PDA

View Full Version : Alaska via the trans Canada

pognumber26
01-27-2006, 07:34 AM
WE are planning a 3-4 month trip to Alaska This summer and keep getting ALL kinds of conflicting info ranging from you are CRAZY to take your coach up there/the trans Canada hwy is a piece of crap/to consider going by ferry!!! I am opening an Alaska travel thread and am calling on the brilliant collective POG consciousness to clarify what is involved in everything from pre-planning/routes taken/guides used and all other helpful info...thanks:)

merle&louise
07-04-2007, 11:28 AM
R Francis and anyone else who has been to Alaska,

How was the Alaska trip?

We are considering a 2 month trip into Alaska next summer (2008), and we are a little apprehensive about it. Any info that you could give us would be greatly appreciated.

The roads and the mosquitos are our biggest concern. I have heard that they are not so bad in the later months of summer (August). How were the RV parks?

What was the highlight of the trip?

We live in Houma, LA so it will be a 10,000 mile round trip for us. I was planning to leave in late July; arriving in Alaska in early August. IYO, would this be too late in the season?:confused:

Darl-Wilson
07-04-2007, 04:12 PM
I have been flying up to Anchorage for the last few years and renting a car to drive to the Kenai Peninsula. All of the main roads are great, no potholes or gravel. I stayed at this RV Park http://www.afishunt.com/ 3 years ago. They have large spaces, fishing charters, and a fish cleaning station. The owners, John and Sharon Baker are very nice. I limited out on every trip I took with them. I also used them last year, and drifted the Kasilof with Elad Sharony. Caught one nice King Salmon.
I also flew over to the west side of Cook Inlet for some Sockeye, ("Reds" ) fishing. Limited there too. Highlight of that trip was flying the right seat of a 1951 Beaver on floats. As a 40-year licensed pilot this was a real thrill. This is the company I flew with. http://www.highadventureair.com/ The Bell family owns this company.

I have been all over the Kenai and several other places between there and Anchorage. Homer, Seward, Hope, Kenai, Sterling Soldotna, Cooper Landing, Moose Pass, Whittier, Girdwood, and many more. Too much to write about here. Last year I went up for almost a month and just tramped around by myself. No one in my family shares my love of Alaska.

If you (or any other POGer) wants some information please give me a call. Phone is in my profile. Hope you folks have a nice trip.
Darl

Ray Davis
07-04-2007, 04:24 PM
Hopefully Ken Zittrer (Bluevost) will post. He's made the trip before in a previous RV, and is currently planning a trip next year (although I hear that might be postponed).

Ken, tell us about driving up to Alaska!

Ray

Darl-Wilson
07-04-2007, 04:31 PM
Phone number is NOT in my profile. Email me for the number.

Sorry,

Darl

bluevost
07-04-2007, 07:57 PM
Tuga and Karen,

Ray is correct. I drove my 1967 40ft Eagle bus to Alaska and back in 2004. I left on Memorial Day weekend and was gone for 87 days. It was the best trip of my rv life. And, I would do it again with no hesitation. From June 15th in Dawson Creek, BC until about July 1 in Delta Junction, AK we had two rigs together. My sister and brother-in-law were in their 1965 GM 4106. We had no particular schedule or route. If we saw a place that looked good we might stay a night or two, if the fishing was really good, maybe three nights.
You have to plan you fuel, water, and dump stops, as towns are really far apart, maybe as much as 350 miles or more. The Canadian Provincial parks were our favorite, usually dry camping in very picturesque places. About $10.00 Canadian per night. My Eagle was not all electric as is Bluevost and I could boondock for quite a long time. Also, the Canadian campgrounds are a little more primitive than ours. Many times, less than 30 amps. But the scenery makes up for it!!

As to the road, there are frost heaves and parts under repair all the way. Everything is quite well marked, kilometers ahead so there is plenty of time to slow down. You aren't going to be driving very fast anyway. 300 miles is a long day on the Alaskan Highway (in my opinion anyway). There are plenty of other rvers out there too. You never pass an rv parked on the side of the road without checking to make sure they are ok. And they'll do the same if you're parked on the side. As I said, it's a long way between points on the map. Many of the more developed commercial campgrounds have wash racks to keep the rig and toad looking good.

There is a great book for planning your trip: Traveler's Guide to Alaskan Camping by Mike and Terri Church, Rolling Homes Press. And of course the Mile Post is a must.

There is so much more to talk about, but let's leave it at that for now, shoot me a PM if you have questions.

Ken

merle&louise
07-04-2007, 08:24 PM
Darl, Ray, & Ken,

Thanks for the quick response and information.

I will contact each of you by PM or phone with questions.:D

Thanks again.:cool:

Larry W
07-08-2007, 01:14 AM
Tuga & Helen
Ken has given you some great information about "The Highway" We lived in Fairbanks for 30 years and made 11 trips over the highway from 95 to 2000.
Don't let someone's horror story make you miss seeing the "Great Land"
Would be happy to answer any questions. We are currently touring in Canada in the bus for the next week and have our cell phones turned off. Will be back in the US next Friday night. PM me for our number.

