PDA

View Full Version : Who all tow,s a Jeep !!! :)

lbriant
10-22-2011, 08:33 PM
If you tow a jeep, post it here :cool:
Anyone doing any trail riding while travling lets here about it,,,
Good trails and trips you have experienced,
We are going to try to find some down by Lake Havasu in AZ here shortly.
Mix it with a little gold digging, my cousin lives down ther and has alot of equipment, It takes allot of good Tequilla to find any gold thats all I have learned so far .)
I am starting to figure out ,it,s not about the Gold ;)

Les Lagerquist
10-22-2011, 10:02 PM
Les and Lana have an 06 Rubicon and have done some extensive off-roading around Breckenridge, CO, Gunnison, CO and Ouray, CO. Great fun.

aggies09
10-22-2011, 10:18 PM
'07 Liberty. Wife gets scared going over elevated over pass. Off road has not been explored to date. The Locster occasionally tows a pretty mean Jeepster and has been know to get it in some rather precarious locations.

HarborBus
10-22-2011, 10:40 PM
We tow an '05 Grand Cherokee that we have had off road a few times but this last January we bought an '06 Rubicon Unlimited that we use extensively in the Yuma desert. It's a hoot.

Larry W
10-22-2011, 11:48 PM
Since 2001 have towed a jeep. Just finished a 6000 mile trip towing 2010 Unlimited. Live 30 mile from Ouray and 150 miles from Moab. We do alot of jeeping in CO, UT, AZ and some in NM. Jeep works great as a toad but better to explore the unknown.

lbriant
10-23-2011, 12:57 PM
Here is a question, I never towed my other jeep sahara, we only used our toyota camery for our toad, we had to leave the key in it to keep the steering from locking, somtimes if we drove a very long day the battery would go down, I know a simple batt diconect would work,
but now we are ready to tow our new Rubicon and I found out they dont put steering locks in them anymore because they are towed so much, yet the towing instructions say disconnect the negitive cable and turn the key one notch ?
I dont understand why you would need to, How do you guys tow yours?

lbriant
10-23-2011, 01:12 PM
Looks like a killer trip Elliot, you must have a nice camera too, good pics !!!!

HarborBus
10-23-2011, 03:58 PM
Larry, Thanks for the positive comments, we just have a Canon point and shoot but Evy has a good eye so she in in charge of the pictures, I'm in charge of the driving, and I like my job much better. We just have a fraction of the pictures on the site as we did ten trips last spring before we had to leave Yuma.

johnbrowder
10-23-2011, 06:47 PM
Here is a question, I never towed my other jeep sahara, we only used our toyota camery for our toad, we had to leave the key in it to keep the steering from locking, somtimes if we drove a very long day the battery would go down, I know a simple batt diconect would work,
but now we are ready to tow our new Rubicon and I found out they dont put steering locks in them anymore because they are towed so much, yet the towing instructions say disconnect the negitive cable and turn the key one notch ?
I dont understand why you would need to, How do you guys tow yours?

I towed a 2008 Wrangler Sahara thousands of miles. It had a steering lock, and we had to leave the key on one click and lift the white fuse in the under hood fuse box. Never disconnected anything. Late, I disabled the steering lock and from then on removed the key, put in Neutral, and that's it. No problems.

I just bought a 2012 Wrangler Sahara. We just completed a 6 week 6000+ mile trip towing it. No steering lock, never left the key in or pulled a fuse, no problems. Very easy and reliable.

Larry W
10-23-2011, 11:27 PM
Our 2010 Rubicon came with instructions to leave the key on and unhook the battery. I jacked up the front end and turned the steering lock to lock with the key in my pocket (no steering lock). Have towed over 8000 miles with the battery hooked up and the key in my pocket.

