PDA

View Full Version : Interesting information on towing

Jon Wehrenberg
10-21-2011, 02:25 PM
http://tow411.yuku.com/topic/105873/Refining-The-X345

Note, he has used the front body support points instead of grabbing the coach beneath the axle as he would on solid axle coaches.

Gary Carmichael
10-22-2011, 10:04 AM
Jon, two questions, Does a booklet or magazine exsit that list all towing operators qualified to tow or buses? Now you will laugh at this one, Country Coach included with the warrenty material a list of towing operators that could tow and not void warrentys. And the last question Should the tow operator also bring the passenger side mirror in?

Jon Wehrenberg
10-22-2011, 12:43 PM
Gary,

Can't answer your questions. I am going on a limb here and suggest the place to call for advice would be Prevost. If they cannot help I bet they can give you a number for a bus operator that could help you. When we had the bus fire and needed towing I asked the State Trooper to contact the operator, but to specify the truck had to be capable of towing a bus. I sent the first operator away because he was unable to extend his lift to pick up under the axle without compromising his turn radius. I could see the front of my coach cruinched if he made a sharp turn. The second guy was clearly capable and knowledgable. His tow bar easily went under the front axle and he had no problem towing. I noticed from the link above if a coach has IFS it is likely the lift point will be the body support point. My guess is as an owner you will be far better off to make sure the tow operator does it right, because if he doesn't good luck with the battle that will ensue when you try to recover for damages.

I do know this.......the best decision we made was to go with a 180 mile tow to the Jacksonville service center. I knew at least the coach was going to be repaired properly. I realized as we followed the coach on the hook that having a suspension system that did not lean was a good thing. If it did lean there was no way to air up the air bags because the coach electrical system was damaged. The air the tow truck supplies to the coach is not to apply the brakes, but to release the emergency brakes. If the air system was damaged the brakes could have been caged. I am sure every tow situation will be different. I think you just ned to know enought about your coach, its status and what has to be done to insure the tow operator does it right. Don't let them try to intimidate you and if you have any doubts call the Prevost 24 hour line to get answers.

Kenneth Brewer
10-22-2011, 12:54 PM
Gary,

.............. I could see the front of my coach cruinched if he made a sharp turn. ......... My guess is as an owner you will be far better off to make sure the tow operator does it right, because if he doesn't good luck with the battle that will ensue when you try to recover for damages.

Amen. Been there (the Bluebird). Very important point about IFS, as well. Thank you.

Les Lagerquist
10-22-2011, 09:56 PM
Gary,
We had a very detailed presentation on towing at a Prevost Prouds rally in Nashville. His name is John Hawkins and at this moment I don't have his info. He has a handout with very specific details on what you should know and ask {demand} of a towing operator.

Jon Wehrenberg
10-23-2011, 07:42 AM
Since POG has been in existence I believe two members have had mechanical issues that required their bus to be trailered.

The problems associated with towing can seem miniscule compared to those that can be encountered if the bus needs to be trailered. First, the angle of the ramp determines if the front end is going to sustain damage or not. If the slope is too steep the area beneath the front bumper is subject to damage. Likewise if the angle from the deck to the ramp is too great then the underside is also subject to damage. Any baffles, piping or other components hanging down are going to get damaged. If extreme the bottoms of the bay doors and the structure behind them is also subject to damage. As an owner you can help avoid damage by using the level low system to raise or lower the coach as necessary to provide additional clearance.

No matter how you slice it towing or trailering is something to be treated as a last resort.

Gary Carmichael
10-23-2011, 07:50 PM
Just hope I don't need to be towed or trailered, Country Coach did include a list of approved towing Companys. There was also a good seminar put on at Stuart a couple years ago. Something you could keep with you sort of like the Bus Garage Index.