Larry W
2000 Royale Coach

merle&louise
07-08-2007, 05:53 AM
Thanks for the positive input Larry, I think that we are going to try to make the trip next summer.

One quick question, what are frost heaves and how bad are they to drive over. It sounds like they are potholes caused by the water freezing and expanding and finally cracking the asphalt on the road.:(

Does the department of highways stay on top of the repairs?:eek:

Jerry Winchester
07-08-2007, 10:48 AM
Before all you PMer's get to PMing a bunch about this, you might give some thought to having this conversation on a chat board or message forum so a bunch of people could benefit from it.

Oh wait, we are on a message forum and you could do it on this board unless Tuga wants to know where all the strip joints are along the way or the ZitMan is wanted in several Canadian provences and is under witness protection.....

BrianE
07-08-2007, 11:23 AM
Welcome back JDUB. Would guess many of us dig this thread. A future rally in Edmonton, Yellowknife, Dawson or Fairbanks? Maybe a scouting expedition is in order. http://www.prevostownersgroup.com/forum/

Gary & Peggy Stevens
07-08-2007, 11:53 AM
Welcome back JDUB. Would guess many of us dig this thread. A future rally in Edmonton, Yellowknife, Dawson or Fairbanks? Maybe a scouting expedition is in order. http://www.prevostownersgroup.com/forum/

Speaking of the Frozen North, have any of you been watching the New TV Series on Sunday nights about "The Ice Road Truckers"? Man that is something else.

Not that any of us would attempt that type of drive in one of your nice buss's, but just the thought of driving a big rig over 400 miles on roads made over Frozen Lakes, UNBELIEVABLE :eek:

Gary S

merle&louise
07-08-2007, 02:11 PM
JDUB,

Didn't mean to keep the information about Alaska a secret, I'll start posting my findings under this thread as I find out more. So far all I have found out is that Alaska is big and beautiful, the roads are paved but they have frost heaves, and it will probably be an expensive trip (diesel cost r.t. from Houma, LA at today's prices = $4600) :eek:

This is the only gentlemen's club that I could find in Alaska:
http://www.akbushcompany.com:rolleyes: I've heard that the tacos are outstanding here and the BBQ is to die for. Can I count you and MM in on the trip with us. We don't have to mention the strip joint to Karen do we?
I wonder if it is open year round?:confused:

Better yet, how about BrianE's idea: a rally in Alaska:D

Larry W
07-14-2007, 01:37 AM
Made it back out of Canada today and to a RV Park with Wi-Fi.
Frost heaves are really arctic speed bumps. The will make you drive slower to see all the vast expanse of the arctic. They are really caused by the road being built over areas of permafrost. Permafrost is ground that nevers thaws.
Some of the far north is permafrost and some is not. Driving over them requires slowing down. Some are just small bumps and others are bad. Most road crews seem to put small flags or some kind of warning on the edge of the road by the heave. But it seems they forget to mark some of the big ones.
There are very few frost heaves before one gets past Whitehorse, Yukon.

QueenOfTheRoad
03-24-2008, 10:55 PM
Hi all,

I was asked in the new member forum to post my Bus Conversions magazine articles on our trip to Alaska. I don't really think the folks in that thread knew what they were getting into.

We made the trip in the summer of '05 and would do it again in a heartbeat (in the summer, of course - and only in a bus). I'm a little hesitant to post these because as posts go, they are LONG, as you can see. So please let me know if you think this one is useful and you'd like me to post more, or if there's another place to do so. Warning: There are 17, count 'em, 17 articles! Yee gads! I can try to post one every couple of days, or feel free to cry UNCLE. Also, feel free to PM me with any specific questions not answered. For now, suffice it to say, Alaska was one of the highlights of our year-long trip.

America’s Last (Bus) Frontier: An Introduction
The last major (and that’s an understatement) trip Tim and I took during our year on the road was Alaska. It was a fitting end to a wonderful journey, as our 49th state is like no other. However, if you’re going North to the Future by bus, it does take a bit of planning.

Definitely spend the $26 (as of May 2005) to get an Alaska Milepost. Just suck it up and do it. The Milepost, which put out its first edition in 1949, is an annual magazine that takes readers through every possible road in Alaska they could possibly drive, providing information down to the tenth of a mile, ranging from locations of RV parks and gas stations to (and perhaps most crucially for big rigs) every rut, dip and frost heave in the road. (As a former Princess from the Island of Long, now of course promoted to Queen of the Long Narrow Aisle, I must admit I had no idea what a frost heave was. I therefore resorted to my East Coast, fancy-schmansy education to theorize that they probably occurred when iron-deficient, ice-age monsters, entombed during the original paving of the road, broke through the black-top, grabbing at unsuspecting vehicles, of which buses, driven by hapless men living their dreams, were undoubtedly the easiest targets. Needless to say, upon completing the drive, I returned my diplomas.) The Milepost also tells where to look out for moose and caribou crossings, even where to look up to see an osprey nest in a tower. It also lists all turnouts, including whether they’re paved, gravel, double-ended, particularly wide or narrow. In other words, it’s invaluable.

