PDA

View Full Version : Tires?

dreamchasers
11-23-2011, 03:50 PM
Has anyone in the Houston area purchased Michelin tires under the FMCA discount program? If so, where? And of course, how much will my funds be reduced?

I would like to replace mine before next summer travels.

Hector

Gary Carmichael
11-23-2011, 06:07 PM
Hector, I too would like to know what if any discount is available thru FMCA Thanks Gary

johnklopp
11-23-2011, 10:28 PM
Hector,

I recently got a full set of (8) XZA1 315/80/22.5 Michelins installed at TCI Tire Center in Nashville. www.tirecenters.com

I selected TCI based on the fact that they have tire centers all over the country including a few in Texas.

Total cost out the door was $6145.99. Cost included mounting, balancing, new valve stems, all taxes, old tire disposal etc.

The date code on the tires indicated they were manufactured 10 weeks ago.

The process was a little strange on making payment. I got a written estimate from TCI for $6200 and change. When it got time to pay, TCI took an imprint of my credit card with a charge of $0. I was told that I would get a paid invoice and charge slip from Mitchelin rather than TCI within a few days and it would be less than $6200. As promised the charge showed up by e-mail from Mitchelin and on my card a few days later with all costs broken out. The only firm cost is apparently the tire at $566.04 each. The reduction in cost from the estimate was due to negotiated costs that FMCA has arranged for all dealer variables, mounting, balancing etc.

I think it’s a great program and highly recommend it.

John

Loc
11-24-2011, 08:53 AM
Hector,

If TCI works with FMCA then I would use them. I purchased several bus tires from them in 2008. They are located off the South Loop. They have a large lot across the street from their warehouse where they change the tires. They have a spin balancer in the warehouse. They were the cheapest in Houston, but that was before the FMCA deal.

Loc

merle&louise
11-24-2011, 10:36 AM
Loc,

Did they balance the BACK tires and TAG tires? My tire guy only balances the front tires and I was just wondering why.

I can't use Equal because I have the SmarTire system on the front tires only.

BoaterAl
11-24-2011, 12:26 PM
Tuga,
I'm wondering ...... why he only balances front tires ? Did he give the customer the choice ? It is beyond me why he would not balance rears.

Another way, Prevost balances, driveshafts, axles, brake drums, rotors, rims and nearly everything turning. Look for someone with state of art truck tire balance equipment "force balance" latest and greatest shop balancer will cost around $20,000. Is it worth the money ? Ask the shops that have it, pretty much eliminates come backs on truck tire balance issues.
Trying to get the sweet spot on tires and wheels this equipment will tell the operator if the tire needs to be rotated on the rim. Doing this requires less weight to bring the tire/rim combination into the best position.
I'll buy the BBQ if you do not notice a difference. "Did I say that"

pwf252
11-24-2011, 01:30 PM
Hector,
I bought a couple Michelin 365's for the steer axle on my bus last summer from TCI here in Dallas and although I don't remember the cost at the moment I do recall them being quite abit less expensive then any other quotes I could get.

Denny
11-24-2011, 08:28 PM
Tuga
I have the SmarTire system and use Equal in all of my tires. It takes a special valve core to make the system work. I have used this setup on two plastic coaches and two buses and have not had any problems at all.

Will Garner
11-25-2011, 10:50 AM
So Denny, give us the details on the "special valve core." Part number, source of supply.

Denny
11-25-2011, 09:46 PM
Will,
Can't give much info on the valve core as to part number but when I bought tires at Elite Coach in Ephrata, PA they installed a special valve core to be used with Equal. I think it may have a double seal to prevent any of the Egual from keeping the valve from sealing. The valve stem has nothing to do with the SmarTire system. After rereading my post, I should have been a little more clear. I have used Equal and the SmarTire system since 2000 and have not had any problems.

Gary Carmichael
11-26-2011, 05:14 PM
Ok, I am going to ask, What is equal?

Pete
11-26-2011, 05:40 PM
Gary, Equal is used instead of balancing your tires. It is a "bag" of granules that is put in your tires as they are being mounted. The "bag" releases the granules as the tire rotates and balances your tire without weights. It is sensitive to moisture, so you should be very careful to use air that is as free of moisture as possible. You should also install valves with "strainers" in them to keep the granules from getting into your air valves and allowing air to escape.
Some folks swear by Equal...some swear at Equal. I have personally used it for years with great results, and recommend its use.