from other owners to learn this.

Your example of the bushings is a good one, and it would be of great benefit to us all if we could find out how many have replaced bushings, how old the coach is, and how was it used. I suspect we negotiate steeper or more uneven surfaces, and have to raise our coaches, and then drive over the surfaces to protect the underside. I'll bet that is very hard on bushings. Does that affect their life?