Tech note: Verizon won’t work in large sections of the state (except Anchorage and Fairbanks and most of the Kenai Peninsula) unless you buy an analogue phone. Cingular seems to work a bit better and nothing works in Prince Rupert. As for your satellite internet and TV -- are you kidding? But hey, you’re probably traveling in summer when even 24 is in reruns. Also, many towns and RV parks have WiFi.

Cats and dogs need proof of current rabies vaccinations. We were asked for them every time we crossed into the US. For a website that gives good information about this and other regulations try: http://www.alaskaone.com/welcome/planning.html.

Most importantly: Bring DEET. A gallon or so should do, as the mosquitoes in Alaska would make even the new Airbus jealous. (There’s also a bug there so disgusting, I don’t know how it can stand itself – but that’s for another article.)

I can’t stress enough how much we particularly enjoyed taking the Alaska Marine Highway through the inside passage. But, you need to book early. We did in February and got our choice of what we wanted. If you’re flexible, you can probably book a little later. Cabins are the first to go, then space for cars and rigs. We chose to leave from Prince Rupert, BC, which saved us $2000 in fare over what we would have paid if we had left from Bellingham, WA. We got the added bonus of stunning scenery from Seattle to Prince Rupert on excellent roads. Regardless of where you chose to depart, you cannot stay overnight in any of the parking lots for the entire ferry terminal system, so plan accordingly. Reservations and information for the ferry can be found on line at www.akferry.org or call 800-527-6731. You can also go through a travel agent, such as Viking Travel in Petersburg AK (907) 772-3818. Our total fare for 6 stops (Ketchikan, Wrangell, Petersburg, Sitka, Juneau, Haines), for two people, one 40 foot bus, one 15 foot tow vehicle and one overnight in a cabin was $2500. Not only will it save you driving time and diesel, but none of these towns (except Haines and Skagway) are connected to the Alaskan interior by road. You are not allowed on the parking deck during the voyage and pets must remain on board your rig. The only exception: If the trip is more than 6-8 hours, the purser takes pet owners onto the parking deck at a preappointed time. (So, if you forget something you need in your rig, become a “pet owner.”)

To get on and off at the various stops, staying several days at each does not cost significantly more than just staying on board the entire time and we would highly recommend it, as each town is quite unique. All the boats were comfortable. The nicest is the Malaspina, the quickest are the new high speed catamarans, like the Fairweather, which will cut your passage time nearly in half. The longest ride was 11 hours, the shortest 2. If you don’t feel like making all those stops, Tim and I agree that we most highly recommend Sitka, however, we can’t agree on which of the others we liked second best, so you’ll just have the read my next articles and decide for yourself.

If there are two of you traveling, you’re better off assigning the bus to one and the tow vehicle to the other on your tickets. You get charged by the foot, so it’s cheaper to unhook, rather than pay for a few feet of tow bar. Also, once you board at your origination point, you shouldn’t have to hook up again until your very last stop, as all the campgrounds are a short distance (the longest was 14 miles) from the ferry terminals. Do make campground reservations in advance: you know when you’re going to be on these islands anyway, and a few of the campgrounds have been known to fill up. When I write about the specific places in upcoming articles, I’ll also suggest where to stay. Again, I’m not sure Tim and I would have thought our trip to Alaska worth the time and effort if we hadn’t done the inside passage. It was that spectacular. We did it on the way up, so that we would have more flexibility to return when we wanted, but it doesn’t really matter. To give an idea of how much time you’ll need, we caught our first boat on June 11th, arrived on our last stop in Haines on July 5th, toured the interior and started home on the Alaska Highway from Tok on July 27. We never encountered traffic. As for road quality, stick to the Alaska Highway coming in and out of the state, rather than the Cassiar.

Within the inside passage, gas prices were cheapest in Ketchikan (avoid Canada). If your ferry ride ever calls for an overnight, go for it – it adds less than $100 for an outside cabin (which, depending on the vessel, includes linens, shower, toilet and 4 single bunks). If, however, you’re sick and tired of luxury, by all means, bring a tent to pitch for free on deck.

Tim was concerned the deck hands would be obnoxious due to having their patience tried again and again guiding terrible RV drivers to their parking spots (yes, as an Ex-East Coaster, I can find a way to be a snob about anything), but they were wonderful. Each ferry also has a park ranger/naturalist on board to point out wildlife and give a bit of area history. All the boats have a snack bar, a couple even have restaurants.

Next month, I’ll start our trip to Alaska in Canada, where we made our way to our first stop on the Marine Highway, Ketchikan.

garyde
03-24-2008, 11:22 PM
[QUOTE=QueenOfTheRoad;26322]Hi all,

(There’s also a bug there so disgusting, I don’t know how it can stand itself – but that’s for another article.)

I think we have a Mascot for POG.:D

QueenOfTheRoad
03-25-2008, 12:21 AM
Mascot? Totally depends on the outfit. I'm a winter, so fuzzy orange not good on me.

dreamchasers
03-25-2008, 07:35 AM
We drove from the Livingston, Texas to Alaska in 2005. It was a great experience with the scenery well worth the cost and effort. We left Texas in May and returned in September. As a Texas boy that has always lived in warm climates, all the ice and glaciers were a 'big deal' for us.

