PDA

View Full Version : GPS ??

lbriant
10-19-2011, 06:18 PM
opinions on GPS for the bus, my 2000 has 2 built in but outdated alpine with different cds for different areas, I have a portable NUVI i have been using but I recently heard of one I think it is randmcnally that has one for large rvs where you can put in your height and length ??
any thought s or experiences would be good :confused:

jack14r
10-19-2011, 06:28 PM
Google Garmin Dezl,I think that their data base is better than most.

RussWhite
10-19-2011, 10:06 PM
I use the Garmin nuvi 465T with lifetime updates. Nothing is perfect, but this one does let me enter the profile of my bus.

Ease your way down the highway with the nüvi 465T - the first nüvi designed specifically for the over-the-road trucking industry. Featuring specialized routing options throughout the lower 48 states and truck friendly points of interest, this full-featured navigator was made for life on the road. The nüvi 465T also lets you create custom vehicle profiles tailored to what you're driving and what you're hauling

BrianE
10-19-2011, 11:32 PM
For an in-dash system with all the bells and whistles including Garmin GPS, back up monitor, Sirius/XM and Silver Leaf compatible, check out the Kenwood KNX radios.

Sawbonz
10-20-2011, 11:05 AM
I went with the Rand McNally RVND for the reasons you said. As a bit of a techy, I have to say that I like it. The only problems I have had so far were when the custom checklists I put in were deleted by an update. The sound is loud, the maps clear, the speed limit warnings timely, and the functions useful and intuitive.

Larry W
10-21-2011, 10:49 PM
Two weeks ago we completed a 53 day trip of 6500 miles. A friend who drives truck loaned me his Cobra Truckers GPS. It does not have some of the features of others but the 7 inch screen along with entering the size, wieght and length of the coach was a plus. The Cobra also advises of known speed traps. The Cobra did a great job giving us the proper lane to use at interchange and junctions. The Corba can be found on Ebay for under $300. It will also advise you of low under passes and wieght limited roads.

truk4u
10-22-2011, 09:10 AM
I recently bought a Garmin 465T, truckers GPS on e-bay for 255.00. After 3,000 miles, I like it. It comes with FM Traffic Alert, NTTS breakdown directory and a separate points of interest for trucks. It's also Bluetooth and paired with my Droid with no problem.

Jon always pairs with his Droid!!!

Jon Wehrenberg
10-22-2011, 12:31 PM
I'm going to complain to managment for the use of what appears to be inappropriate language.

I learned from Tom what GPS means (in his case it means Gotta Pee Soon), so that is OK, but when you start comparing your Droids and Blue Teeth I get concerned.

My GPS is made of high quality paper, has many pages, and in a pinch can be used to swat flies.

phorner
10-22-2011, 02:25 PM
I hear ya Jon,

A buddy of mine was extolling the virtues of his new "moving maps" GPS and asked if that's what I had.

My reply was "Well, duh!.... that's the whole point! I move 'em all around the country!" :cool:

Jon Wehrenberg
10-22-2011, 02:31 PM
Good to see another traditionalist. GPS..........$200 plus on ebay. Rand McNally, $9.95 at Barnes and Noble, and $9.95 each year for upgrades.

Try using a highlighter on your electronic GPS. Try to get the latest model GPS to fit in the same size hole in the dash as the previous one. My GPS doesn't have that whiny bitch that is constantly recalculating. You get the picture.

jonnie
10-22-2011, 03:15 PM
Jon,

Please don't hold back, tell us how you really feel.

Ray Davis
10-24-2011, 02:41 PM
The Nuvi 465T is now available as the Dezl 465LMT. This is a larger screen, and specifically has profiles for auto, rv and trucks. It also has lifetime map updates, and lifetime traffic receiver.

I've used mine all the way across the country, and it did an excellent job. I did have the opportunity one time, pulling out of a Walmart, and configured for RV profile (45 foot), it didn't try to have me make a u-turn at a light, which would have happened with an automobile based GPS. It routed me around 3 left turns, and got me exactly where I needed.

