PDA

View Full Version : Oil Pan Drain Plug Torque - Series 60

truk4u
11-24-2006, 06:50 PM
Anyone know the torque value for the drain plug, I can't find it?:mad: It takes a 1 1/16 socket.

Jon Wehrenberg
11-24-2006, 08:56 PM
Tom,

Does DD have those specs listed? I doubt if Prevost would have it.

dreadnought
11-24-2006, 09:30 PM
I don't know what the spec is, but go easy. I had to replace the oil pan on one of my Petes with a Series 60 a few years back because some grease monkey at a TA truck stop put it in with an air wrench,.. or a 3' cheater pipe. The pan was fiberglass and we literally broke the plug out of the fiberglass while trying to get the plug out. Best I can remember it was over a thousand bucks:eek:

truk4u
11-24-2006, 09:56 PM
Jon - DD I think, but I can't find it.

Dread - Thanks, this one is steel, but I'll still go easy.

Jon Wehrenberg
11-25-2006, 08:26 AM
Tom,

Yours might be aluminum, and also a good reason to go easy.

jello_jeep
11-25-2006, 10:22 AM
Kevin E was saying someone made an oil drain plug, that had a stopcock valve built into it so you could stem the tide of oil when your drainage container was at its limit.

Anyone have some idea where you get one of those ??

Jon Wehrenberg
11-25-2006, 02:21 PM
That is fairly common in General Aviation aircraft. The drains are called quick drains, and to open the valve you only have to push up. They are normally mounted vertically, whereas the drain plug on our coaches are horizontal.

Conceptually I think that type of drain is a good idea, but anything extending from an oil pan on a bus is potentially going to get knocked off or opened because there are all kinds of trash and debris on our highways like truck tires and extension ladders. We have stopped to help other Prevost owners that have hit or passed over road debris and ended up with such problems as a perforated oil pan. I would recommend against something like that unless so sort of shield can be made to protect it.

jello_jeep
11-25-2006, 06:58 PM
I see your point Jon, thanks..