I would suggest driving through the Canadian Rockies. In our opinion, this was were the scenery begins, Banff, Lake Louise, WOW!. Check out our web site for pictures and comments on the trip through the Canadian Rockies. Our route took us through Calgary, then west into the Canadian Rockies.

http://www.dreamchasers.us/canada.htm

We also used the Alaska Marine Highway. We used it on our return from Haines, Alaska to Bellingham, Washington. Yes, the ferry is expensive, but if you take the ferry from Haines, you have an opportnity to drive the spectacular 'Hanies Highway'. The highway cuts from the Alaskan Highway to Hanies. The only regret is that we did not spend the night along the Hanies highway (We actually drove one this highway twice!). There are no RV Parks along the way, you would just pull over. The high country was spectacular. We stayed a week in Hanies waiting for our scheduled departure on the ferry. It was a unique place to hang out and recoup from the busy trip. Be sure and read the article of the 'Inside Passage'. Girls can be Girls! Check out our Alaska pictures and comments.

http://www.dreamchasers.us/alaska.htm

After driving the 10,000 plus mile trip, we encountered much worst highway conditions in the US. Yes, there will be construction along the Alaskan Highway, there always will be. The road surface buckles due to the changing temperatures. They call these spots frost heaves. The message is 'slow down'. if you hit one of these spots at nrmal road speed, I can promise you that will only happen once! We drove our American Eagle and had no problems.

Hope this info helps.

Hector:):)

Ray Davis
03-25-2008, 01:50 PM
Great information. Keep 'em coming!

Ray

Coloradobus
03-25-2008, 06:20 PM
We drove our 2001 Country Coach XL 2 slider in 2002 to Yellowknife, NorthWest Territory, towing a 1999 Range Rover. The last 42 miles into Yellowknife is unpaved, but the bus and Rover did just fine. We drove into Yellowknife connected, but leaving we drove detached since it was greasy and muddy. I wanted to be able to fish-tail while spinning the bus wheels to keep it going without playing crack-the-whip with Rover. The Country Coach installed traction control was a great help.

QueenOfTheRoad
03-30-2008, 06:05 PM
(Don't blame me, you asked for it):

America’s Last (Bus) Frontier: Time to Cross the Border, Eh?

Up until now, our trip had been restricted to the US. So, it was with a renewed sense of adventure, if not bus phobia, that we crossed the border at Lynden/Aldergrove (exit 256A off of I-5 N, to Hwy 539). To get there, make sure you stay on 539, and it’s about 15 minutes to the border (don’t turn off to Lynden). We had heard that this crossing or the Sumas/Abbotsford one had much shorter wait times than the ones closer to Vancouver, and indeed, we only had a few minutes wait at about 2 in the afternoon. (We had gotten our usual early start of noon from Bellevue, WA). Before you leave your RV Park for the trek into Canada, be sure to check out http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/traffic/border. There, you’ll get up to the minute wait times (including a traffic cam – how cool is that?) which may help you decide on when/where to cross. Whichever border you chose, do NOT get into the truck lane. That is ONLY for commercial vehicles and if you do, they will make you back up (there’s no place to turn around) and unhook your tow vehicle. Cats and dogs need current rabies certificates and they will question you about how much booze you have and if you have a gun. In our case, they didn’t even ask about the pets, trusted our word on the booze (silly them – although we have heard that for people living in their motorhomes, the Mounties understand that alcohol restrictions are a bit extreme and will let you get by with pretty much anything) and we were not boarded -- this time. (We had read that if you have children with you, you’re more likely to be closely questioned, due to kidnapping concerns.)

All in all, it took us just over 8 hours to reach our first stop, Lac la Hache, where we stayed in the Big Country (formerly KOA Lac la Hache) RV Park. It was quite pretty, with a heated pool and sauna, about 3 miles south of town on Hwy 97 (250-396-4181). Pull-through, full hook-up, spacious, treed sites for about $22/night. Be sure to get in by 11 pm, because that’s when the gate closes. It gets 4 out of 5 painted nails. The drive up was terribly scenic after we left Canada’s I-1 for Hwy 1, until about Cache Creek – from majestic mountains shrouded in mist to vistas reminiscent of the Old West (no wonder Hollywood often films up here). What we noticed right away about Canada was that the roads were largely in excellent shape, wide and had many more rest stops and spacious pull-out areas than we were used to in the States. Dump stations and water spouts were also plentiful. From Lac le Hache, we drove 7 hours to Smithers, where we spent the night at Riverside Golf and RV Park, 1 mile east of town on Hwy 16 (250-847-3229). Lovely setting, and if you aren’t in a rush, play some golf along the river, or try the driving range with the stunning snow capped mountains in the background. Also 4 painted nails (it lost a hangnail due to no pool or Jacuzzi). I didn’t even realize it was on the river, despite its name, as over the year I had gotten so used to the false advertising inherent in so many parks’ monikers. You know what I mean, places like Whispering Pines RV Park – right next to the rail yard. Or Vista View RV Resort – the view is of the town dump and as for the resort part, let’s just say the amenities include a mossy swimming hole and a tuff shed with an air hockey table .