Steve Bennett
10-24-2011, 11:25 AM
We just got a 2012 Rubicon Unlimited. We used it on our way to the Austin POG rally on trails in Sedona, AZ, and in Red River, NM. The vehicle does not have a steering lock, and we leave the ignition off when towing. The 2012 has a new engine & transmission, and we have been averaging over 17MPG.

lbriant
10-28-2011, 09:51 PM
Yea Steve, we just bought our 2012 rubicon and they claimed 21 hwy but I have only got around 17 or 18,
But we did get the mickey Thompson Baja tires and MT mags ? had to cut a little out of the plastic under guard on the front so they would not hit,
I just had the custom plastic installed on the front grill and front of the hood (you cand hardley see it ) my son has it on his car I think it will be really good on keeping rock chips off the front end, I am looking into getting some tear off windshield covers like the race car drivers to save the windshield during travel also, when behind the bus,
Thanks for all the good info guys I hope to find some trails in AZ and get some use out of my D-90 Nikon,
Hey The 2012 Catlog just came out and they have a Jeep trailor big tires good ground clearance and in unfolds into a small camper pretty cool but around $11,000
When I get down there I will post some pics,

lbriant
11-01-2011, 09:22 PM
Looking into a small 2 to 3 '' lift for our Rubicon, Front tires are hitting at the top with swaybar diconnected on hills? any Ideas or opinions on lifts?
Would like one to increase flexibility off road and will ride as good or better on the road ????

Larry W
11-01-2011, 10:16 PM
I put AEV's 2 inch spacer lift on our rubicon. The spacers did not change the ride or drive. Be aware with all the new electronics the streeing wheel has to be dead center for all the elctronics to work correctly. With the two inches of lift there has been no problem and I did not recenter the steering.. I do have AVE's front bumper and a warn winch. With the added stuff the rubicon most likely is not 2" higher than when new.

johnbrowder
11-02-2011, 09:47 AM
Larry,
What sort of base plate configuration do you have with your AEV? I am interested in adding this bumper to my 2012. I currently have a Blue Ox base plate installed, and I do not think it is compatible with the AEV.

Thanks!

I put AEV's 2 inch spacer lift on our rubicon. The spacers did not change the ride or drive. Be aware with all the new electronics the streeing wheel has to be dead center for all the elctronics to work correctly. With the two inches of lift there has been no problem and I did not recenter the steering.. I do have AVE's front bumper and a warn winch. With the added stuff the rubicon most likely is not 2" higher than when new.

Larry W
11-03-2011, 12:15 AM
I had a base plate made by a local welding shop for my roadmaster tow bar. The base is removable with 4 bolts. It mount to the tow brackets that are part of the AVE bumper. Those brakets mount with 6 half inch bolts. The base plate mounts to the AVE brackets with a one inch bolt and a 5/8 bolt on each side. If interested I take a photo of the base plate and E-mail you the picture. Roadmaster base plates cost more than I paid for a very strong base plate.

lbriant
11-03-2011, 08:42 PM
Thats a Killer Idea Larry,
I am in the process of a 2 1/2 " lift on our Rubicon also, the wider tires were hitting the top of the fenders when Wheeling,
i am also looking at getting a winch, First I think I am going to get some Rock Slider Running boards, I havent decided what style I want yet?
I always wondered about somthing to slide into the sterling tow recivers on the Jeep that could be usfull when not in tow,
I was thinking of fabricating some type of skid plate to slide in there?

lbriant
11-03-2011, 08:52 PM
I started a Jeep Owners Group If anyone wants to Join up and Talk anything about Jeeps, trails, Aftermarket Parts, Experiences etc etc

lbriant
11-03-2011, 09:01 PM
http://forum.prevostownersgroup.com/group.php?groupid=3

lbriant
11-05-2011, 11:47 PM
Thanks for the info and the people who joined the Jeep Owners Group !!!

lbriant
11-15-2011, 11:39 PM
The Motorcycle lift is on and The Rubicon is going in the shop in the morning for a few nice upgrades :)
and hopfully we can get started south !!!!

lbriant
01-06-2013, 01:48 AM
Here are the Jeep Jamborees for 2013
They are posted on the POG Jeep Club too !!

http://jeepjamboreeusa.com/tripsregister/

We will be hitting the one in parker AZ,
Happy Trails,

jbchevy3
04-07-2013, 04:53 PM
I have been towing an 09 Wrangler for a while, I do not disconnect anything, no steering lock. I take the key out, in Park with transfer case in Neutral.
No problems. I read that in my manual too.

Jerry