PDA

View Full Version : Replacing Rocker Switch Lights

MangoMike
11-24-2006, 10:16 AM
Not a high profile job, but eventually you'll have to replace those small lights inside your dash rocker switches. Here's the HOW TO:

http://www.prevoman.com/Pages/Dash%20Light/Dashpg1.html

http://www.prevoman.com/Pages/Dash%20Light/IMG_3202.jpg

Mike

Navigator
11-24-2006, 02:47 PM
Mango,

Leave the bus alone. Enjoy the holidays. Go shopping with Mrs. Mango.
It's "WAY CHEAPER" than working on the bus!

jello_jeep
11-24-2006, 03:32 PM
Thanks for the post. I was thinking the whole switch would have to be replaced! I have several burnt out, and its a pain at night!..

Jon Wehrenberg
11-24-2006, 06:24 PM
JJ,

Prevost can sell you the bulbs but to make sure you don't go to a lot of trouble for nothing, check the voltage. Some coaches use 12V and others 24 I believe.

This is part of the fun of Prevost coach ownership. Look at work like this as the pursuit of your hobby and then it won't seem like work.

JIM CHALOUPKA
11-24-2006, 08:01 PM
Gee whiz if those lights aren't leds this sure looks like the proper place to have them. :D

lewpopp
11-24-2006, 08:58 PM
I imagine that mine are 24v on my 90. How do they come? do you order just the number that you want? How much are they because that would determine how many extras I should carry.

I guess we all appreciate the fact that Mr. Mango has set aside his "real" job and is rebuilding his new folly.

Bye the way. I have fair air coming out of the front blower on the Webasto. Did the new blower really increase the power and heat?

Lew

MangoMike
11-24-2006, 10:16 PM
Lew,
bulbs are only 84¢ each so you can fill up the Ace bay. Just order as many as you need.

The new blower fan only eliminated the squeaks, no change in temp or volume.

MM

truk4u
11-25-2006, 08:35 AM
Lew,
I posted one other time about the fan speed. Not sure about your vintage, but Kevin and I both have a switch on the panel labled "hi heat" and that kicks the heat exchanger fans to high speed. ;)

Now, go back to your nap!:D

jello_jeep
11-25-2006, 10:15 AM
Tom, in regards to panel lights, and marker/turn lights, is your bus 24V or 12V?

win42
11-25-2006, 10:42 AM
GE minature bulbs: I have always found the minature bulbs in WW Grainger.
Johns correct, check the voltage and get a number off the original if you can.

truk4u
11-25-2006, 06:24 PM
Jeep,
I have some bulb issues I'm taking care of tomorrow, will let you know. I do know the mini bulbs are 12v for the push buttons on the right side of the dash and the panel in the bedroom.

Jon? Markers?

Jon Wehrenberg
11-25-2006, 07:09 PM
If I'm not mistaken, our vintage of coaches all take 12V exterior lights.

My 87 however used all 24V, with only 12V headlights.

It would pay for anyone contemplating light replacement to check because I have a mix of voltages in some places.

truk4u
11-26-2006, 06:44 PM
Jeep,
It appears everthing on mine is 12 volt, markers, dash lights, switches, etc. I had to replace 4 bulbs in the tail, brake and signal lights in the rear. JDUB brought this to my attention, as the only thing he saw from Big Red going to Santa Fe is the rear end.:D

Petervs
11-26-2006, 08:19 PM
Hi Guys. My dash has individual light bulbs in each of the instruments, and for my getting very slightly older eyes at least, they are too dim. One day I replaced the tachometer light bulb that had burned out with another I had that was the same size, and wowweee it was really nice and bright. It only lasted 15 minutes or so though, I found out the dash was 24 volts and I had plugged in a 12 volt lamp. I am surprised it lasted that long actually.

But the real question is, can you get a slightly higher wattage bulb that will fit and give off maybe a little more light? Anybody try this yet?

jello_jeep
11-26-2006, 10:46 PM
I will check the voltage when El Bus comes home from Mira Loma... Thanks..

Jon Wehrenberg
11-27-2006, 08:09 AM
Peter,

The answer to your question is yes, maybe.

Prevost can give you the trade number of the bulbs now used. You need that because most are so small it is impossible to determine exactly what you have.

With the trade number you can now determine if there is a bulb with the same base, same voltage, but higher wattage available. I start with WW Grainger and other places like Bulbco to search to see what is available.

But before you run off to the eye doctor, it is not your eyes that are going bad, it is the lousy dash lighting that Prevost has provided that makes your instruments difficult to see. I have often thought about seeing if I could put some red floods directly over the dash (from the bottom of the upper cabinetry) to see if that would help.

Just Plain Jeff
11-27-2006, 08:45 AM
In deference to our aging members, I found that the Prevost dash lighting in our coach is more than sufficient. There is what you call a rheostat on the dash which can be turned to increase the amount of voltage to the lights which brightens the gauges. In 24v applications, I put aircraft lights in the sockets (they are rated at 28.8v). That way you can run them at full blast and get longer service life. I don't run mine at full tilt as they are too bright for safe driving.

But then, I am much younger and don't need all that much light to see.

rfoster
11-27-2006, 09:45 AM
JPJ
OK you young fart, some of us are not that old and still the lights are not bright enough with the rehostat maxed. I talking me, myself and I. I think back when we were talking virtual coach, one of the items wished for was dash gauges you could see at night. Or maybe I dreamed it, But Seriously, I have seen on this board a number of post complaining of the poor dash lights.
So Come on Post Office worker deliver the goods!

win42
11-27-2006, 10:15 AM
Roger: The smart ass referring to himself as young proclaims to be supporting us ederly with Social security. Well if thats so, he's definately doing a p poor job of it. Don't hold your breath for the bulb numbers to appear, all his offerings to date have been BS.
The old guys rule !!

Just Plain Jeff
11-27-2006, 11:06 AM
My goodness, Meals on Wheels must have been late this morning.

Well, they've got this new thing on the internet called Google. What you do is put in what you are looking for and with a tad of patience you will find that many websites appear which may have what you are looking for.

Here's one source for aircraft lights and the people at the company will help those who need special assistance: http://specialtybulb.thomasnet.com/category/bulb-styles ("http://specialtybulb.thomasnet.com/category/bulb-styles")

If that doesn't work for your specific application, you try another one.

Sheesh.

Jerry Winchester
11-27-2006, 08:46 PM
Truk4U Tom omitted the fact that Mike and I had to lag back so he and AP could get a run at the hills to keep us from passing them on the grades :o

And how to you get anywhere near a bling contest with burned out tail lights? Should have been a gross disqualification when you pulled into Santa Fe Skies. But I did mean to offer you some of my old Thomas Edison bulbs as I have a gross of them left from my days on the Dark Side.

In 20 or so years when I get to be Mike's age, I might have to change an LED.

And the LED in my MangoMikes cap was still burning as of this weekend. I reached in the closet of the coach and there it was all aglow. How heart warming....

Toy Box
11-27-2006, 09:11 PM
I always wanted to know how to spell sheesh.:cool