In Prince Rupert, we stayed at the Park Ave RV Park overnight to catch the ferry to Ketchikan at the terminal aboot a half-mile from the park. They do not allow overnight parking at the terminal, and Park Ave had plenty of availability with 30 amp full hook-ups for $21/night. They also have dry docking, if they’re full. July and August are the busiest for the ferries, but even so, when we sailed on June 11th, ours was teeming with vehicles (they had a wait list). There’s not much else reason to stay in Prince Rupert and the park gets 3 painted nails, as it’s not particularly scenic and has no amenities save the laundry room. The drive from Smithers to Prince Rupert took 4 hours and the scenery on Hwy 16 was stunning with titanic peaks, churning rivers and waterfalls twisting down the mountains like the woven tassels on my white summer loafers. (Do waterfalls ever feel unfashionable after Labor Day?)

It may seem like a lot to drive three days to catch the ferry in Canada, when we could just have gotten on in Bellingham, WA. But, as I mentioned in my last column, this shaved off nearly half the cost of the entire trip of the ferry system, and was a very pleasant drive to boot (Sorry, I was due for another boot aboot now).

Next month, our first stop on the Alaska Marine Highway – Ketchikan.

QueenOfTheRoad
04-15-2008, 05:58 PM
Hi there,

Sorry this took me awhile. I had eye surgery (vision, not wrinkles - but give me a few years) and can only recently stand the light from the computer! (No sympathy being requested here. Tim's already set me straight on that: "You don't get sympathy for ELECTIVE surgery." I guess he gave at the office.

I hope you enjoy...

America’s Last (Bus) Frontier: It’s Rainin’ Buses

Ketchikan (population 10,000), our first stop on the Alaska Marine Highway was one of Tim’s favorites. With average annual rainfall of 152 inches, it is one of the wettest spots on Earth. It’s also the town with the heaviest annual rainfall in North America, so bring an umbrella.

As we arrived at port, we scanned the Tongass Narrows for a glimpse of our first Alaskan town. Finally, we found it; a dot sandwiched between hills thick with spruce and sea teeming with all manner of marine craft, from small fishing vessels cutting quick, determined paths across the water, to humongous cruise ships lumbering to and from port, to seaplanes flitting about to avoid everyone else.

We stayed at Clover Pass RV Resort, (907-247-2234) about 14 miles from town off of North Tongass Hwy (take a left at the ferry and keep going until you see their large, white sign on the left). Request a site on the water. Although there are first come, first served RV sites in two other parks, Clover Pass is the only place with hook-ups, so it's a good idea to reserve in advance. They also provide a computer for guests to get online for free, as well as a free local phone. I certainly took advantage of both, as our cell phone didn’t work and the WiFi fee was the steepest I’ve ever seen ($12.99/day). You’ll see plenty of eagles in the camp (and all over town) and the resort can set you up with fishing trips.

In Ketchikan, we took our first hike in Alaska. Yes, I said “first.” I figured since we were coming all the way up there I might as well. The added advantage was imagining this would fulfill my quota for the coming decade. But it was really Tim who made the mistake of encouraging me to go, only worsening his faux pas by picking the Perseverance Lake Trail. He loved it, of course (being easy to please has its advantages), but I found the endless steps of a boardwalk leading to an averagely scenic lake endlessly tedious, although the rainforest we passed through was lovely. But really. For mile after interminable mile – all three of them – it was all pretty much the same. Even having camera in hand couldn’t redeem the trek. Enough was enough.

Adding insult to injury, the entire time on the trail, I was afraid we’d encounter a bear. Tim tried to calm me, saying he didn’t think bear like such dense undergrowth.

“Oh, great. They’ll all be waiting for us at the lake. A regular bear convention.” I observed.

“Yup,” Tim agreed. “And they’ve been promised a JAP as the keynote squeaker.” We let the only other person on the trail, a young man, pass us. Beneficent me whispered to Tim, “Good. Now he can startle the bear!”

The next day, Tim did the five-mile, nearly vertical Deer Mountain Trail with the poodle – not that they didn’t invite me. In spite of the spectacular views of the town and harbor he reported on his return, as well as the wide grins on both their faces, judging by their mud-crusted, exhausted state, I was glad I had stayed in the campground, reading out on the dock.

I much preferred strolling through Creek Street on the historic downtown's walking tour. In 1903, Ketchikan’s city council decided to root out the “bawdy houses” from “Uncle Sam’s Wickedest City,” ordering them all moved to Creek Street. Since more than two “female borders” constituted a house of prostitution under the Territory of Alaska law, most of the women chose to live alone or in pairs. Thus, sailors of the North Pacific halibut and salmon fleets found their favorites by the glow of porch light globes, inscribed with such names as: Frenchie, Prairie Chicken, Deep Water Mary, and Dirty Neck Maxine. More discreet customers would slink to their rendezvous under cover of hillside brush by way of the “Married Men’s Trail.” During Prohibition, booze was snuck into the establishments via trap doors over the creek which the Creek Street houses were conveniently located on. Thus, prostitution in Ketchikan flourished until 1954, when it was permanently banished. Some old-timers still grumble about honest women put out of business.

