PDA

View Full Version : Military Camping

Terry J. Sturgis
10-23-2011, 01:05 PM
Has anyone used the Military Campgrounds (FANCAMPS)? Wife and I are starting at the Pelican Roost campground in Mayport, Florida in November. Does anyone have any recommendations for other FANCAMP'S. Thanks

AmeriStar
10-23-2011, 02:02 PM
The is a website dedicated to the military famcamps. http://www.militarycampgrounds.us/ It is administered by an individule, not the government.

We have stayed at the FE Warren AFB famcamp in Cheyenne during Frontier Days. We feel its the best choice in Cheyenne!

gmcbuffalo
10-23-2011, 09:30 PM
I have stayed in a few of these and they have been pleasant and clean. My problems with them are their usually off the beaten path and I have spent more money in Diesel fuel getting to them then I have saved stay at them.

rahangman
10-23-2011, 10:10 PM
Haven't actually seen it in person, but we stay at a private campground in Monument, CO just North of the USAF Academy and have been told by many,many that the Campground at the USAF Academy is exquisite. Obviously Pikes Peak is in your basic view all time

Terry J. Sturgis
10-26-2011, 12:03 PM
Thanks for the info. My wife and I will be wandering around Florida for a few months. Being lost in Florida should be better than shoveling snow in Michigan.

LarryB
10-26-2011, 10:05 PM
Does one need to be a retiree or will a DD214 work?

rahangman
10-26-2011, 10:20 PM
Can't say for sure, Larry, but I think you must be a retiree... I carry a copy of my DD214 everywhere , myself.

Kenneth Brewer
10-26-2011, 11:21 PM
For those who may not know, the Army COE has campsites open to all civilians, and the national senior pass card is applicable as well. These campsites are usually excellent, in my opinion, and almost all if not all are on lakes (man made) and have 50 amps and water, and easily take over 65' RVs in general. Some have full hook ups, but in any case, there is always the dump station. These facilities are in most states, and can accommodate groups. Texas has a number of these facilities. Texas happens to have only one natural lake, Lake Caddo; the COE was involved in most or perhaps all the others. Take at least one opportunity to try them, particularly if you fish or boat, and enjoy wildlife up close. I have not run across any nightly fee over $25, before the discounts for veterans, or senior pass holders (50%). Hope this is useful.

phorner
10-27-2011, 08:19 AM
Ken, that's good to know!

Last time I experienced "military camping" was courtesy of the United States Army.

One might describe those accommodations as "rustic"....:D

rahangman
10-27-2011, 09:57 AM
Paul,as a Comedian once noted "Viet Nam sorta took all the thrill out of camping-out". Bless our Prevosts

jonnie
10-27-2011, 11:59 AM
Roger,

Amen to that!

Terry J. Sturgis
10-27-2011, 12:23 PM
If you use the link on the second post, Military Camping, that tells you if you are eligible to camp in their camps. I am 100% DAV and my wife and I have the DOD cards that are usually needed to get on military installations.
My service was Viet Nam 69/70 HHB 108th Arty, DMZ. THANKS to all that served!

Ray Davis
10-28-2011, 11:14 AM
Unfortunatey, most of us veterans are not eligible. From their site:

Military campgrounds are a benefit provided to Active Duty, Retired, 100%DAV, and a few other categories. Unless qualified under another category, a typical veteran is NOT authorized use of U.S. Military Campgrounds. This ARTICLE provides more details and copies of the appropriate regulations on who is authorized access to MWR facilities (includes campgrounds).

rahangman
10-29-2011, 12:50 AM
Ray & All: Most of us, unless a 20 yr + retiree are not eligible as you say, how-some-ever, perusing that website , I did find a very few that said they were also open to the public, with priority given to those who meet their primary criteria. There is also some "Guesting" allowed with same limitations. All said, it sounds like those of us not 20+ vets, don't get a lot of shake on this. Thats ok, those guys earned every bit of 'Bennys' they can use.

michaeldterry
10-29-2011, 06:53 AM
Thats ok, those guys earned every bit of 'Bennys' they can use.

Hear! Hear! :cool: