PDA

View Full Version : 20000 lb trailer hitch for 1998 Marathon 45' XL

Gopower
10-19-2011, 10:54 AM
seeking a 20000 lb hitch for a '98 45' XL. Also someone to install it in Florida.

I just bought this beauty and also a 30' Featherlite stacker, and will need the big hitch.

I'm david@gopower.com 305 775 8300

Thanks.

Dave.

gmcbuffalo
10-19-2011, 12:00 PM
Dave have you read the lastest post on the this relating to the State laws and liabilities of pull such a monster?

RussWhite
10-19-2011, 12:13 PM
Dave,

Here's a link to one of the recent discussions on your subject.

http://forum.prevostownersgroup.com/showthread.php?5943-Stacker-trailor-insurance&highlight=stacker

Russ

joelselman
10-19-2011, 12:28 PM
I understand everybody's concerns over the legalities, etc, and you guys are probably quite correct BUT...you've got to break an egg to make an omelette! I've got about 300,000 miles over length and have had 1 ticket (California). I've been towing my stacker for about 2 years and 50,000 miles (70,000#, 74.5') with no tickets. There are obvious drawbacks relative to weight, height, suitable rv parks, etc.; but if you actually have use for one within your lifestyle, they can be useful.

Jon Wehrenberg
10-19-2011, 01:32 PM
This is the pilot in me speaking. Limits are established for numerous reasons, most of the time related to safety. In a plane there are limits on weight and balance, air speeds for all sorts of conditions and configurations, temperatures of the cyinder heads or oil, and just about anything else you can think of.

The same is true of our coaches. If we never encountered another vehicle on the road I guess it doesn't matter how much we weigh, how long we are, how fast we drive or how many feet it takes us to stop. But we share the highways with other people who expect everyone else to play by the same rules because sometimes we are only inches apart. Personally I am not concerned about man made laws regarding length or weight unless those limitations are really required due to bridge weight limits, or the radius of turns for example. But I do get very concerned when I see a Prevost that is significantly outside reasonable limits such as weight or length in the outside lane, tailgating a soccer mom in her van driving well in excess of a reasonable speed.

I suspect Joel is below everyone's radar because he drives safely and respects his length and weight.

lbriant
10-19-2011, 06:03 PM
20,000 lb hitches are around $2,200 dollars and have to be partially built in canada then sent to prevo here to get finished being put together, they kept putting the delivery date out one month at a time untill I said forget it!!
had my $1,200 deposit refunded, I am not worried about tickets or being pulled over for not having the proper lisense,
if I were to be involved in an accident even if it was not my fault I would be a free lunch for any good attourny,
No Cdl, to long to heavy I was 13'8 2" taller than legal also, I just bought a lift for my harley and will pull my Jeep Rubicon and I will sleep alot better, I cant afford to be sued and lose my coach ????
install varys texas prevo wanted over $10,000 for the hitch and install I have seen them down around $7,000
Good luck,, and be safe !!!!

Jon Wehrenberg
10-19-2011, 06:45 PM
Larry,

Just be aware if you hang your Harley off the rear of the coach the Prevost limit is 1000 pounds 8" from the bumper. As you go further out with the CG of the load the limit decreases because you are creating a lever arm. For example, if your center of gravity is 16" from the bumper you are now limited to 500 pounds.

That is why I suggested if possible haul the Harley in the rear of a pickup as others do. In fact at POG X some hauled golf carts in the rear of the pickups, and one of our POG members pulled the toad, and then a trailer carrying a utility vehicle behind the toad.

lbriant
10-19-2011, 07:04 PM
Thanks Jon, But you with a Hummer have to know I cant trade the jeep in on a pickup,(I went down and tried to but ended up with a new Jeep ) :) woops
But I think some of the hitch restrictions are for the factory hitch that comes off the center and the overkbuilt attaches all across the back works off two outside recivers and has side plates, my scooter is around 600lbs, That dosent mean I am 100% clear but the previous owner already had the reciver on the coach I just bought the lift,
I feel alot better with it than the stacker I almost bought,
I wouldnt be against putting the 20.000 cradle on but no time right now??? I will watch it close, Thanks Buddy !!

chtree
10-19-2011, 08:43 PM
:DHey guys,

I've heard folks talk about some kind of length exemption if one is affiliated with the racing industry. Is anyone else aware of any such policy?

Those big trailers sure look good behind a coach!

Good luck,

Chris

Jon Wehrenberg
10-20-2011, 07:05 AM
Larry,

No matter how you attach receivers to the rear of the coach, the bottom line is they are all hanging on the end of the arms which form the engine cradle. The engine cradle was designed for a seated coach and not to have us use it to support a lot of weight due to trailers. Take care and inspect for evidence of cracking at every opportunity.

lbriant
10-20-2011, 10:13 AM
Then the 20,000lb cradle proably wouldnt help because it is just shimmed inside the frame probably right?
the frame would bare the same load. it would just be more weight!
I will keep a close eye on it! anyone else have problems on here with a motorcycle lift?

jack14r
10-20-2011, 12:31 PM
North Carolina passed a new general statute last year and it allows a toater home or coach with trailer to be 90 feet as long as it is being used in conjunction with auto racing.