We also visited the totem park at Saxman Village. When emancipation came after the territory was purchased from Russia, the indiginous people in this area, the Tlingit, lost an important part of their economy (slaves taken from other indiginous people) and expected their new U.S. government to compensate them. The compensation never came. To shame those with unpaid debts, the Tlingit traditionally erected a totem pole with the welcher’s likeness and this time was no exception. In Ketchikan, at Saxman Totem Park, we saw the one with an unmistakable Abraham Lincoln perched on top.

I know you didn’t come all the way to Alaska for Mexican food, but you must run (as if a Grisly were chasing you and you didn’t know that you’re supposed to play dead), to Ocean View Restaurant, (1831 Tongass Ave; 907-225-7566) the hands down food find of Ketchikan. The food is eclectic, with Mexican, Italian and Greek choices but it’s all fabulous fare with entrees running around $14. Don’t pass up the Sangria, a blend of Chardonnay and Cabernet, soaked in fruit for 3 days. I had the halibut Olympia, a tender, tasty fish in a wine and onion sauce (if anyone has a recipe, I’d be obliged). Tim had a special of steak chunks in a sort of cactus stew.

Also excellent were Bar Harbor Restaurant (2813 Tongass Ave; 907-225-2813), serving seafood, steaks, pot roast and meatloaf, with a view from its tiny space (weather permitting, you can eat outside, overlooking the harbor). And, locals flock to Diaz Café (335 Steadman Street; 907-225-2257) for Filipino food. We’d never tried this before, but the Chicken Adobe made us vow to find some back home. You don’t go to this place for atmosphere (frankly, it looks like a dive), they don’t take credit cards and they’re closed on Mondays.

If you’re in town and want a quick, cheap bite, try the most picturesque Safeway you’ll ever see. It’s right on the water and its salad/sandwich/Chinese food bar has seating with a view. You can also buy fresh local fish there. We got AK King Salmon for $12.99/lb, then in town, at a fish monger, we paid $7.99/lb. Both were fresh and probably the best salmon we’d ever had – up to that point.

We splurged on a seaplane trip to Misty Fjords National Monument, as that or a boat is the only way to get there (and we figured we’d be sick of boats, soon). There are several outfits that can get you there either way, or if you're very hardy and experienced (or in my opinion, foolhardy and idiotic) opt for a several day guided kayak paddle. We went with Island Wings Air Service (888-854-2444;www.islandwings.com) on pilot Michelle Madsen’s six-passenger DeHavilland Beaver for a two hour flight that included 45 minutes on the ground on the shore of one of the fjord lakes (cost $199/person). There was no one else around, but there had been earlier, as we saw bear prints in the sand. In addition to the majestic scenery, we saw mountain goats on a ridge (Michelle strafed them for us). If you getting tired of living in luxury on your bus, you can also hire a plane to take you to a US Forestry Service cabin and pick you up days later. My offer to all readers of this magazine: a free psychotherapy session before you go, to try to talk you out of it.

Ray Davis
04-15-2008, 06:11 PM
Thanks Dorreen, we really appreciate reading your articles/posts. I hope the surgery went well. I assume that you had lasik, or something similar.

Best of luck during the recovery!

Ray

QueenOfTheRoad
04-15-2008, 06:17 PM
Thanks, Ray! (Aw, gee. I said no sympathy requested. Was I that obvious? :)

It was a touch up of PRK I'd originally had years ago, so I was stuck doing PRK again, rather than Lasik, hence the worse/prolonged recovery. (Ooops! There I go, again!)

Seriously, thank you!

Ray Davis
04-15-2008, 08:01 PM
Interesting. I had RK many, many years ago as well. But, I was told by an eye surgeon that lasik is usable now to retreat? I haven't done it, but had considered it.

QueenOfTheRoad
04-15-2008, 11:19 PM
I think I'll sue.

QueenOfTheRoad
04-19-2008, 10:45 AM
America’s Last (Bus) Frontier: Wrangell Me a Bus

With a population of around 2000, you won’t be going to Wrangell for the amenities. I’m not even talking about the fact that there are only a couple of restaurants and bars. Oh, no. In Wrangell, the grocery store closes at 6 pm and aren’t even open on Sundays. You go to Wrangell, then, because it’s peaceful and gorgeous. It was one of my favorite Alaskan towns.

We stayed at the Alaska Waters RV Park (www.alaskawaters.com), about a mile from the ferry terminal. The setting is unspectacular, but quiet and it’s the only place with full hook ups on the island. The cost was $30/night. Book in advance, as there are only a handful of spaces. The owner, Jim, is a wonderful resource for all things Alaska and is a sort of Candide of the North. (Get him to tell you his harrowing tales of nearly being killed by calving glaciers and enormous, angry mammals, not to mention once running a logging camp where he employed three of the FBI’s ten most wanted.) There is free WiFi in the park. Staying there also gets you a 15% discount if you book any tours with Jim, and we would highly recommend his 6 hour jet boat trip down Skitkene River. You get to tour the river with a small group and will see glaciers, icebergs and animals. Jim captained our boat and we enjoyed his commentary as much as the sights themselves. If you can’t get into the Alaska Waters Park, a couple miles further down the road, Shoemaker Park has electric hook ups and a dump station for $25/night, is on the water, but takes no reservations.

