PDA

View Full Version : Tow bars & baseplates?

Kenneth Brewer
11-19-2011, 02:46 PM
Anyone with knowledge/experience of the differences between Blue Ox and Roadmaster tow bars, baseplates, and ancillary equipment care to comment on which they prefer and why? We have a '98 Cherokee. Thanks.

Will Garner
11-19-2011, 03:26 PM
Ken,

I've only had Blue Ox so a comparison comment is not possible. I will say that I have only had one problem which Blue Ox was only too happy to adjust. Seems like one of the tow bar arms self distructed (unscrewed - someone forgot to drill the arm and install roll pin) as I was exiting I-485 outside Charlotte NC. When I looked in the rear view some fool in a pick up truck was trying to pass the bus. Whoops, no fooling that was half of the front of my own pick up truck I was seeing in the rear view. I was able to get stopped in an unused developers right turn lane without damage to either the bus or the truck. Whew, took a deep breath on that note and then got the tools out to disassemble the knuckles at the base plate since the arms were shot. I had been on the way to Tom Johnson's RV for repair work on my toad taillights. They arranged with Blue Ox for a new, improved tow hitch at no cost, provided I gave them the one that failed. Since no one was hurt and nothing was damaged, I agreed.

I tow a 2003 Dodge 2500 Ram 4x4 which weighs in at 5,800 pounds. The Aventa hitch was rated at 10,000, if it had been assembled correctly. I now have the new Aventa with the ball arrangement for the legs. Works fine.

Mark3101
11-19-2011, 06:01 PM
Only have experience with the Blue Ox brand as well, but love it. Easy to hook up and unhook, seems to be very well built, and base plates are available for many, many vehicles. Not too hard to install either. I use it with my Tahoe, and it tows like a dream. SMI Air Force One for braking also. A nice complete package.

Will Garner
11-19-2011, 07:39 PM
Ken,

I too have the SMI Air Force One supplemental braking and breakaway system. I've had the SMI since April 2007 and it has been rock solid for me. It is very easy to hook up, less than five minutes.

Steve Bennett
11-19-2011, 08:16 PM
We have had experience with about all of them. The disadvantage with the Roadmaster is all of the bracketry that hangs on the front of the car. Blue Ox has some very discrete base plate set ups with detachable tabs, that almost make it impossible to tell the car is rigged for towing. My actual favorite tow bar is the Demco, as it is easier to release and seems to have more travel than the Blue Ox when you are bound up. I think the very best set up is a Demco tow bar with Blue Ox ends. The Demco has a single tab that tends to spread the 2 tabs on the tow car. The blue Ox has a 3 tab arrangement that supports the 2-tabs on the tow vehicle better. We always prefer the heavier duty tow bars with steel or stainless steel construction compared to the lighter weight aluminum bars even with a lighter tow car. We have 2-customers that have experienced failures with aluminum tow bars.

Seabyrd
11-19-2011, 10:12 PM
We love the BlueOx Aventa II... easy to hook up works very well and you don't have the bar across the front of your vehicle after you unhook... we're very happy and the newest BlueOx is even better I hear !!

Gary Carmichael
11-20-2011, 09:05 AM
We use the Roadmaster system 10,000 lb Also use the Air Force one system, No problems just a little graphite once in a while. Funny the 2007 Tahoe does not have all the bars hanging out in the front, but the 2008 trailblazer does, I guess the size of the toad makes the difference?

BoaterAl
11-20-2011, 01:36 PM
Going back Country Coach Affinity, out of business, Saturn toad, out of business, Blue Ox still in business. Sure know how to pick-em.

I like the Blue OX, easy to hook up and go.

jack14r
11-20-2011, 08:40 PM
I have the Roadmaster all terrain 10,000 LB with the M&G brake system and it has worked perfect.

rahangman
11-20-2011, 11:48 PM
I must join Jack14r as to what I have, and yes, it has worked perfect for me.

sswindle14260
11-21-2011, 09:43 AM
I now use the heavier steel tow bar from BlueOx towing a Yukon or Ford Pickup. I started out with an aluminum BlueOx towbar, towing a Saturn. Had a failure right before I entered I-65 in Mobile, Al. Luckily I was not going fast and got it under control without any damage. BlueOx was great on their service. They wanted the tow bar back for inspection and gave me a new steel towbar with all new accessories as a replacement. Had good luck with the steel towbar over the years pulling heavier vehicles.

michaeldterry
11-21-2011, 10:15 AM
We use the Blue Ox Aventa dragging a custom 2005 PT Cruiser and absolutely LOVE it! No muss - no fuss - effortless hook-ups and disconnects with a very discreet baseplate configuration that makes it almost impossible to tell that the car is set up for towing unless you look really close. We like that, because as a former custom show car, it's nice that the Blue Ox set up doesn't really detract from the appearance of the front bumper/grill! We also use the "Wireless Tow Lights" and think it's an unbeatable combination with the Blue OX Aventa both aesthetically and operationally! :D

Kenneth Brewer
11-21-2011, 10:56 AM
Thanks for all respondents' comments. The update on this is that I have selected the Demco towbar, which I was totally ignorant of before beginning the research. The reason, without benefit of actual experience at all on my part, is that it has the highest weight rating, is not aluminum, and does not (it says) drop to the ground when disconnected at the toad. Additionally, it appears at the moment that I will use the BlueOx baseplates (still looking into this). I will use the SMI brake system for its technical advantages, keeping in mind the toad is a jeep and the brakes are poor enough without trying to apply them without vacuum boost. This will all be done post holidays, so if anyone wants to yell at me for some reason on my choices, I guess the thread will still be open to change my mind.

Thanks again to everyone for their advice.

Pete
11-21-2011, 11:28 AM
Ken, you might want to consider the M&G brake for simplicity, and cost if you are towing a Jeep. No air tank to fool with, yet it is operated by air from the coach. Hook up is simply the connection of a quick disconnect air line. It will not work if you are going to tow a 2011, or 12 Grand Cherokee.

Alek&Lucia
11-21-2011, 12:05 PM
We use Roadmaster towbar BlackHawk 2 All-terrain 10000 lb

Steve Bennett
11-21-2011, 08:01 PM
Ken, if you go with the Demco bar, and Blue Ox base plates you will need to get 2 of the Blue Ox ends. The Demco tab is not compatible with the Blue Ox tabs. The Blue Ox ends will bolt up to the Demco Bar. I would expect them to be $50.00 or so.

Kevin Erion
11-21-2011, 09:36 PM
Roadmaster and tow a 6500lb Duramax pick up for over 50,000 miles with no issues.

JIM CHALOUPKA
11-21-2011, 10:03 PM
I have the Roadmaster all terrain 10,000 LB with the M&G brake system and it has worked perfect.

JIM

tommybahama96
11-22-2011, 11:48 AM
Ditto jack14r and rahangman. Our Roadmster Sterling works perfectly, and it is one handsome piece of engineering.

Kenneth Brewer
11-22-2011, 01:04 PM
Thanks to all again, and to Steve Bennett for his Demco suggestions. Pete, I looked at M&G; I will contact you via PM.

pwf252
11-22-2011, 01:54 PM
Ken,
I would reiterate Pete's suggestion on the M&G Braking System. I use it on our Wrangler and it works great, easy to hook up and since your in Texas its an easy trip over to Athens to have them install it for you.