Jon Wehrenberg
10-20-2011, 01:10 PM
The 20,000# upgrade I believe increases the max tongue weight to 2000# which may be adequate for a motorcycle carrier. Depends on how far out the weight is hung.

lbriant
10-20-2011, 10:13 PM
Yea, i dont really understand that cause the cradle is bolted straight to the frame,(with some shimming) so increasing the cradle still puts the same weight on the frame rails in the back? and the bike mount mounts to the cradle and big sideplates welded on the frame

travelite
10-20-2011, 10:42 PM
FWIW, here's the engine cradle for a 1999 XL:

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-eiOQNQEsE9k/TqDb2WfDHbI/AAAAAAAAEX8/OaFLnHkNVXA/s640/1999PrevostEngineCradle.JPG

Gary Carmichael
10-21-2011, 06:41 AM
This thread is good, my wife wants a trailer to put her long arm quilting machine in! But now I can tell her it will be to much strain on the coach. A good thing because it is just less stuff to haul around. and God knows I have enough at home, just unhook the toad, park and have a beer! Now that's what I am talking about, Oh I forgot the good cigar.

Jon Wehrenberg
10-21-2011, 07:17 AM
Thanks, David. That shows clearly how most of the weight of the engine is hanging out there on the end of two arms. It doesn't reflect that there is some limited counterbalance from the transmission which extends forward. It makes it apparent that weight on the hitch has a disproportionate impact on the forces acting at the rear of the cradle.

travelite
10-21-2011, 08:03 AM
Here's a view of the rear subframe structure with the cantilevered engine beams. The engine cradle, pictured above, slides on the engine beams shown in this view:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-DORSSxuUaIs/TqFfKW6wOAI/AAAAAAAAEYE/JC-8LG5jRuc/s640/PrevostRearSection.JPG

travelite
10-21-2011, 08:12 AM
Here's a view of the Right Rear Structure. Component (62) is the engine beam that the engine cradle slides on. You can see that there is a horizontal component (42) that connects the engine beam to the side structure:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-X1cHH3NfRW8/TqFhJ3r6K1I/AAAAAAAAEYM/1kBuwyV-Vyc/s640/PrevostRHRearStructure.JPG

travelite
10-21-2011, 08:16 AM
Yet another view where the engine beams are clearly visible:

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-nesA9bJiGBs/TqFibaYOCzI/AAAAAAAAEYU/1g7naPUCHUQ/s640/PrevostRearCapStructure.JPG

Jon Wehrenberg
10-21-2011, 09:11 AM
That last illustration David attached shows how a flexing of the cradle (the arms springing up and down) shows up on the rear cap as stress fractures. The attachement to the upper structure of the coach by the arms contributes some strength to the cantilevered arms, but you should note that the arms are substantially inboard of the outer vertical members, so as the engine cradle arms are flexing up and down, there will also be some flexing up and down in the horizontal members which extend outward from the cradle to the rear vertical members. But the bottom line is that adding a ton of weight on the hitch exerts a lot of force on the entire rear structure of the engine cradle arms and upper structure of the coach. I strongly suspect a 40 foot coach can tolerate a whole lot more tongue weight than a 45 foot coach.

jack14r
10-21-2011, 09:21 AM
I cannot find any spec that states a 2000 LBS tongue weight only 1500 LBS for tongue weight.

travelite
10-21-2011, 09:32 AM
There's one other component, the diagonal labeled (34) in the attached drawing. This diagonal further supports the engine beam. One end is attached to the engine beam the other end attaches to house framework. Initially I thought it tied into the 3"x9" rear sub frame rails but it doesn't. Lots of areas to check for cracks.

That's it for pictures folks! :)

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-Orz7SP7stvk/TqFztXt0SBI/AAAAAAAAEYk/PHJMeFUzocQ/s640/PrevostEngineBeamDiagonal.JPG

Jon Wehrenberg
10-21-2011, 01:25 PM
What that item 34 does is support the cradle arms, but since it does not attach to the subframe around the rear axles it is ultimately pulling on the rear structure as the cradle flexes up and down.

Jack, Prevost may have new limits. If my brain is functioning properly I recall the cradle reinforcement at one time was rated for a 2000 pound hitch weight. I don't know if Prevost revised their limitation or if there is different limitation for 40 and 45 foot coaches.

The illustrations David posted sure make the situation very clearly understood and as he states in his last post there are a lot of areas to inspect for stress or fatigue cracking. If cracking is found I wonder if the repair is to weld the crack or to plate the crack and weld it. Plating is likely to just tend to relocate the cracks that occur in the future to the next weakest point.

travelite
10-21-2011, 08:36 PM
I'd probably weld the crack and place a couple of nicely arced gussets spanning the crack interface on both faces of each orthogonal member and reduce the load:

http://static.speedwaymotors.com/RS/SR/Product/91073055_R.jpg

lbriant
10-22-2011, 07:33 PM
I will keep you posted,
My lift will be here next week, my bus already had one on it but they took the lift with them I just have the three recivers on the back, bolted and welded on,
I will be pulling our Jeep wrangler unlimited behind the Bike lift,
Thanks for all the imput and nice pictures!!
the good lord willing we wont have any issues,