You may also want to go to the Anan Bear and Wildlife Observatory. People we spoke to who had done it (we were too early in the season) said it was a highlight of their trip. They got to see many bears up close (15 feet), catching salmon in a stream. Locals told them not to worry – the bears are only interested in salmon, not humans, but always ended their assertion with, “no one’s been killed – yet.” It’s only been open a couple of years, so here’s my own assertion: that might change.

As for hiking, the most popular trail is Rainbow Falls. Be sure to go in late afternoon, as there are fewer cruse ship tourists. The trail is not for the couch potato inclined, as it has over 700 steps and is 0.7 mile each way. But, even lazy ‘ole me thought it was worth it. Then, the queens amongst you can set a spell as your driver takes you in the Royal Toad past where Zmovia ends, to some spectacular overlooks, such as Three Sisters and Anita Bay.

Also head to Chief Shakes Island in the middle of Wrangell Harbor, to see the Tribal House which is on the National Register of Historic Places. Admission is $3 and includes an explanation of Petroglyphs. For the vigorous amongst you, bike along a 6 mile trail that never leaves the water and starts at Shoemaker Park.

As far as eats go, stock up your fridge before you get on the ferry. But, if you must eat out, The Marina Bar next to Shakes Island is reported to have excellent pizza. Zak’s on Front Street is the best restaurant in town, but a bit pricey at up to $25 an entry in a rather shabby setting. If you want to cook your own fresh fish, you’re out of luck unless you catch it and fillet it yourself (obviously not something this Queen of the Long Narrow Isle was wont to do) although you could try going down to the dock and buying some from a local. As we were leaving, someone mentioned there was a fishmonger across from the Marina Bar, so you could try that, as well. There is no fishmonger in town.

Next month, Alaska’s “Little Norway,” Petersburg.

QueenOfTheRoad
05-23-2008, 02:48 PM
(Gosh, I can't believe it's taken me this long to post more of these. It's been crazy - and believe me, I know crazy!)

Petersburg is only three hours by ferry from our last stop, Wrangell. To get there, you pass through the narrow Wrangell Straights. If there's not too much rain, head out on deck to see the ferry boat’s wake wash up on the nearby shore.

Since cruise ships are too humongous to get to Petersburg, this town of only 3000, has a more natural, less spoiled feel. 1000 people sure seems to make a difference, as it also seems a bit more civilized, if that’s your thing. You can get fresh fish from several mongers downtown.

Tim loved the steep, 4 mile Raven Trail and judging by the pictures he took (surely we know each other well enough by know for you to realize there was no way I was going), there were spectacular views of the town and sound.

Much more my speed was taking the Jeep on the Three Lakes Loop Road. Definitely take the short detour to the view of the LeConte Glacier, where, on a clear day, you can easily make out icebergs. During low tide (free tide books are available at the Visitor’s Center and Wells Fargo Bank in town) head to Blind River Rapids. When the salmon are “in” it’s wall to wall and you might also see bear fishing, although you'll certainly see eagles anytime.

If a minimum 6 hour boat trip to whale watch isn’t your thing (it wasn’t ours) locals tell us they often see the beasts off shore at Outlook Point in the evenings (there are even binoculars mounted on pedastals for public use). We didn’t see any, but did catch a lovely sunset and a few deer on the beach. Even though Petersburg is a bit more "upscale" than Wrangell, there still aren’t any great restaurants. Tim satisfied a burger craving at Northern Lights Restaurant on Sing Lee Alley. The view was lovely, but the food (burgers, fish and chips, etc) was just acceptable. Locals recommend Joan Mei Restaurant (across from the ferry) for Chinese and American food, although there was a “for sale” sign in the window at the time of our visit.

On the other hand, Petersburg is wired. Take your laptop downtown and hang out anywhere. I found free Wifi at the corner of Dolphin and Nordic and sat in the Jeep checking emails.

We stayed at Twin Creek RV Park which has full, (barely) 30 amps hookups for $20/night and is about 6 miles from the ferry terminal on Mitkoff Highway. It is not particularly picturesque, but for buses, there’s not that much to chose from, here. While we enjoyed our time in Petersburg, we both found it the least memorable town on the Alaska Marine Highway, so keep that in mind if you’re pressed for time.

Next time, Sitka - probably our favorite stop on the Marine Highway.

QueenOfTheRoad
05-26-2008, 10:17 PM
Tim and I agree that Sitka, on the west side of Baranof Island, is our favorite Alaskan city and not just on the Marine Highway. For a combination of beauty and things to do, we feel it just cannot be beat.