One other benefit of the Dezl, it doesn't yell at you with the "Recalculating" response, when you go off the course set out by the GPS. It silently recalculates, and keeps you going.

Recommend highly.

ray

TerryM
10-24-2011, 06:09 PM
We use the Rand McNally trucker GPS - IntelliRoute® TND™ 700. From what I understand, it is similar to their new RV GPS. We love it. It includes height, width and weight information and lots of control over the route. The user interface is intuitive. Easy to find distance to rest stops, truck stops, etc.

lbriant
10-28-2011, 10:17 PM
TripMaker® RVND™ 7710
Be the first to review this product

In stock, ships in 1 to 2 business days

$ 399.99
Qty:Add to CartOR
Add to Wishlist
Bookmark and Share
Quick Overview
Built for RV Adventures. Now available with a larger screen! This Rand McNally 7” GPS device is designed specifically for the RVer and camper!
Rv-easy routing begins with a base of outstanding navigation from Rand McNally – routing includes legal weight and height restrictions designed for the type of RV you are using.

The RVND™ 7710 layers on all the information you need to have an enjoyable and safe trip in your RV.
Features and tools specifically for the RV-er include:
RV-type routing – Choose from eleven types of RV, or car and number of trailers
RV Logs and Checklists – don’t forget the details for vehicle preparation. This feature provides simple checklists for seasonal prep and take down, campsite prep and takedown and more!
Trails – track your progress from the main road to your campsite so you can easily return.
“Best of the Road” – three to four day adventures including unique stops, photos of the locations, maps and more to plan memorable adventure.
RV Critical Information – campgrounds, dealers, parking, rest areas, travel centers.

Learn more ►

lbriant
10-28-2011, 10:18 PM
Thinking about this one?:confused:

lbriant
11-18-2011, 11:50 PM
Well I recived my new TripMaker® RVND™ 7710 Made for RV's
here is a link

http://rand.factoryoutletstore.com/cat/29556/Rand-McNally-TripMaker-RVND-7710.html

It is great, tells you mile markers right on the money low bridges, etc etc you enter your weight, length, height and it will tell you if your legal in each state also speed warning you set how far over speed limit if you want a warning I set it for 5 over it will also tell you when the speed limit changes ahead, Wow it it really nice I give it a thumbs up !!!

Sawbonz
11-19-2011, 09:09 AM
Good choice. The only problem I have had with ours is that it erased my custom lists the first time I updated.... Not an Apple product for sure!

lbriant
11-19-2011, 11:31 AM
Wow .
I havent got that far yet:)
seems nice so far, thank for your imput !!

michaeldterry
11-19-2011, 01:52 PM
Well I recived my new TripMaker® RVND™ 7710 Made for RV's
here is a link

http://rand.factoryoutletstore.com/cat/29556/Rand-McNally-TripMaker-RVND-7710.html

It is great, tells you mile markers right on the money low bridges, etc etc you enter your weight, length, height and it will tell you if your legal in each state also speed warning you set how far over speed limit if you want a warning I set it for 5 over it will also tell you when the speed limit changes ahead, Wow it it really nice I give it a thumbs up !!!

Larry - I received my new RVND 7710 last week, too! So far I'm impressed - although I'll admit that getting used to the GUI and display (different from the Garmin that I'm used to and comfortable with) has been a liitle challenging! At the end of the day, I think I'll like it just fine and will come to appreciate many of the RV specific features!

johnklopp
11-21-2011, 10:56 PM
Went to camping world to play with one and made the decision to upgrade with an RV specific GPS. Having read the info on the outlet store site, discounted price, no sales tax and free shipping decided it was the place to purchase. Just placed my order.

My existing GPS is a Kenwood combo unit with radio, ipod player, back up camera and GPS. Should be interesting to compare route guidance.