PDA

View Full Version : New Air Bags and a Surprise!

dreamchasers
11-28-2011, 04:02 PM
I replaced my front air bags recently and took a few pictures of the process. Be sure and notice the surprise I found.

When changing our air bags, you will notice it is difficult to flex these new rubber springs and have them fit back into the position you removed them from. I pulled a vacuum on the air bag to collapse it, I then slid it into position and slowly let air into the air bag. I used a freon vacuum pump to pull a vacuum.

Air bag in position and air applied. This not a hard job. Each air bag cost $141.00.

I also replaced the solenoids associated with the front air bags. This is an image of the five port solenoid mounted in the level low system. Take pictures to assure the fittings are reinstalled in the correct orientation. I use Teflon tape as a thread sealant. It has always worked for me. Be sure to apply correctly. The replacement solenoid is on the bottom of the picture. It is a different Norgren part number, but is an exact replacement. I got my parts from Prevost.

This is the surprise! At times, my front end would take extended time to release air and then at other times, it would drop immediately when the air is dumped. It would act differently on any given two attempts. I was determined to find the cause, so I inspected each air connection. This is the 1/2" tube x 3/8" male fitting installed in the front air restrictor. A small piece of styrofoam was plugging the fitting and at times it was moving inside the restrictor. It was a challenge finding this issue. I wonder if the restrictor assembly was dropped during installation and became plugged. Or was some mechanic not very happy with the coach owner? What do you think?

Another image of the fitting next to the styrofoam plug.

I also replace the front brake chambers and brake hoses. My brake hoses functioned fine, but on closer inspection, the rubber was beginning to crack.

A close up shot of one of the removed air bags. This was an original air bag, dated 1993 production date. A picture is worth a 1000 words. Notice the cracked rubber circling the top. I had waited long enough.

Pete
11-28-2011, 06:56 PM
Good job Hector! Another step up on the Texas Leak Free Zone! I still need to get time for you to help me find my Aux leak. Too many holidays this time of the year.

JIM CHALOUPKA
11-28-2011, 09:02 PM
Nice job Hector,with very good pictorial!

I think the blockage is a piece of undercarriage foam from an accidental bump.

JIM :)

rahangman
11-28-2011, 09:33 PM
Hector, in summer of 2009 we replace our "Original Air Bag" in S Chicago under the shade tree, they were also the original bags from 1990 !!!! What a difference it has made and also recently changed my air dryer for 2nd year in a row, much better air situation....as always preventative as well as scheduled maintenance.

dreamchasers
11-29-2011, 04:34 PM
I received this picture from a POG member of the inside of an air bag. He cut one open to see what was inside! Indeed we do have curious souls among us. Now why didn't I think of this?

He stated that his air bags looked like new on the inside. He cut the top off on one of his air bags with a 1996 date code.

Hector

Jim Skiff
11-29-2011, 04:46 PM
Hector,

Great post! With close up images. if you haven't seen Hector's presentation on the suspension system it is top knotch!

phorner
11-29-2011, 05:35 PM
Great post, Hector...

Thanks for the top-notch pix!!

JIM KELLER
11-30-2011, 07:59 AM
Anyone else here old enough to remember when you took your car in for a grease job and they sprayed the sway bar bushings, shock absorber bushings, etc with rubber lubricant ?

JIM CHALOUPKA
11-30-2011, 09:30 AM
Anyone else here old enough to remember when you took your car in for a grease job and they sprayed the sway bar bushings, shock absorber bushings, etc with rubber lubricant ?

I remember. It was called, "rubber lube". :cool:

JIM :rolleyes:

Denny
11-30-2011, 10:23 AM
I remember it from growing up in my Dad's Gulf service station, with emphasis on service. Back then we would pump the fuel, wash the windshield, check the oil and other items under the hood and check the air pressure in the tires if requested.

michaeldterry
11-30-2011, 10:29 AM

I also remember when I would pull up to the pumps on my first motorcycle at age 14 and fill it up for 26 cents! Fast forward a few years - yesterday I was thrilled to fill up my GL450 SUV for only $78.00! ACK!

Pete
11-30-2011, 08:47 PM
I recently restored an old 40's & 50's Mobil gasoline pump...the price per gallon was set at .26c per gallon. I also remember when the station owner appreciated your business, and would give little perks like dishes ect. when you used his station. Washed windshields,
checked your oil, vacuum your car floor, checked air pressure in your tires.
I also remember when the minimum wage was $1.65 per hour. I also remember when I was a young guy!

merle&louise
11-30-2011, 09:19 PM
Pete,

I also remember those days. It's difficult for me to comprehend that I am an old guy! I'll be 65 in June 2012.

rahangman
11-30-2011, 09:31 PM
Same here, Tuga, June 5 to be exact

rfoster
11-30-2011, 09:44 PM
Man that's old!

phorner
12-01-2011, 07:25 AM

I remember...... must be a childhood memory...:cool:

Gary Carmichael
12-01-2011, 09:28 AM
You are only as old as you as you act! Big 70 3-7-2012. How old did they say dirt was?

Seabyrd
12-01-2011, 04:02 PM
Hector,

That was indeed an awesome post.

Thanks,
Diane

Kenneth Brewer
12-01-2011, 11:46 PM
Pete,

I also remember those days. It's difficult for me to comprehend that I am an old guy! I'll be 65 in June 2012.

Watch your mouth, sonny.

merle&louise
12-02-2011, 05:39 PM
Ken,

You looked pretty agile when we rode the Segways in Austin. You can't be a day over 45 - 46 tops!

hhoppe
12-05-2011, 12:23 AM
I'm not old yet but our corner gas station had gas pumps with a glass tank on top with numbers representing gallons and a large handle on the side to allow you to hand pump the glass tank above to the exact amount of gas you wanted. Then you used the filler hose to gravity feed the gas into your car. I could put one dollars worth in my Model A Ford and drive to scool all week. I hung out at "The Patch" a hamburger stand next door where I had the pleasure of meeting Geronimo's Grandson.
True Story. Tucson, AZ 1945-1950

mike kerley
12-05-2011, 01:30 PM
Harry, Good story. Makes me feel down right youthful...in 45 I was pushing a toy duck around on a wooden stick..and falling down a lot....gas was what made a funny noise in my diaper.

Sawbonz
12-05-2011, 10:43 PM
Harry,

My dad was born in '45. Just sayin'.

;)

rahangman
12-05-2011, 11:25 PM
In '45, my Dad was beginning to think about his oldest son, me.