There are only two RV parks that can accommodate buses, both are private and both have 30 amp electric and water only. Don’t even think about trying the Parks Service campsites, as they are way too small for buses. Sitka Sportsman’s Association RV Park (907-747-3439) is a half mile from the ferry. While it sits on a beautiful bay, the view from the sites themselves is of storage buildings. Seven miles from the ferry, just past downtown and over Sitka bridge to Japlonski Island, take the first left and you’ll be in the parking lot that is Sealing Cove RV Park (907-747-3439; they don’t take reservations and have never been full). It is part of the harbor and although, yes, it is a parking lot, this asphalt jungle’s got some awesome views. There is a pay phone nearby but no other amenities. The only dump station on Sitka is a half mile away. The advantage of this park, other than the lovely view, is that you can just walk over the bridge to downtown, where there are several WiFi hotspots. My favorite free one was at the Sitka hotel, which was only 0.6 mile from the RV park. I enjoyed sitting in the bar, having a coke (really! After all, by then, I’d become quite proficient at making fruity martinis, myself) and checking my email while Tim was out on a hike.

Speaking of death marches, even I enjoyed the Harbor Mountain Trail. Well, OK. Maybe “enjoyed” is too strong a word, but I don’t think I’ve ever seen more beautiful vistas in my life. Look for the turn off at the north end of Halibut Point Road. Take your tow vehicle (hopefully, it’s four wheel drive) up the mountain about 5 miles. There, you can stop and take a short stroll on a boardwalk, to one of the loveliest picnic spots you’ll ever see. Thus fortified (and believe me, you’ll need it) you can drive another ½ mile to the trailhead and do the 2 mile each way, moderate hike, with constant stunning views. Frankly, if I’m going to be forced to exert myself, I better get this kind of scenery.

You don’t even have to go all the way up to the peak, which I didn’t, after putting Tim through the Five Stages of Getting Grief from Hiking with Doreen: Denial (“There’s no way in hell I’m going all the way up there!”), Anger (“I can’t believe I let you drag me on this f-ing hike!”), Bargaining (“If we stop now, I’ll have the energy to do another hike tomorrow. Really! I promise.”) Despair (“Oh, why did I let you talk me into anything over two miles?”), Acceptance (“Fine, but this is absolutely the last hike I will ever go on for the rest of my life.”) I would add another stage, achieved on Ketchikan, which only occurs in extreme circumstances, at a perfect storm of elevation gain, total distance, mud and bugs: Confabulation (“Look at the dog! You’re killing him!”). If you’re going to do one hike in your lifetime (I wish) the Harbor Mountain Trail should be it.

Another (less, but still) gorgeous and much more reasonable trek is the 1 ¼ mile loop Mosquito Cove Trail which starts at Starrigavan Recreation Area (all the way north on Halibut Point Road). It meanders through old-growth forest along the shore. We also did the Estuary Life and Forest Muskeg Trails (about an easy mile each) just across the street, but unless you’re really into birds and fauna, the scenery, at least to me, was not particularly interesting.

Definitely head to the Alaska Raptor Center (www. alaskaraptor.org; just off Sawmill Creek Blvd, not far from town; 800-643-9425) where you can not only learn how eagles are rescued, but have a chance to see several up close.

As for downtown attractions, we took a peek into the Russian Orthodox St. Michael’s Cathedral and Castle Hill. Stay for the explanation of how the Russians first settled here. We also went to see the Sitka Tribe Dance Performance (call for times, as they depend on when the cruise ships are in, 888-270-8687; sitkatribe.org) but, unfortunately, it reminded me of one of the reasons I never wanted kids: the idea of sitting through a junior high production. At least it was only 30 minutes.

Fresh seafood can be purchased at 475 Katlian St downtown, at Absolute Fresh Seafoods. The only fine dining establishment is Ludwig’s and although it looks like a hole in the wall, we were assured its Mediterranean cuisine was fabulous. At $25-30 an entrée (or tapas at the bar for $15) without any kind of view, we chose not to see for ourselves. Instead, we headed for the Channel Club (2906 Halibut Point Rd; 907-747-9916) where local fisherman congregate for steak (only sirloin or ribeye), seafood and the all-you-can-eat salad bar. Call ahead if you want a table by the window with a lovely view of the bay. (Be warned: Smoking is allowed in the restaurant – hey, this is America’s Last Frontier, after all.) The steaks were good, but not great. If it’s Chinese food you’re hankering for, eat in with a lovely harbor view or take out at Twin Dragon (201 Katlian St; 907-747-5711). While the service was a bit, well, awful (they seemed to be overwhelmed by the number of diners on that particular night and may have had some new staff), the food was excellent, except for my vegetable soup (judging by its taste, the cook must have one bad case of hypertension, as it was waaaaay salty).

Next month, we head from the former Alaskan capital, Sitka, to the current capital, Juneau. (Maybe I’ll think of a better title for that article. Suggestions appreciated. I’m begging, people.)

To: POG Forum - I would LOVE to post some pictures with these articles, especially of Sitka, so you can see some of the stunning vistas I'm talking about, but I don't see any way to. If there is, please let me know. If there's not, I do have a lot of pictures on my website (especially for Alaska, see the gallery section).